2004 Pontiac Sunfire - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sunfire model:
If you have one of these, sell it!
By ahnalia on 08/08/14 03:03 AM (PDT)

2004 Pontiac Sunfire Special Value 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

First the ICP had to be replaced, then the transmission started acting up, then the key wouldn't come out of the ignition, but the final straw is the fact at a mere 25 mile per hour front end collsion, the car I hit was fine with very little damage.. my sunfire on the otherhand, was completely and utterly destroyed. The airbags did deploy, and no one was seriously hurt, but the car itself, I am beyond words of how utterly destroyed the car is. Total loss, engine is nearly inside the dashboard, window shattered, hood is almost up to the windshield. Flimsy design and completely unsafe IMO. If you own one of these, sell it NOW! You may be saving a life! I will NEVER buy another GM car-ever!

I'm having doubts
By ahnalia on 01/27/14 23:42 PM (PST)

2004 Pontiac Sunfire 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have read a lot of good reviews about this car. I found one for sale with very low mileage, only 70k miles. Within 2 days of buying it, the ICP went out, so I had to replace that for $230.00. Not even a week later there was a loud knocking noice when I turned on the defroster, so now that will need replaced too. I know when you buy a used car, you take a risk, but I have -never- had a car start having problems within TWO days of buying it. It seems to drive OK, but I am having a lot of doubts about tyhe electrical system. It does handle good on ice, but doesn't have a lot of "Get up and go" it feels sort of laggy. It is a pretty car though, but still, I'm not impressed.

Best car I've ever owed!
By holly4troy on 12/15/11 09:34 AM (PST)

2004 Pontiac Sunfire 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I am in search of another car due to a collision with a deer and am so disappointed because I loved both my Sunfires I have owed. My first was a 2004 yellow Sunfire and most recently at 2005 orange Sunfire. They both were always reliable, never had any problems with either one except for the CD player in my most recent. Never could get it to work properly without it wanted to eat a CD. Other than that, I LOVED both cars and wish I could find another! ** I had to select a model but both were automatic and not 5 speed but automatic was not an option to choose.

Want it back
By 67carjunkie on 09/04/11 21:39 PM (PDT)

2004 Pontiac Sunfire 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I loved my car until I got hit on the back right side. Edmunds said that it has poor side crash test mine survived the crash much better then the 08 civic. Was not the fastest car but it was decent just couldn't get me out of the crash. Edmunds also said not that fast but I beat a brand new mazda 6 with a 04 sunfire that had 4 cylinders.

Little Maintenance Requiered
By Corey on 10/27/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Pontiac Sunfire 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my 2004 Sunfire since it had 6 miles on it; oil changes have been at 15,000 miles or more intervals (I use Synthetic. Today well driving to work she just hit 125,000 miles and runs like the day I bought it. The engine runs smooth, still gets 26mpg in the city and 31 on the highway. With all that said I have had few major issues. This year I had to replace the fuel pressure regulator, catalytic converter and the fuel tank purge solenoid. Other than that, 2 set of breaks, 2 ignition modules and 1 set of tires. The car is reliable and has never left me stranded, still has the factory exhaust, serpentine belt, spark plugs and transmission fluid. total Maint cost so far ($2200)

2004 Pontiac Sunfire 2dr Coup 2.2L4cyl
By Myra on 07/25/10 14:54 PM (PDT)

2004 Pontiac Sunfire 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

When I bought this car, it only had 27,000 miles on it. I drive around 100 miles a day. It now has 165,000 miles. Runs like a new one. The only things I have had to replace is the cluster panel, the window motor & regulator and the switch module. Just had to do that recently. As for as the engine nothing, just the regular maintenance. My goal is to get 200,000 miles on it and I should be able to without a problem. I can honestly say it has been one of the best cars I have ever owned.

2004 Pontiac Sunfire
By pepsigirl on 09/22/09 18:30 PM (PDT)

2004 Pontiac Sunfire 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car, I have loved it since I test drove it. I have been getting 32-36 MPG, and NEVER have any problems. I work in a position that requires me to take call at all hours of the day and night, I need a 4 wheel drive now since the snowplows go nite- nite at 8 pm. Cd player, clean, no rust, lots of power, even on the steepest hills. Forest green, (this car is sharp to look at and fun to drive).

5 years and counting...
By jk on 09/06/09 13:16 PM (PDT)

2004 Pontiac Sunfire 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased new in 2004, it now has almost 100,000kms. Anybody expecting luxury and the finest build quality in a Sunfire is barking up the wrong tree. Its an economy car that gets you from A to B. Gas mileage is great in the city/highway, reliability has been good. Biggest issue was having to replace the struts within 1 year of ownership. No problems with transmission or engine. Although the 4 cyl is a peppy engine, its not refined and is harsh above 4,000RPM. Passing power is good with the automatic, hitting it at 70km/h seems to be its sweet spot. Overall a good, practical and fuel efficient car.

Last Model Sunfire Out with a Bang
By Jonny on 07/12/09 12:02 PM (PDT)

2004 Pontiac Sunfire 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The 2004 Pontiac Sunfire was definitely one for the books. With lots of economical problems with the car's history (the older 1990's models and early 2000 models) I expected some high maintenance work. However, I was disappointed at that end. The car's economical ability is standard. Change bulbs when burnt out, fill gas, change oil. The performance is also outstanding considering the heavy body style. With a 2.2L Ecotec engine backed by a 4 speed Automatic Transmission (I also drove a 5 speed manual) you will get the power you need to steer through tight corners while still being able to utilize the agility of the power-to-weight ratio. All in all, a fun car to drive.

problem with brakes and tires a lot
By crisco on 06/22/09 17:29 PM (PDT)

2004 Pontiac Sunfire 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

It is 2009 now and this car was gotten in 2004. It only has 2900 miles on it and I have had to get the breaks replaced twice now. Both times the life time warranty pads have been replaced and the the rotors as well as some other things. There was a recall after a couple years as the check engine light will come on , but they fixed that. I have had to replace the tire a few times now , the front tires wear on this car very quickly as well as the breaks. Also the windshield wipers fluid doesn't last at all. Other than that I haven't had any problems. Although that seems like a lot considering the mileage .It has good handling and looks.