2001 Pontiac Sunfire - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sunfire model:
Excellent Car!
By john_y on 04/10/12 09:39 AM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Sunfire SE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Got this car at 120,000 and now is at 150,000 and running stronger than ever! Beastly in all weather, I can get through a foot of snow without a problem and with good handling too. Decent gas mileage (24-27 mpg). Only ever need to perform minor repairs (exhaust, shocks, oil changes, spark plugs). Ice cold A/C, and engine warms up quickly on those cold days. When I got it the two lowest fan blower settings didn't work, but easily fixed by replacing blower motor resistor. Roomy trunk, I can fit a Tuba in it with a bit of room to spare. Not the fastest car in the world (could only get it up to 105) but it gets you where you need to go. Comfortable seats for road trips.

I love my black 2001 Sunfire
By Zeak Harbors on 03/26/10 16:30 PM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I got my car new with 5 miles and have had it up to this point. I drove the hell out of that car. It's fast with good acceleration has a sporty look that is totally unique and I enjoyed the interior design. Comfortable ride. It handles well as i drive like a maniac and it has had minor problems (oil leak, fuel pump) but is a solid car. It's a tank in the winter. The FWD got me through many awful WV winters. I would run this car until it explodes if the value wasn't so low. I know some have problems but mine was built well enough to last my teenage rambunctiousness and get me though college as well as take me on many vacations. For the price it is the best there is and I would buy it again...

186k and still strong
By Sid on 02/01/10 12:56 PM (PST)

2001 Pontiac Sunfire GT 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car at 186k miles and the car still runs perfect, so far. Seems very reliable, pretty good on gas and fast. Overall not bad at all.

Commuter car only!
By Andddy P on 07/14/08 07:27 AM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I am very unpleased with my purchase of this car it does not get the gas mileage it is supposed to i will be lucky to get 20 miles to the gallon. The interior looks like something you would see at a dentists office, and the exterior design makes it seem as if it would have a nice amount of hp but instead this sunflower is equipped with 115 hp. I bought this car 08/07 and it had 9,000 miles on it but i should have looked at more reviews before making my purchase

great car
By Tom on 03/30/08 14:59 PM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Sunfire SE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car for 5 years. I bought it used with 35,000 miles and now has 225,000 on it. Only problem was the fuel pump went out at 150,000. If all cars were this reliable then auto makers would go out of business. Awesome car. The 2.4 L is very peppy and 32 mpg. What more could I ask for? Did I mention this car is an automatic?

GREAT Car!
By Miranda on 03/22/08 22:38 PM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Great car. Never ever had a problem with it. Could leave it outside unplugged at -40 and it would still start in the morning. Only replaced wear and tear parts. INCREDIBLY safe car. Was T-Boned by a semi truck and lived let alone walked out of the hospital with nothing but bruises. Great crumple zones. SAFE and RELIABLE car. Worth every penny I ever spent on it!

Satisfied with Sunfire
By satisfiedwithsunfire on 12/17/07 13:33 PM (PST)

2001 Pontiac Sunfire SE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my Sunfire 09/2000 and it has been a very dependable car. I'm extremely pleased with it. I took it on a long trip and couldn't have been happier. The gas mileage is great, the ride is good for that price range. The interior could use a little more quality, but the outside is attractive. I would recommend this car to anyone looking for dependability with a little sporty look. My car is paid for and I have no intentions of getting rid of it. I'll probably keep it till it dies. It's my baby.

Sunfire Rocks!
By marley on 04/07/07 00:38 AM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Sunfire SE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Amazing how this car has been running solid. No major repairs, no minor repairs, and good gas mileage. It costs half as much as a Honda and the stereo sounds better than my wife's 2005 Lexus!

Great car!
By cpet on 01/03/06 15:16 PM (PST)

2001 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought mine new and have owned it for about 5 years - great, great car. I would definitely buy this again. Very reliable - never any major problems, fun to drive, large trunk, very roomy and comfortable even on long trips. Sporty look and quick pick-up. Great car to buy!

Happily Sunfired
By Tommy on 10/24/05 12:59 PM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I was looking for a car to replace my tired '95 Baretta. A no-frills '01 Sunfire, with 66,400 miles, caught my eye. I was very impressed with the power from the 2.2L engine. The 5 speed manual trans shifted smooth... even reverse was noiseless. The body design is subtly sporty. Seating could be more comfortable, but that is a minor concern. After 3 months its the gas mileage that impresses me most. Driving a mix of highway & city, it consistantly gets from 31 to 33 mpg! Overall, this Sunfire is the best used vehicle I've ever owned.