Used 2004 Pontiac Sunfire Special Value Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Pontiac Sunfire - Consumer Reviews

2004 Pontiac Sunfire

View reviews for a specific Sunfire model:

If you have one of these, sell it!
By ahnalia

2004 Pontiac Sunfire Special Value 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

First the ICP had to be replaced, then the transmission started acting up, then the key wouldn't come out of the ignition, but the final straw is the fact at a mere 25 mile per hour front end collsion, the car I hit was fine with very little damage.. my sunfire on the otherhand, was completely and utterly destroyed. The airbags did deploy, and no one was seriously hurt, but the car itself, I am beyond words of how utterly destroyed the car is. Total loss, engine is nearly inside the dashboard, window shattered, hood is almost up to the windshield. Flimsy design and completely unsafe IMO. If you own one of these, sell it NOW! You may be saving a life! I will NEVER buy another GM car-ever!

Favorite Features

well is WAS cute to look at...

Suggested Improvements

none since the car is no longer made.

I Love My Sunfire
By Sherrona

2004 Pontiac Sunfire Special Value 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

After test driving the Pontiac Solstice (and deciding I wanted the car) I spotted a used rally yellow Sunfire for a third of the price in the car lot. I was sold after just two blocks of the test drive and a year later, I have nothing but great things to say about this car. My only expenditures have been gas and a couple oil changes. You turn the key and the car starts and is the most reliable vehicle I've ever driven. I recommend this care Sunfire to anyone who wants a reliable, economical vehicle that's fun to drive. Love the sunroof & the stereo (above average). Only drawback is the police love to stop me ---sporty car profiling at it's worse as I've yet to get a ticket!

Favorite Features

Sunroof, cat-eye front and overall great sporty look. Extremely reliabile and cost-efficient. Always starts, great pickup. Gorgeous rally yellow colour and everyone who sees it thinks it's a brand new car....even though it's five years old! Paint is in immaculate condition.

Suggested Improvements

Change the console cup holder: It's too close to the dash, blocks the heater controls and doesn't accomodate large or tall drink cups. Remove or replace the front seat shoulder strap holders: can't fit seat covers and the strap trips up anyone trying to get into the back. And rear window wiper.

My first car!
By L33y4

2004 Pontiac Sunfire Special Value 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I recently bought this car used with only 50,000 km on it. It was extremely cheap, and that's why I got it. Its my first manual transmission, and it's so fun to drive! Nothing has gone wrong yet, and hopefully won't for a while! Though the 2 middle air vents don't work. I didn't realize it until after I got the car. I'm sure its fixable though. Before this I drove a cheap little Korean car, and compared to that thing, the Sunfire looks and feels like a $40,000 car! I will never drive foreign again! American cars have more fun features to offer with better quality too! Besides the body lasts forever on American.

Favorite Features

The double chrome exhausts (GT version), the general appearance, good sound system, great acceleration for a 2.3L engine, its got plenty of power to pick up speed quickly on the highway. (unlike my old car which accelerated so slow that I almost got run over by transports a few times.)

Suggested Improvements

The stupid seatbelt holding harness which prevents putting seat covers on. (Not all sunfires have this) apparently to remove it you have to buy a tool, but I just sawed it off because it were cheaper. Also I hate that in the bright daylight you can't see the time, and the dashboard rattles.

Car
By Heather

2004 Pontiac Sunfire Special Value 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new and have already had problems with the engine. They had to replace the engine at 10,000, a factory defect. I have not been happy with this vehicle from the start and wanted to return it, but they would not. Once a lemon always a lemon, now I have 54,000 km on it and one of the bearing is totally disintegrated. Now Gm is wondering why, purpose because it was a lemon from the beginning. I am not carless, they do not give courtesy cars to powertrain warranty customers and they seem to be taking there sweet time. I put in several complaints about this car in the past and got no where. I'm sure they just thought I was a complainer. HATE this car,never will buy again

Favorite Features

Sunroof is the summer

Suggested Improvements

make sure they are build completely before you sell to customer and respect the customers wishes and take the vehicle back when they know, it's a LEMON from the beginning. Especially when they admit that it was the factories fault!!!

best small gm car ever
By maureen s.

2004 Pontiac Sunfire Special Value 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second sunfire purchase and I love this one as much as the first if not more. It's a great car and I have no complaints at all.

Favorite Features

My favorite features on my new car are the small changes in appearance, such as the body, head/fog lights and interior features like the dashboard.

Suggested Improvements

none.