2000 Pontiac Sunfire - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sunfire model:
Fullfilled My Expectations
By Leanne on 09/13/08 13:01 PM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Sunfire GT 2dr Coupe

Bought almost new, In total, i have put 110K on it. I have had almost no issues at all in the 6 years I've had it. I still get 28 mpg avg. It has been a good investment; paid off 2 years ago and kept on going. For a 4 cyl. it goes pretty well, no trouble passing, and travels well at 60+. Had recent starter trouble, replaced it, no problem since. Also gas gauge seems to be off sometimes, but i've never had it looked at. I live in upstate NY, not great in snow, but not horrible, however RUSTED a LOT! I'm not in love with this car, but I wasn't when I bought it. I wanted a little cheap car for lots of driving, got good mileage etc, and it filled my needs and was very reliable and fun.

Much better than expected!
By benswing on 05/14/08 15:40 PM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe

After 110,000 miles, 2 minor fender benders and loads of road trips I still love my first car. Even the SE engine has some pep with an upper engine mount and a K&N air filter. She is relatively quick off the line and gets me where I'm going with a touch of style. Not the cleanest lines in a car, but not a boring Civic/Camry/Escort/etc. Only issues in 8+ years has been a hose replacement, and the vibrations are more noticeable than I'd like, but not bad overall. I've been very pleased with the reliability, fun and comfort for the price.

mine
By green machine on 04/18/08 12:03 PM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Sunfire GT 2dr Coupe

Lots of small repairs but worth it. Steering is awesome but braking is ok.

Best Car
By kthiesen on 03/12/08 18:53 PM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe

I purchased this car brand new, it currently has 175,000 miles. I have had one minor problem that cost 200 to fix. My car runs better than when I purchased it and it is capable of getting 35 miles/gallon on the interstate. This has been an excellent car for me, if I didn't need more room I would buy another one in an instant. The LCD display on my monsoon radio also went out on one side but that wasn't that big of a deal considering how many miles it has and how great it's been to have and drive!

buyers beware
By konadh34 on 02/22/08 17:28 PM (PST)

2000 Pontiac Sunfire SE 4dr Sedan

At first the sunfire was a great little car. Then it all came crashing down. Within 2 yrs. I had to replace the transmission and ignition switch (3 times I had to fix the switch, each time I was left in the middle of nowhere with an absolutely non functioning car). The ignition switch was a warranty recall yet every time it was "fixed" it broke down again! I've spent as much as I paid for this car on repairs, it is ridiculous. I was lucky enough to get rid of it for a trade in on a cherokee. For a commuter, it got decent gas mileage but when you're constantly worried about being left stranded god knows where, 100mpg couldn't make up for it. Do not buy this car!

Bad and expensive
By pontiacsucks on 02/22/08 00:34 AM (PST)

2000 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe

This car has left us stranded on the road twice (60,000 - 70,000). First, instrument cluster failure ($650 repair). Second, ignition switch failure ($216). In between the transmission wouldn't shift from 1st gear. Cost $2450 to fix! It is a POJ!

Good to go
By benswing on 10/21/06 17:39 PM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe

This car has been primarily used as a road tripper and has treated me very well. Reliability has been excellent, has spent next to no time in the shop. Just a hose had to be replaced, otherwise normal maintenance has kept her running great. Now that I'm commuting to work the fuel efficiency has been good to me.

The Little Engine That Could
By Scoop444 on 07/23/06 08:36 AM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Sunfire GT 2dr Coupe

Bought a red GT in 2004 with 60K Miles on it. Beautiful car, monsoon radio really pumped, I also added and amp with 3 10'' speakers. I am in the army and my hometown is about 320 miles away, so I went home a lot. I used to fly up and down i-95. This car accelerates fast and handles exceptionally well. But after 4 months of use, the engine gave out on me. I replaced the engine and she never drove quite the same. The CD player stopped working after 7 months as well as the LCD display for the Monsoon audio system. You cannot replace the radio head unit because Monsoon wiring techniques. Door handle fell off and I had too super glue it back on. Its a tank tho.

one tough car
By denice on 09/15/05 22:50 PM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Sunfire SE 4dr Sedan

in this sunfire we hit a deer and no damage was done. After owning the car for four years i hit a three quarter ton chevy and no damage was done (but caved in the door of the chevy. backed into a half ton chevy and no damage. and the last thing is i jumped out of the car and forgot to put it in park and the car ran into the house and it did not receive any damage. we have 112,000 mile and still get 27 miles per gallon. no major problems and scheduled maintance is the only thing we have had to do to it.

Not too bad
By MISTIE on 02/21/05 20:25 PM (PST)

2000 Pontiac Sunfire SE 4dr Sedan

Got it with a two year warranty. It is noisy. The gas mileage is great!! I would tell anyone to try one.