2000 Pontiac Sunfire Sedan - Consumer Reviews

SE 2.2L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (9 reviews )
Fun and Reliable
By justin_c_wood on 08/02/13 16:39 PM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Sunfire Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 198 000km on it and it now has 218 000km. This is my first car and I'm very happy with it. All I've done besides regular maintenance ( tires, brakes, spark plugs, oil and e.t.c) is replace a heater fan van vent motor and an idler pulley. Both were cheap to replace. I also find it accelerates decently for a pushrod 4 cylinder motor with the manual 5spd. When driven easy, it's not too hard to attain around 32mpg highway.

Great when it wants to work
By keet on 03/01/11 22:52 PM (PST)

2000 Pontiac Sunfire Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

The pontiac sunfire feels like a sporty little car for a four cylinder economy class vehicle. The acceleration is so-so and the car shakes at high speeds, but this is to be expected. What is completely inexcusable is how frequently everything breaks down and how unreliable the whole thing is. This car was used as a daily driver when it was only a few years old, yet within the first year the AC compressor blew out - twice. I paid for the full repairs. It blew out again within a year's time. The shop told me that the compressors were garbage out the factory. The water pump broke twice in 4 years of light driver. I went through 3 batteries. This is all from light commuting! Garbage!

Great Car!
By smartalex61 on 04/20/10 11:48 AM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Sunfire Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

My grandmother gave me this car back in 2007 with only 47,000 miles on it, and with this being my first car I really didn't know what to think of it. After having it for 3 years it really grew on me, and it was fun to drive every day. I think the interior is a bit cheap feeling and the seats aren't that comfortable, but it looks great. Not to mention that the exterior styling is BEAUTIFUL. Also I've never had any problems with this car besides the normal maintenance (breaks, oil changes, etc.). Unfortunately it was recently totaled in an accident, however if they still made them I would buy another in a heartbeat!

Love It
By Giggles on 10/04/08 19:45 PM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Sunfire Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I love my car and I love everything about it. I have had it for over 8 years and have never had any mechanical problems at all. It is one of the most reliable vehicles I've ever had. Even though it is a small car it handles better than a lot of 4 wheel drive trucks. I don't think I can say enough good things about it. I love the look of it and the interior. I would recommend this car to everyone.

buyers beware
By konadh34 on 02/22/08 17:28 PM (PST)

2000 Pontiac Sunfire Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

At first the sunfire was a great little car. Then it all came crashing down. Within 2 yrs. I had to replace the transmission and ignition switch (3 times I had to fix the switch, each time I was left in the middle of nowhere with an absolutely non functioning car). The ignition switch was a warranty recall yet every time it was "fixed" it broke down again! I've spent as much as I paid for this car on repairs, it is ridiculous. I was lucky enough to get rid of it for a trade in on a cherokee. For a commuter, it got decent gas mileage but when you're constantly worried about being left stranded god knows where, 100mpg couldn't make up for it. Do not buy this car!

one tough car
By denice on 09/15/05 22:50 PM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Sunfire Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

in this sunfire we hit a deer and no damage was done. After owning the car for four years i hit a three quarter ton chevy and no damage was done (but caved in the door of the chevy. backed into a half ton chevy and no damage. and the last thing is i jumped out of the car and forgot to put it in park and the car ran into the house and it did not receive any damage. we have 112,000 mile and still get 27 miles per gallon. no major problems and scheduled maintance is the only thing we have had to do to it.

Not too bad
By MISTIE on 02/21/05 20:25 PM (PST)

2000 Pontiac Sunfire Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Got it with a two year warranty. It is noisy. The gas mileage is great!! I would tell anyone to try one.

4 DR SUNFIRE
By carpey on 11/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Pontiac Sunfire Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

When I bought this car from the dealer I had to bring it back 3 times within the first two weeks. The engine light came on twice and the wheel bearings went. Also when I turn the steering wheel there is a loud knocking in the suspension. I'm not sure if I bought a lemon or these cars are just garbage.

Great Reliable little car
By Lesley Draper on 08/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Sunfire Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Bought the car in 1999, and during the almost four years I have had it, it has cost me, one battery f & R Brake jobs, 2 sets of tires, new T-stats. This car is prone to heat up when on hard pulls in hot weather. Even rund over half hot in cold weather. Have had no major problems, still gets good gas mileage, and handles great. Good in snow too. It could be a litle more comfotrable, but seems equal to many cars in it's catagorie. Keep tranny fluid up, and change the oil every 2k. I use synthetic oil and it gets better performance. I would buy another...For the price it's a winner!