2000 Pontiac Sunfire - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sunfire model:
Good car
By banbam on 10/06/14 10:26 AM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Sunfire SE 4dr Sedan

My dad bought this car for my sister. She was rear ended and then decided she didn't want the car so I took it. I'm not a fan of the styling at all. The engine is really underpowered for my liking, and I have the 4 speed auto. It's a good car though. I've had it for over a year now and all I've done was replace the tires, when we bought the car, replace the brake pads, replace the starter, replace the battery, and an oil change. Maintenance really. I've added a sound system and tinted windows and its a pretty enjoyable ride now. And being 6'2" I can say that I can fit somewhat comfortably, no longer than 2-3 hours though. I'd say as a girls first car this would be great.

Super Fun Reliable car
By nairb848 on 04/02/14 17:33 PM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Sunfire GT 2dr Convertible

I bought my 2000 pontiac sunfire gt convertible about a month ago and i love it. I am 6"2 and i fit in is no problem. It is far more comfortible than I would have thought. No mechanical problems and the convertible top works perfectly. When the top is up there is no noise and man is it fast! With a little 2.4 liter powering this thing I would have never guessed it but this thing can move. This is the kind of car I can see having for years and giving it to my kids.

Fun and Reliable
By justin_c_wood on 08/02/13 16:39 PM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Sunfire SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 198 000km on it and it now has 218 000km. This is my first car and I'm very happy with it. All I've done besides regular maintenance ( tires, brakes, spark plugs, oil and e.t.c) is replace a heater fan van vent motor and an idler pulley. Both were cheap to replace. I also find it accelerates decently for a pushrod 4 cylinder motor with the manual 5spd. When driven easy, it's not too hard to attain around 32mpg highway.

MADE IT TO 285,000 MILES!
By gabrielgata on 01/27/13 20:50 PM (PST)

2000 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe

I purchased my 2000 Sunfire about 10 years ago. When I bought it it had 65,000 on it, it now has 285,000! For the most part it has been a great car, however I have replaced.....fuel pump, clutch, wheel barrings twice, electrical problems, radiator twice, many break jobs, gasket cap, batteries, etc....but that is to be expected considering how many miles it has. Over all a good car. It currently needs $600 worth of work done on it so I am now looking for a newer car. This time around looking to purchase a Mazda or a Honda.

Great when it wants to work
By keet on 03/01/11 22:52 PM (PST)

2000 Pontiac Sunfire SE 4dr Sedan

The pontiac sunfire feels like a sporty little car for a four cylinder economy class vehicle. The acceleration is so-so and the car shakes at high speeds, but this is to be expected. What is completely inexcusable is how frequently everything breaks down and how unreliable the whole thing is. This car was used as a daily driver when it was only a few years old, yet within the first year the AC compressor blew out - twice. I paid for the full repairs. It blew out again within a year's time. The shop told me that the compressors were garbage out the factory. The water pump broke twice in 4 years of light driver. I went through 3 batteries. This is all from light commuting! Garbage!

Great Car!
By smartalex61 on 04/20/10 11:48 AM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Sunfire SE 4dr Sedan

My grandmother gave me this car back in 2007 with only 47,000 miles on it, and with this being my first car I really didn't know what to think of it. After having it for 3 years it really grew on me, and it was fun to drive every day. I think the interior is a bit cheap feeling and the seats aren't that comfortable, but it looks great. Not to mention that the exterior styling is BEAUTIFUL. Also I've never had any problems with this car besides the normal maintenance (breaks, oil changes, etc.). Unfortunately it was recently totaled in an accident, however if they still made them I would buy another in a heartbeat!

Convertible is great
By carlwag on 02/18/10 12:28 PM (PST)

2000 Pontiac Sunfire GT 2dr Convertible

This is my second Sunfire convertible. My first was a 1995, and I upgraded to a 2000 when I bought this used in 2005. The convertible top is the best ever put on a convertible. Real glass rear window and one handle operation make this a snap to put up and down. Also, this is the only convertible on the market in the last twenty years that can carry five people! There are three sets of belts in the back seat. I absolutely love my AM/FM radio, cassette, and CD player. It puts out good sound, and the AM is far superior to my wife's Acura. I plan to keep this car until someone else makes a convertible that I like - and I don't see that happening soon.

Great car and sad thats its gone
By Kenzie on 07/30/09 08:59 AM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe

My sunfire was the first car I ever got and I drove the crap out of it. It ran great and in the seven years I had it I replaced the fuel pump and breaks. The other day I got hit by a gravel truck and even with the low safety rating this car had me and my dog walked away from the accident fine. I'm sad to see my sunfire go and it will be missed

Pretty Nice
By bcr_88 on 02/26/09 18:07 PM (PST)

2000 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe

well i have this car for a few months now like half year and its been a pretty good car its very confortable and the interior i like it ...and has good fuel economy tooo

Love It
By Giggles on 10/04/08 19:45 PM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Sunfire SE 4dr Sedan

I love my car and I love everything about it. I have had it for over 8 years and have never had any mechanical problems at all. It is one of the most reliable vehicles I've ever had. Even though it is a small car it handles better than a lot of 4 wheel drive trucks. I don't think I can say enough good things about it. I love the look of it and the interior. I would recommend this car to everyone.