2001 Pontiac Sunfire Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sunfire model:
I love my black 2001 Sunfire
By Zeak Harbors on 03/26/10 16:30 PM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Sunfire Coupe SE 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I got my car new with 5 miles and have had it up to this point. I drove the hell out of that car. It's fast with good acceleration has a sporty look that is totally unique and I enjoyed the interior design. Comfortable ride. It handles well as i drive like a maniac and it has had minor problems (oil leak, fuel pump) but is a solid car. It's a tank in the winter. The FWD got me through many awful WV winters. I would run this car until it explodes if the value wasn't so low. I know some have problems but mine was built well enough to last my teenage rambunctiousness and get me though college as well as take me on many vacations. For the price it is the best there is and I would buy it again...

186k and still strong
By Sid on 02/01/10 12:56 PM (PST)

2001 Pontiac Sunfire Coupe GT 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car at 186k miles and the car still runs perfect, so far. Seems very reliable, pretty good on gas and fast. Overall not bad at all.

Commuter car only!
By Andddy P on 07/14/08 07:27 AM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Sunfire Coupe SE 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I am very unpleased with my purchase of this car it does not get the gas mileage it is supposed to i will be lucky to get 20 miles to the gallon. The interior looks like something you would see at a dentists office, and the exterior design makes it seem as if it would have a nice amount of hp but instead this sunflower is equipped with 115 hp. I bought this car 08/07 and it had 9,000 miles on it but i should have looked at more reviews before making my purchase

GREAT Car!
By Miranda on 03/22/08 22:38 PM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Sunfire Coupe SE 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Great car. Never ever had a problem with it. Could leave it outside unplugged at -40 and it would still start in the morning. Only replaced wear and tear parts. INCREDIBLY safe car. Was T-Boned by a semi truck and lived let alone walked out of the hospital with nothing but bruises. Great crumple zones. SAFE and RELIABLE car. Worth every penny I ever spent on it!

Great car!
By cpet on 01/03/06 15:16 PM (PST)

2001 Pontiac Sunfire Coupe SE 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought mine new and have owned it for about 5 years - great, great car. I would definitely buy this again. Very reliable - never any major problems, fun to drive, large trunk, very roomy and comfortable even on long trips. Sporty look and quick pick-up. Great car to buy!

Happily Sunfired
By Tommy on 10/24/05 12:59 PM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Sunfire Coupe SE 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I was looking for a car to replace my tired '95 Baretta. A no-frills '01 Sunfire, with 66,400 miles, caught my eye. I was very impressed with the power from the 2.2L engine. The 5 speed manual trans shifted smooth... even reverse was noiseless. The body design is subtly sporty. Seating could be more comfortable, but that is a minor concern. After 3 months its the gas mileage that impresses me most. Driving a mix of highway & city, it consistantly gets from 31 to 33 mpg! Overall, this Sunfire is the best used vehicle I've ever owned.

80,000 miles and still going strong
By rdm on 08/01/05 18:41 PM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Sunfire Coupe SE 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My car has been great so far. No major problems and the regular maintenance has been inexpensive.

Decent overall, but has some problems
By Ken Y. on 02/21/05 13:25 PM (PST)

2001 Pontiac Sunfire Coupe SE 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My girlfriend purchased her 2001 sunfire in July of 01. This has been a very reliable car, but it has had some recurring problems. Brakes - The front rotors have been replaced 3 times and I have having them replaced again this weekend. Every 15k miles, the brakes begin to pulsate and need service. The rotors can only be turned once, after that they have to be replaced. This is a horrible problem that is present on many GM vehicles, including the sister car the Cavalier. Build Quality - The fit/finish leaves a lot to be desired. Parts look very cheap and after 25 - 30k there are a lot of rattles etc. Overall the car has been very reliable and has never broken down in 95k miles

Good Little Car
By GirlieTegRacer on 01/25/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Pontiac Sunfire Coupe SE 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

So far I am pretty happy with this car. The fuel economy seems to be pretty good since it has a large 4 cylinder engine. It is comfortable and easy to drive and it is a little fun too.

Not bad
By Used Sunfire Owner on 12/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Pontiac Sunfire Coupe SE 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought it as a used car. So far, so good. Cons: a slight clunking sound in steering column when making a sharp turn. Blind spot on driver's side. Pros: sporty looking, peppy performance and very good road handling, especially during inclement weather. Adequate fuel efficiency. Fun to drive. Good car for a single or couple.