2006 Pontiac Torrent SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Torrent model:
Spacious, Comfortable, Fun to Drive, Good Value
By aldwis25 on 09/01/13 07:07 AM (PDT)

2006 Pontiac Torrent SUV 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Bought used at 5K mi., has +97K mi. now. Overall reliable, comfortable, smooth ride, fun to drive. Get about 17 city/24 hwy mpg. Pros: Very spacious front/rear seating and cargo space; comfortable; reliable; smooth ride for low-price basic crossover class (broad wheel base). Cons: Replaced heating/A/C actuator motor at 53K (+$900 repair) but was GM recall later - contacted dealer, reimbursed same day; replaced wheel bearings at 75K; replaced bolts on exhaust at 86K (apparently common problem on Torrent and Equinox - made exhaust loud - easy $20 fix); slow pick-up at acceleration; odd window controls placement (all in front seat center console).

Started great but ended badly!
By timmy78 on 08/12/13 15:21 PM (PDT)

2006 Pontiac Torrent SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 2006 Pontiac Torrent in 2009 with only 22k miles on it. The first year and a half, the vehicle was the best that I'd owned. Drove from Memphis, TN to Gatlingburg in the snow, Hattisburg, MS, Meridian, MS, Jonesboro, AR, and Little Rock, AR with no problems. But during my trip to Little Rock, it seemed like I was having trans problems. When I took it to the trans shop, they said it was a speed sensor. Needless to say, the speed sensor kept messing up. I had it replaced 4 times before getting rid of the vehicle. Now, my ex-fiancee's aunt has replaced the trans but the problems persists. And the paint is peeling.

This will be my last GM vechile
By variety on 08/31/11 18:54 PM (PDT)

2006 Pontiac Torrent SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

We loved the looks of this car and for the first year it was a solid car. After that it has been all down hill. We have now replaced all four wheel bearings and it the paint started flaking off around 50k. We now have a large spot on the driver side and on the tailgate. Our dealer told us this was not covered under the supplimental rust protectant we got because it was an issue with the paint.

2006 Not Worth It
By archie74 on 04/08/11 17:44 PM (PDT)

2006 Pontiac Torrent SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Paint on drivers side rear wheel started peeling after 4 years. Dealer dismissed this as it was off warranty and nothing they could do. Paint is now peeling on tailgate, front passenger 1/4, rear driver 1/4 panel and inside the rear passenger door. I'm waiting to see if GM is going to step up as this is not the result of normal wear and tear. Inferior paint is a known problem on 2006 models.

PIECE OF CRAP!!!
By NRBO on 12/02/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2006 Pontiac Torrent SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

This make is a piece of crap. 2nd year fuel pump went out, third year the entire ignition system went out. 4th year the heater quits working - apparently this has happened to thousand of this model but GM refuses a recall - the part costs $22 but it costs $1500 for labor because to replace the part requires removal of the entire front section of the car. Look it up - blender acuerator. My mechanic says it is the poorest designed car he has ever seen and won't even attempt to replace that part. I am getting rid of this piece of junk as soon as I can. It is winter in the south and no heater. The dealership just laughed when asked about ongoing issues with this car.

Get to know your mechanic!
By callaann27 on 08/30/10 13:44 PM (PDT)

2006 Pontiac Torrent SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Torrent used with 70,000. Around 80K I replaced a wheel bearing and it stopped heating. By 90K I had blown head gaskets twice and made the decision to put a new motor in it with 44K. This motor is running much smoother but my engine light stays on at all times. Going on 95K on the body and my struts need to be replaced and another set of tires. I need to get this car paid off and move on from GM.

I love my TORRENT!
By jkmint18 on 08/26/10 19:53 PM (PDT)

2006 Pontiac Torrent SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this vehicle from a family friend who runs the hummer dealership, he said even though Pontiac is out of bus, their cars are still reliable. relatively low miles when purchased, and i've had no problems with this vehicle. Just turned 18, my first car, paying for it myself. want to eventually buy a torrent GXP and bump up to a 263 hp engine. I LOVE MY TORRENT.

Caution Danger!
By Kirby on 07/13/10 18:57 PM (PDT)

2006 Pontiac Torrent SUV 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Until now, I had been very happy with my Torrent which I had purchased less than a year ago. Although, my recent experience has left me terrified of the vehicle. I been driving for four hours in the middle of the summer when without any warning whatsoever my car had died. I lost all steering and veered to the side of the road. A bad alternator had caused the car to die. Because of this, the power lock doors and windows would not open. I was trapped inside my Pontiac Torrent midsummer in 37 degree Celsius sun unable to open any doors or windows. I had learned the hard way there is no emergency release within the vehicle to unlock the doors and car windows.

Excellent Vehicle, Price and Durability
By Moe on 05/19/10 16:37 PM (PDT)

2006 Pontiac Torrent SUV 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I've owned this vehicle for nearly 4 years. The interior is spaceous, providing plenty of room for passengers in both the front and back seats. Never had any problems with engine, transmission or brakes. I maintain my vehicle every 3,000 miles and rotate tires per 6,000 miles. Replaced tires at 53,000. Only wish I had insisted on a sunroof and leather interior. No complaints!

Good Value! I have loved my Torrent!
By Stacedog on 04/29/10 06:39 AM (PDT)

2006 Pontiac Torrent SUV 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

My Torrent has treated me well! Although, I must say I only drive about 10,000 miles a year. I bought it March 2006 and just had to get new tires about a month ago. I have not had any problems with mine at all up until this week. My check engine light came on? I have not gotten it checked out yet but I really don't think it could be much of anything since I have so few miles. Besides that, I LOVE driving it and really has been a good car, especially for what I paid for it!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.