Used 2006 Pontiac Torrent SUV Consumer Reviews - 154 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Pontiac Torrent SUV - Consumer Reviews

2006 Pontiac Torrent SUV

View reviews for a specific Torrent model:

Please don't buy this truck!
By Naomi Milligan

2006 Pontiac Torrent SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my 2006 Pontiac Torrent used but 'GM certified' the day after I drove it off the lot I had to take it back for an oil pan seal (luckily the dealer covered that since I had the car less than 24 hours) that was just the beginning and I should have RAN!! I have had this truck 3 years and thus far I have replaced the following: tires, 16 wheel bearings (all by different mechanics to rule out mechanics error), rear end, carrier bearing, CV axles (front and rear), brakes and rotors, 4 alignments (to try and fix the wheel bearing issue), ball joints, control arms, EGR tube, ABS sensor, factory radio (switched for an actermarket as I've heard of sooooo many issues with the factory ones), cruise control, steering column, windshield washer motor, windshield (x3 don't let a pebble hit the glass, ever!), and after JUST putting over a grand in to it not even a month later (which seems to be about the timeline I get in between repairs) the check engine light is on, the alternator is going out, and there is an all too familiar grinding starting back up. I have actually decided to get a second vehicle as this one is in the shop SO MUCH and every time I go to sell it, something else BREAKS and I have to get it repaired. I am not one to beat my vehicles up (I hate paying for repairs!) and this thing STILL is nothing but problems! The interior is also cheaply made as there is paint coming off the door handles and the radio surround. Oh! And the bumper brackets broke about a month after I bought it (and continued to break) so I got innovative and started using cable ties, probably the most reliable part on this entire vehicle!!! STAY AWAY FROM THIS VEHICLE AT ALL COST!!!! I've estimated about 8 grand (so far) in repairs and as soon as the check engine light came on it started idling hard (non-permissible content removed)!

Spacious, Comfortable, Fun to Drive, Good Value
By aldwis25

2006 Pontiac Torrent SUV 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Bought used at 5K mi., has +97K mi. now. Overall reliable, comfortable, smooth ride, fun to drive. Get about 17 city/24 hwy mpg. Pros: Very spacious front/rear seating and cargo space; comfortable; reliable; smooth ride for low-price basic crossover class (broad wheel base). Cons: Replaced heating/A/C actuator motor at 53K (+$900 repair) but was GM recall later - contacted dealer, reimbursed same day; replaced wheel bearings at 75K; replaced bolts on exhaust at 86K (apparently common problem on Torrent and Equinox - made exhaust loud - easy $20 fix); slow pick-up at acceleration; odd window controls placement (all in front seat center console).

Spacious driver/passenger seating and cargo space; good ground clearance and upright seating (easy to get in and out for those who are tall or have mobility issues); fun ride; smooth ride for basic crossover class; options: sunroof (nice size, no problems), steering wheel radio and cruise controls (no problems).

Started great but ended badly!
By timmy78

2006 Pontiac Torrent SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 2006 Pontiac Torrent in 2009 with only 22k miles on it. The first year and a half, the vehicle was the best that I'd owned. Drove from Memphis, TN to Gatlingburg in the snow, Hattisburg, MS, Meridian, MS, Jonesboro, AR, and Little Rock, AR with no problems. But during my trip to Little Rock, it seemed like I was having trans problems. When I took it to the trans shop, they said it was a speed sensor. Needless to say, the speed sensor kept messing up. I had it replaced 4 times before getting rid of the vehicle. Now, my ex-fiancee's aunt has replaced the trans but the problems persists. And the paint is peeling.

AWD, sits high, handles snow and wet roads

Recall all of these vehicles and find out why the speed sensor malfunctions

This will be my last GM vechile
By variety

2006 Pontiac Torrent SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

We loved the looks of this car and for the first year it was a solid car.
After that it has been all down hill.
We have now replaced all four wheel bearings and it the paint started flaking off around 50k.
We now have a large spot on the driver side and on the tailgate.
Our dealer told us this was not covered under the supplimental rust protectant we got because it was an issue with the paint.

Looks

Build quality

2006 Not Worth It
By archie74

2006 Pontiac Torrent SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Paint on drivers side rear wheel started peeling after 4 years. Dealer dismissed this as it was off warranty and nothing they could do. Paint is now peeling on tailgate, front passenger 1/4, rear driver 1/4 panel and inside the rear passenger door. I'm waiting to see if GM is going to step up as this is not the result of normal wear and tear.
Inferior paint
is a known problem on 2006 models.