2003 Pontiac Sunfire - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.2L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (65 reviews )
Great Value car
By bilsfire on 07/24/12 07:15 AM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Sunfire 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Car is def. mechanically sound, solid engine and tranny(standard). Interior build quality is less than par, but for the performance factor, you get what you get. The exterior wasnt thought out 100%, the fact that its front wheel drive and comes stock with a rear spoiler, is counterproductive. As long as maintainance is under control, the vehicle will last as long as you last. Oil changes on any smaeller engine aluminum, or otherwise, with higher rev ranges, should be done every 2000-2500 miles as a rule. Performance again is great, the power to weight ratio is above average for the class of car. Plenty of torque for getting going, not too much(spin tires in snow) good horse power.

Not So Great
By dl922 on 03/19/12 00:58 AM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Sunfire 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

These cars have an extremely poor build quality. My center console lid has broken, had to replace one window motor, and another soon, vent selectors don't work, the plastic cladding on the outside of the door gets caught on the fender. The list goes on and on. I've had this car for just over two years, and I simply cannot wait to get rid of it.

I LOVE my Sunfire :)
By kylo1201 on 06/24/11 15:08 PM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Sunfire 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2003 Sunfire brand new with like 134 miles on it. It now has 106k and it still runs great! Its very reliable, I never worry about driving long trips. I know my baby will make it!! I had to get the left front strut replaced once while it was under warranty but no problems since. I replaced both window motors because they both stopped working. But my husband did it himself so it didn't cost very much. But other than that, No problems!!! I wish they still made this car so I can buy another one :)

Great car, no problems at 120k
By fingaz on 04/08/11 11:40 AM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Sunfire 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My dad first purchased the Sunfire new in 2003 as a 2nd vehicle to commute to work. He got it with all the bells and whistles (which only is power windows, A/C, sunroof, monsoon sound system, dual exhaust and spoiler) for only $13,000! I ended up taking the car off his hands and it has NEVER failed me. 120k mile and I have never ever had one problem with it. Of course I keep up with oil changes, tires, brakes and the like. The car still looks current and modern and it does perform well for only having 140 horses!

Cheap Car. Reliable for first 80K mi.
By Annie on 08/28/10 20:47 PM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Sunfire 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This was the first car that I ever bought. Bought it with 32K miles on it. CD player broke after having it a week. Was fixed for free under warranty. Replaced brakes twice, but they are like $15 each. Seats are uncomfortable and front seat belt strap hits you across the neck. Car handles rough and shocks/struts start to go bad. Doesn't have much power. Car handles HORRIBLE in the rain and windy weather. Slow oil leak started around 60K but not a major issue. Fog lamps stopped working around same time. Driver's side door started catching on frame and wouldn't open. Have to get rid of it now at almost 85K because transmission is bad, but has been reliable up until that point.

Love my Pontiac Sunfire
By jrojas on 08/11/10 16:32 PM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Sunfire 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This was my third Pontiac Sunfire. This one had "all" possible options. I love the vehicle; very dependable; great style; love how "peppy" the vehicle is when you step on the gas.

Will never buy a Sunfire again!
By carner on 07/17/10 09:33 AM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Sunfire 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have been in 3 front end crashes and my airbags still have not gone off, kinda scary if you ask me. Very comfortable but no space for drinks. It was a good high school car but not for anything else.

4 door model
By steve b. on 04/18/10 16:04 PM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Sunfire 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Our car is a 2003 4 door model, which i guess was sold only in Canada. It's actually been pretty reliable except for the power windows. I've had to replace the motors in several of the windows,some multiple times, and now this spring they are acting up again.Its about $300 a shot for the motors. Two of the interior door panels have popped loose and the digital clock/radio light has died. I'll be getting rid of it soon.

Love Pontiac
By Air Assault SGT on 12/23/09 11:15 AM (PST)

2003 Pontiac Sunfire 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2003 sunfire and fell in love with it on the test drive. Since I bought it I have changed things that way I can race it. The only issues that I have had are the o2 sensers and the converter. I have almost 200k on it and not one drop of leakage. I have lowered it and uped the hp and it runs like a champ and handles better than any other car that I have drove and I run a low 11sec in the quarter mile. I race my car with a stock engine and it has never let me down. This is by far the best 4cylinder that is out there. Better than the Vtec and the Zetech. Just do your regular maint. on it and it wont let you down. I love my car and it loves me and shows me every race.

A lot of car for the money
By dabug on 10/18/09 12:23 PM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Sunfire 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car 5 years ago with 32k miles. It now has 90k. I did have to replace the fuel pump at about 50k which is very hard to get to and have changed the brakes once. Other than that no major issues. It has the feel and look of a sports car with the economy of a compact. I am now selling it because I want a truck, but I believe it has a lot of life left in it. Also, reading the other reviews I noticed the ones having the most problems are base models, ones like mine with the dual exhaust and other upgrades tend to be more reliable and a lot nicer cars, however they are harder to find.