Used 2002 Pontiac Sunfire Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Pontiac Sunfire - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sunfire model:

fine daily driver
By budneff67

2002 Pontiac Sunfire Coupe SE 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

i've had this car for 7 years now. the only things i've had to fix that aren't considered regular maintenance are; the wire lead to the A/C compressor (stock one is too short and loses connection, wire extension can be purchased from a dealer for pretty cheap), both window motors, and an ABS connector. other than that, the car has been very reliable. i drive it daily here in the hot texas weather. it's not quite as comfortable as my old Mazda MX-6 but a suitable choice for the 1.5 hr round trip for work every day.

Favorite Features

good economy and reliability. the optional sunroof is good (honestly wouldnt buy this car without it). trunk space is good. rear seat folds forward. 4 cup holders is nice. red gauge cluster backlighting is nice vs the old green.

Suggested Improvements

oil filter location is a pain. slightly wider wheels would make this car feel a lot safer. headlights could be better. rear disc brakes would be well worth the extra $$ over the drum brakes. not the most stylish car. fuel tank door is annoyingly on the passenger side.

Horrible Car
By amye87

2002 Pontiac Sunfire Coupe SE 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car almost a year ago and itís absolutely horrible. The first mistake I made was buying it from Car Hop. They charge double than what it is really worth. Within 4 months I had to put a ton of money into it, the brake pads were bad, tires were bad, it needed ball joints amongst other issues. The reason I went with Car Hop is because they claim to be cheaper (not overall) and they allow you to get liability insurance instead of full coverage. Definitely not worth the price. I do like the look and feel of the car, and everything in terms of air, radio and controls work fine, but the internal problems are far too severe. I would not recommend this car to new buyers or lookers.

I loved this car....
By maitresse2109

2002 Pontiac Sunfire Coupe SE 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This was my 2nd car ever, from April of 2006 to this past Monday (7/2/12) when a monster storm hit and did too much damage to be repaired (total loss). I went from 63,000 to 187,000 between 06/2009-06/2012, if that tells you how good this car is. I about cried when they told me I couldn't have it back. Only things I've ever had to replace (besides tires/brakes) was the water pump and snake belt, which together was only 250, and the alternator went out this year and was 300. That's less than 600 for all the wear and tear I figured I have put on it. If it hadn't been for the storm I could've most likely driven this car another 3-5 years. Gonna miss, that is for sure.

Favorite Features

Amazing gas mileage for an older model car (we did 1400 mi. on 3 tanks just 2 months ago); easy upkeep; turns really smooth; liked just about everything on this car.

Suggested Improvements

Really not suited for car seats, and the back seat goes a bit too low for anyone 5'8" and taller. The doors are quite heavy for a coupe, about knocked myself out a few times.

Great Car
By expressfanatic

2002 Pontiac Sunfire Coupe SE 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My partner has owned this car since 2009. He has had no problems what so ever with the car other then wrecking it twice. Since we have been together, and i have been doing most of the driving, i have been taking care of the odds and ends. This car has 177,600 miles on it, and still runs like a champ. I have had the oil changed numerous times(as all he did was add oil when needed), tune-up, Throttle Position Sensor, and soon a O2 sensor. We drive the car about 300 miles a day, and have no problems.

Favorite Features

All around this is a strong running car. Only minor fixes.

Suggested Improvements

Softer Seats

The odds and ends just the ends
By bob

2002 Pontiac Sunfire Coupe SE 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

fuel pumps go bad, and my chain snapped at 120,000 but other than that lol, my advice change fuel filter every 30k and change your timing at 100k