2005 Pontiac Sunfire - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sunfire model:
Good Car, Some Faults
By davyd on 09/04/11 14:09 PM (PDT)

2005 Pontiac Sunfire 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I got an '05 Sunfire with roughly 117000 miles on it, it's still going strong! Except the gauges... I'm not sure if it has something to do with the heat, but everything works at night and in the mornings. But everyday after school, after my car has been sitting in the sun for 8 hours, the gauges like to "stick". I don't know if this is happenign to everyone or just me. I think it's a very nice first car, it's got a nice accelation, and gass isn't too terrible on it. But my only problem with it is the Gauges. I'm not sure if it's electrical and can be fixed manually, but if anyone knows anything, please tell me.

Happy so far!
By swimtime7 on 08/17/11 19:03 PM (PDT)

2005 Pontiac Sunfire 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

We just purchased my first car... 2005 Pontiac Sunfire base with air conditioning being the only option, no power windows, no power locks. It was 4000 with 86,100 miles on it. Obviously, since it's my first car I love it, but seriously this is a fun car to drive, and the 5 speed stick shift just adds to the fun! This is the best year reliability wise for the Sunfire, and in my opinion I think this was the best design of the Sunfire series. I do wish i at least had a cassette or cd player, but until i come up with the $$ for a new head unit, my Belkin Auto FM Transmitter will do just fine. So far so good!

6 yrs and going strong
By ddeaves on 08/01/11 00:16 AM (PDT)

2005 Pontiac Sunfire Special Value 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my little sunfire new in 2005. I got the sport package with the snazzy wheels and side designs. I have had more complements on this Electric Blue car, than my red mustang! It just looks FAST and sporty. I'm not even a big fan of blue, but people love it. I have never had to do a thing to it, just reg. oil changes, runs great. I only have 35,000 miles on it, but I'm pretty rough on a car, and it has done well, and is still BEAUTIFUL. I have the 5 speed manuel, gets good gas mileage, about 33 hwy, 25 in town. My kids all say it is a really rough passenger ride, but as the driver, I don't notice it. It has a lot of get up and go (torque).

Loved my Sunfire
By banaMwape on 10/19/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Pontiac Sunfire Special Value 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

It's been almost a year since I lost my Sunfire, but I loved it! Tires were the only regular problem I had. But after four years, the battery only stalled on me once, and the window motor started shorting. But those were minor problems compared to the fact that I was able to move efficiently. I took many 14 hour road trips in my little sunfire. Comfort was a bit short on those trips, but gas mileage could not match to most other cars. $60 could get me from Tucson to Dallas easy. I loved the sunroof. Rarely used the MP3 player. Loved the sound. Loved the mobility. Loved the style. It was my first car so maybe I'm a bit bias here, but still! Pontiac Sunfire = Amazing First Car!

05 Pontiac Sunfire
By ladevic on 09/12/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Pontiac Sunfire 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my sunfire with 5,000 miles on it. It had done well besides some issues.. The first was the dash, had to replace that after two weeks since the gauges all fell.. now my problem is the electrical, things keep shorting out.. other than that the car is great. Drive to NY twice a year 700 miles each way, to Fla each year and to work each day. Knock on wood, it hasn't failed me yet. Great at high speeds, low speeds and gas mileage is the best. Oil changes every 5-7000 miles..

Love this car but frustrated
By chyil on 09/07/10 12:33 PM (PDT)

2005 Pontiac Sunfire 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I would buy another Sunfire in a heartbeat. My frustration right now is finding the parts I need to keep my 2005 running so I can keep it a while. I have been looking on line and cannot get a clear name and purchase price for the parts I need. If anyone can help me I would appreciate it. I want purchase the parts so my fiance can put them on. I need a hanger/bracket for my muffler it is swaying and squeaking. I need a trunk latch and or cable. I have not been able to use it for 2 years either sticks close or pops open while driving. I need a washer fluid reservoir mine has a hole in it. And I do not know what I need for a tachometer sticks when over 100 degrees.

every thing keeps breaking
By John on 01/04/10 14:33 PM (PST)

2005 Pontiac Sunfire 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The car broke the third day we owned it. the fuel injecter went out then it was the coil pack, that went out. the the transmission is slipping and instrament pannel has allmost gone complety out.

Sturdy, Cheap, A to B vehicle.
By Monopoly on 12/16/09 18:20 PM (PST)

2005 Pontiac Sunfire 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new and currently have 161000kms. Car rattles like crazy and is really starting to show its age. in 05' it was the most powerful, affordable eco-car in its class. My base model manual trans black 2dr with decent tires is peppy in a straight line but handles horribly. The seats are unbearingly uncomfortable for long trips. Good things about it is they are super cheap for everything incl. parts and insurance. fuel econ is decent. I avg 600kms a 53L tank mixed driving. I noticed these cars are approx $4000 for one in OK condition. pick one up if your on a budget. itl make a great short commuter and has a reliable drive train. watch for everything else. GM's tend to fall apart at 120kms

not terrible, but not great either
By ash_ley on 06/07/09 22:29 PM (PDT)

2005 Pontiac Sunfire 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

drives great, but weird clunking noise coming from the right dash. dont know what it could be.. dealer claims to not hear it. exterior of car is amazing, love the color and style. fits my personality perfectly.

Great car for the money
By hami5150 on 03/15/09 17:59 PM (PDT)

2005 Pontiac Sunfire Special Value 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I got this one brand new, and the only major problem I have had was a flat tire. The car runs very smooth, and handles well, although the windshield frame proves to be a slight blind spot at times, and the design of the interior make it difficult to see into lanes to the right/rear. Engine-wise, not a problem yet. Friend of mine has an Elantra, and paid at least 5k more, and I would still rather have the Sunfire. Mine is a manual trans, and even though i only get 140hp, it still kicks a little when i need it