2000 Pontiac Sunfire SE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Pontiac Sunfire - Consumer Reviews

2000 Sunfire Consumer Reviews

SE 2.2L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (10 reviews )

Sort Reviews by

Good car
By banbam

2000 Pontiac Sunfire Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

My dad bought this car for my sister. She was rear ended and then decided she didn't want the car so I took it. I'm not a fan of the styling at all. The engine is really underpowered for my liking, and I have the 4 speed auto. It's a good car though. I've had it for over a year now and all I've done was replace the tires, when we bought the car, replace the brake pads, replace the starter, replace the battery, and an oil change. Maintenance really. I've added a sound system and tinted windows and its a pretty enjoyable ride now. And being 6'2" I can say that I can fit somewhat comfortably, no longer than 2-3 hours though. I'd say as a girls first car this would be great.

Fun and Reliable
By justin_c_wood

2000 Pontiac Sunfire Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 198 000km on it and it now has 218 000km. This is my first car and I'm very happy with it. All I've done besides regular maintenance ( tires, brakes, spark plugs, oil and e.t.c) is replace a heater fan van vent motor and an idler pulley. Both were cheap to replace. I also find it accelerates decently for a pushrod 4 cylinder motor with the manual 5spd. When driven easy, it's not too hard to attain around 32mpg highway.

Favorite Features

It has a great quality stock sound system for it's class. I love the sporty styling, and the interior. The seats are very comfortable for long trips as well.

Suggested Improvements

The build quality could be a bit better. The safety ratings for this car were very low. The body feels a bit flimsy and compared to first gen ford focuses I've driven, this car feels a bit clumsy around corners.

Great when it wants to work
By keet

2000 Pontiac Sunfire Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

The pontiac sunfire feels like a sporty little car for a four cylinder economy class vehicle. The acceleration is so-so and the car shakes at high speeds, but this is to be expected. What is completely inexcusable is how frequently everything breaks down and how unreliable the whole thing is. This car was used as a daily driver when it was only a few years old, yet within the first year the AC compressor blew out - twice. I paid for the full repairs. It blew out again within a year's time. The shop told me that the compressors were garbage out the factory. The water pump broke twice in 4 years of light driver. I went through 3 batteries. This is all from light commuting! Garbage!

Favorite Features

Steering column is right where it needs to be. The whole seating feels natural and just, right, albeit a little low. The air, when it works, hits every corner of the interior. The car has moderately good turning and power, but the standard brakes leave alot to be desired. The car is very responsive for an economy class vehicle, but the lack of a good body prevents it from really feeling solid. On especially windy days on the bridge into the city, there were times when I felt like it was about to roll off and plop into the ocean from being so lightweight. A good size breeze will cause the car to shudder and it easily hydroplanes with any consumer grade tire in moderate rainfall.

Suggested Improvements

The electrical problems with the sunfire needed to be ironed out. There were a few recalls where the steering column would cause the car to not start or even kill the electrics altogether (no headlight, horn, etc.) The A/C remained nonfunctional through much of the car's lifespan, in spite of multiple repairs. I think I spent almost the cost of the car on repairs to it within a few years. The grand am doesn't suffer from such unreliability issues thankfully.

Great Car!
By smartalex61

2000 Pontiac Sunfire Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

My grandmother gave me this car back in 2007 with only 47,000 miles on it, and with this being my first car I really didn't know what to think of it. After having it for 3 years it really grew on me, and it was fun to drive every day. I think the interior is a bit cheap feeling and the seats aren't that comfortable, but it looks great. Not to mention that the exterior styling is BEAUTIFUL. Also I've never had any problems with this car besides the normal maintenance (breaks, oil changes, etc.). Unfortunately it was recently totaled in an accident, however if they still made them I would buy another in a heartbeat!

Favorite Features

For such a low end car I love that it had keyless entry, air conditioning, power windows/locks/mirrors, and a great stereo (that displayed the song being played). I also love the interior and exterior styling, plus it's been very low maintenance for me.

Suggested Improvements

No much! Only that the left side of the stereo's screen burnt out so you can't read it well while it's sunny out. Plus for some reason the first 2 fan speeds don't work.

Love It
By Giggles

2000 Pontiac Sunfire Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I love my car and I love everything about it. I have had it for over 8 years and have never had any mechanical problems at all. It is one of the most reliable vehicles I've ever had. Even though it is a small car it handles better than a lot of 4 wheel drive trucks. I don't think I can say enough good things about it. I love the look of it and the interior. I would recommend this car to everyone.

buyers beware
By konadh34

2000 Pontiac Sunfire Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

At first the sunfire was a great little car. Then it all came crashing down. Within 2 yrs. I had to replace the transmission and ignition switch (3 times I had to fix the switch, each time I was left in the middle of nowhere with an absolutely non functioning car). The ignition switch was a warranty recall yet every time it was "fixed" it broke down again! I've spent as much as I paid for this car on repairs, it is ridiculous. I was lucky enough to get rid of it for a trade in on a cherokee. For a commuter, it got decent gas mileage but when you're constantly worried about being left stranded god knows where, 100mpg couldn't make up for it. Do not buy this car!

Favorite Features

Gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

fix the body style, it looks god awful. The overall quality of this car is terrible, the only way to fix that is to quit making them.

one tough car
By denice

2000 Pontiac Sunfire Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

in this sunfire we hit a deer and no damage was done. After owning the car for four years i hit a three quarter ton chevy and no damage was done (but caved in the door of the chevy. backed into a half ton chevy and no damage. and the last thing is i jumped out of the car and forgot to put it in park and the car ran into the house and it did not receive any damage. we have 112,000 mile and still get 27 miles per gallon. no major problems and scheduled maintance is the only thing we have had to do to it.

Favorite Features

the spoiler on the back

Not too bad
By MISTIE

2000 Pontiac Sunfire Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Got it with a two year warranty. It is noisy. The gas mileage is great!! I would tell anyone to try one.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Plan for taller people the next year you come out with one. I am cramped in this thing and I am only 5'9".

4 DR SUNFIRE
By carpey

2000 Pontiac Sunfire Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

When I bought this car from the dealer I had to bring it back 3 times within the first two weeks. The engine light came on twice and the wheel bearings went. Also when I turn the steering wheel there is a loud knocking in the suspension. I'm not sure if I bought a lemon or these cars are just garbage.

Favorite Features

gas mileage

Great Reliable little car
By Lesley Draper

2000 Pontiac Sunfire Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Bought the car in 1999, and during the almost four years I have had it, it has cost me, one battery f & R Brake jobs, 2 sets of tires, new T-stats. This car is prone to heat up when on hard pulls in hot weather. Even rund over half hot in cold weather. Have had no major problems, still gets good gas mileage, and handles great. Good in snow too. It could be a litle more comfotrable, but seems equal to many cars in it's catagorie. Keep tranny fluid up, and change the oil every 2k. I use synthetic oil and it gets better performance. I would buy another...For the price it's a winner!

Favorite Features

Good cornering and manueverability.

Suggested Improvements

Raise drivers seat an inch. Pad the glove box. A little larger rad.