Used 2003 Pontiac Sunfire Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Pontiac Sunfire - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.2L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (65 reviews )

Great Value car
By bilsfire

2003 Pontiac Sunfire 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Car is def. mechanically sound, solid engine and tranny(standard). Interior build quality is less than par, but for the performance factor, you get what you get. The exterior wasnt thought out 100%, the fact that its front wheel drive and comes stock with a rear spoiler, is counterproductive. As long as maintainance is under control, the vehicle will last as long as you last. Oil changes on any smaeller engine aluminum, or otherwise, with higher rev ranges, should be done every 2000-2500 miles as a rule. Performance again is great, the power to weight ratio is above average for the class of car. Plenty of torque for getting going, not too much(spin tires in snow) good horse power.

Favorite Features

High power curve in upper rev ranges, large oil capacity for engine size, drop in oil filter, great gas milage(even when hammering on it) smart engine placement, and easy to repair engine . Overall, one of my favorite chassis.

Suggested Improvements

Engine parts metric(prefer SAE), rear spoiler, less weight, rear wheel drive, or all wheel.Less trunk space for larger doors(im 6' 183 and fit, and i have slight difficulty getting in. More attention to detail on interior( dash board build quality, seperate gauges instead of cluster, better speaker covers, lighter door latches, stronger seat adjusters, stronger glove box latch, better center console). Price for new vehicle is too high, considering all the above needed improvements. Fire whoever put these cars interior together.

Not So Great
By dl922

2003 Pontiac Sunfire 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

These cars have an extremely poor build quality. My center console lid has broken, had to replace one window motor, and another soon, vent selectors don't work, the plastic cladding on the outside of the door gets caught on the fender. The list goes on and on. I've had this car for just over two years, and I simply cannot wait to get rid of it.

Favorite Features

I like the sunroof, and it does have a sporty ride. The car itself handles pretty well for being an economy car. The mid-level sound system is pretty decent for being factory.

Suggested Improvements

Everything could use improvement.

I LOVE my Sunfire :)
By kylo1201

2003 Pontiac Sunfire 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2003 Sunfire brand new with like 134 miles on it. It now has 106k and it still runs great! Its very reliable, I never worry about driving long trips. I know my baby will make it!! I had to get the left front strut replaced once while it was under warranty but no problems since. I replaced both window motors because they both stopped working. But my husband did it himself so it didn't cost very much. But other than that, No problems!!! I wish they still made this car so I can buy another one :)

Great car, no problems at 120k
By fingaz

2003 Pontiac Sunfire 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My dad first purchased the Sunfire new in 2003 as a 2nd vehicle to commute to work. He got it with all the bells and whistles (which only is power windows, A/C, sunroof, monsoon sound system, dual exhaust and spoiler) for only $13,000! I ended up taking the car off his hands and it has NEVER failed me. 120k mile and I have never ever had one problem with it. Of course I keep up with oil changes, tires, brakes and the like. The car still looks current and modern and it does perform well for only having 140 horses!

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, great value, good on gas.

Suggested Improvements

more power, comfort and more manly. But, hey.. its a cheap commuter car.

Cheap Car. Reliable for first 80K mi.
By Annie

2003 Pontiac Sunfire 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This was the first car that I ever bought. Bought it with 32K miles on it. CD player broke after having it a week. Was fixed for free under warranty. Replaced brakes twice, but they are like $15 each. Seats are uncomfortable and front seat belt strap hits you across the neck. Car handles rough and shocks/struts start to go bad. Doesn't have much power. Car handles HORRIBLE in the rain and windy weather. Slow oil leak started around 60K but not a major issue. Fog lamps stopped working around same time. Driver's side door started catching on frame and wouldn't open. Have to get rid of it now at almost 85K because transmission is bad, but has been reliable up until that point.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Make things sturdier - the outside dents so easily! More comfortable seats.