Used 2002 Pontiac Sunfire Consumer Reviews - 52 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Pontiac Sunfire - Consumer Reviews

2002 Pontiac Sunfire

View reviews for a specific Sunfire model:

Love this car
By Connie

2002 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought car new in 2002 because I liked the body style and color. Drove car liked way it handled. Never had problems just regular maintenance. Just had to replace brake hose car has 189,000 miles I put all those miles on it. Has a surface rust spot about size of silver dollar. Always take pride in my cars and take good care of them. Just sorry not able to get a new one. When I have to trade this one in. Already have a buyer waiting.

Great RELIABLE car that I miss in so many ways
By moed88

2002 Pontiac Sunfire SE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Mine was 4dr automatic trans. Had for 10 years, 135,000 miles. Bought as a commuter car and I give it 5 stars for that purpose. Fit and finish not so great; and cheesy design cues like the body cladding, chrome hub caps, and spoiler weren't necessary. But this car ran like a champ. No fluid or oil leaks EVER and timing CHAIN never failed. Mileage was solid 30's in mixed driving (high 20's with a/c on). Any maintenance was very simple and inexpensive. Tires cheap to replace due to small size. Finally sold it b/c P0440 evap code came up and I decided to put money towards a small SUV (I'm very outdoorsy).
Great Corolla alternative.

Timing chain!

4sp automatic trans meant that MPG dropped when driving over 55mph. If you were going 45 mph your mpg would be close to 40 mpg maybe even higher. Modern cars have 5sp or 6sp automatics which really help for highway driving at higher speeds.

fine daily driver
By budneff67

2002 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

i've had this car for 7 years now. the only things i've had to fix that aren't considered regular maintenance are; the wire lead to the A/C compressor (stock one is too short and loses connection, wire extension can be purchased from a dealer for pretty cheap), both window motors, and an ABS connector. other than that, the car has been very reliable. i drive it daily here in the hot texas weather. it's not quite as comfortable as my old Mazda MX-6 but a suitable choice for the 1.5 hr round trip for work every day.

good economy and reliability. the optional sunroof is good (honestly wouldnt buy this car without it). trunk space is good. rear seat folds forward. 4 cup holders is nice. red gauge cluster backlighting is nice vs the old green.

oil filter location is a pain. slightly wider wheels would make this car feel a lot safer. headlights could be better. rear disc brakes would be well worth the extra $$ over the drum brakes. not the most stylish car. fuel tank door is annoyingly on the passenger side.

Horrible Car
By amye87

2002 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car almost a year ago and itÂ’s absolutely horrible. The first mistake I made was buying it from Car Hop. They charge double than what it is really worth. Within 4 months I had to put a ton of money into it, the brake pads were bad, tires were bad, it needed ball joints amongst other issues. The reason I went with Car Hop is because they claim to be cheaper (not overall) and they allow you to get liability insurance instead of full coverage. Definitely not worth the price. I do like the look and feel of the car, and everything in terms of air, radio and controls work fine, but the internal problems are far too severe. I would not recommend this car to new buyers or lookers.

I loved this car....
By maitresse2109

2002 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This was my 2nd car ever, from April of 2006 to this past Monday (7/2/12) when a monster storm hit and did too much damage to be repaired (total loss). I went from 63,000 to 187,000 between 06/2009-06/2012, if that tells you how good this car is. I about cried when they told me I couldn't have it back. Only things I've ever had to replace (besides tires/brakes) was the water pump and snake belt, which together was only 250, and the alternator went out this year and was 300. That's less than 600 for all the wear and tear I figured I have put on it. If it hadn't been for the storm I could've most likely driven this car another 3-5 years. Gonna miss, that is for sure.

Amazing gas mileage for an older model car (we did 1400 mi. on 3 tanks just 2 months ago); easy upkeep; turns really smooth; liked just about everything on this car.

Really not suited for car seats, and the back seat goes a bit too low for anyone 5'8" and taller. The doors are quite heavy for a coupe, about knocked myself out a few times.