2002 Pontiac Sunfire - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sunfire model:
fine daily driver
By budneff67 on 10/20/13 11:59 AM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

i've had this car for 7 years now. the only things i've had to fix that aren't considered regular maintenance are; the wire lead to the A/C compressor (stock one is too short and loses connection, wire extension can be purchased from a dealer for pretty cheap), both window motors, and an ABS connector. other than that, the car has been very reliable. i drive it daily here in the hot texas weather. it's not quite as comfortable as my old Mazda MX-6 but a suitable choice for the 1.5 hr round trip for work every day.

Horrible Car
By amye87 on 10/19/13 08:18 AM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car almost a year ago and itÂ’s absolutely horrible. The first mistake I made was buying it from Car Hop. They charge double than what it is really worth. Within 4 months I had to put a ton of money into it, the brake pads were bad, tires were bad, it needed ball joints amongst other issues. The reason I went with Car Hop is because they claim to be cheaper (not overall) and they allow you to get liability insurance instead of full coverage. Definitely not worth the price. I do like the look and feel of the car, and everything in terms of air, radio and controls work fine, but the internal problems are far too severe. I would not recommend this car to new buyers or lookers.

I loved this car....
By maitresse2109 on 07/04/12 20:55 PM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This was my 2nd car ever, from April of 2006 to this past Monday (7/2/12) when a monster storm hit and did too much damage to be repaired (total loss). I went from 63,000 to 187,000 between 06/2009-06/2012, if that tells you how good this car is. I about cried when they told me I couldn't have it back. Only things I've ever had to replace (besides tires/brakes) was the water pump and snake belt, which together was only 250, and the alternator went out this year and was 300. That's less than 600 for all the wear and tear I figured I have put on it. If it hadn't been for the storm I could've most likely driven this car another 3-5 years. Gonna miss, that is for sure.

Great Car
By expressfanatic on 04/27/12 12:54 PM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My partner has owned this car since 2009. He has had no problems what so ever with the car other then wrecking it twice. Since we have been together, and i have been doing most of the driving, i have been taking care of the odds and ends. This car has 177,600 miles on it, and still runs like a champ. I have had the oil changed numerous times(as all he did was add oil when needed), tune-up, Throttle Position Sensor, and soon a O2 sensor. We drive the car about 300 miles a day, and have no problems.

The odds and ends just the ends
By bob on 10/23/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

fuel pumps go bad, and my chain snapped at 120,000 but other than that lol, my advice change fuel filter every 30k and change your timing at 100k

Awesome car!
By Rachel on 08/11/10 22:32 PM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 2006 with barely 25,000 miles on it. I never had ANY problems with it, aside from totaling it last week. This car was never to the mechanic and ran very smoothly. The one thing I would've changed would have been a roomier back seat. The cup holders were also in an unpleasant spot. Extremely reliable car! I'm going to miss mine so much!

A Reliable Cheap Car
By Luke on 05/19/10 08:22 AM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been more than dependable. It has held up through 3 teenagers, a papaer route, pizza delievery, and everything in between. My only complain is the suspension. It just isn't right. it edge wears tires like no other and there is nothing you can do. The Strut bearings go bad super fast, but the ball joints and tie rod ends hold up. Very Dependable. it has never left me stranded. I have has the car a long time, and it has 135k on it, still runs like a champ. been child abused, and killed with miles, hardly ever maintenance it, and its still a good car. For the price, you almost can't beat it, other than insurance. Sport Coupe. I Recommend this car to anyone needing a cheap ride.

Still great after 8 years
By Vivian on 04/18/10 20:36 PM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought it brand new in 2002, little white coupe. Manual 5 speed with a 4 cyl, gets 33 mpg on highway. Just worried about all the bigger cars on the road not seeing me. Great car, no major problems.

Reliable, Dependable, Fun
By LOVEIT on 04/27/08 09:22 AM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have never had a problem with my car. Regular oil changes, change of battery, new front brakes, and this car still runs like a champ. I have no plans to buy a new car, as this one still runs like it did when it was brand new! I am happy with this car, it has never let me down, as others have. I have complete faith in a Pontiac, now more than ever. Keep your foreign cars. This one is built right here, in the USA...

Disapointment
By DM on 08/17/07 09:23 AM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is my wife's car and I loathe the day I have to drive it. It handles like a top heavy SUV, the seats have no support and no comfort adjustments, and it has no power to accelerate unless you push it off a cliff (I've considered it). The Insurance Institue of America provides crash ratings for all vehicles. If the impact is over 40mph on this car expect death and or dismemberment for all passengers.