Used 2000 Pontiac Sunfire Consumer Reviews - 38 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Pontiac Sunfire - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sunfire model:

Good car
By banbam

2000 Pontiac Sunfire SE 4dr Sedan

My dad bought this car for my sister. She was rear ended and then decided she didn't want the car so I took it. I'm not a fan of the styling at all. The engine is really underpowered for my liking, and I have the 4 speed auto. It's a good car though. I've had it for over a year now and all I've done was replace the tires, when we bought the car, replace the brake pads, replace the starter, replace the battery, and an oil change. Maintenance really. I've added a sound system and tinted windows and its a pretty enjoyable ride now. And being 6'2" I can say that I can fit somewhat comfortably, no longer than 2-3 hours though. I'd say as a girls first car this would be great.

Super Fun Reliable car
By nairb848

2000 Pontiac Sunfire GT 2dr Convertible

I bought my 2000 pontiac sunfire gt convertible about a month ago and i love it.
I am 6"2 and i fit in is no problem.
It is far more comfortible than I would have thought.
No mechanical problems and the convertible top works perfectly.
When the top is up there is no noise and man is it fast!
With a little 2.4 liter powering this thing
I would have never guessed it but this thing can move.
This is the kind of car I can see having for years and giving it to my kids.

Fun and Reliable
By justin_c_wood

2000 Pontiac Sunfire SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 198 000km on it and it now has 218 000km. This is my first car and I'm very happy with it. All I've done besides regular maintenance ( tires, brakes, spark plugs, oil and e.t.c) is replace a heater fan van vent motor and an idler pulley. Both were cheap to replace. I also find it accelerates decently for a pushrod 4 cylinder motor with the manual 5spd.
When driven easy, it's not too hard to attain around 32mpg highway.

It has a great quality stock sound system for it's class. I love the sporty styling, and the interior. The seats are very comfortable for long trips as well.

The build quality could be a bit better. The safety ratings for this car were very low. The body feels a bit flimsy and compared to first gen ford focuses I've driven, this car feels a bit clumsy around corners.

MADE IT TO 285,000 MILES!
By gabrielgata

2000 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe

I purchased my 2000 Sunfire about 10 years ago. When I bought it it had 65,000 on it, it now has 285,000! For the most part it has been a great car, however I have replaced.....fuel pump, clutch, wheel barrings twice, electrical problems,
radiator twice, many break jobs, gasket cap, batteries, etc....but that is to be expected considering how many miles it has. Over all a good car. It currently needs $600 worth of work done on it so I am now looking for a newer car. This time around looking to purchase a Mazda or a Honda.

stylish look and fun to drive.

To me it feels like it wouldn't do well in a car accident.

Great when it wants to work
By keet

2000 Pontiac Sunfire SE 4dr Sedan

The pontiac sunfire feels like a sporty little car for a four cylinder economy class vehicle.
The acceleration is so-so and the car shakes at high speeds, but this is to be expected.
What is completely inexcusable is how frequently everything breaks down and how unreliable the whole thing is.

This car was used as a daily driver when it was only a few years old, yet within the first year the AC compressor blew out - twice.
I paid for the full repairs.
It blew out again within a year's time.
The shop told me that the compressors were garbage out the factory.
The water pump broke twice in 4 years of light driver.
I went through 3 batteries.
This is all from light commuting!
Garbage!

Steering column is right where it needs to be. The whole seating feels natural and just, right, albeit a little low. The air, when it works, hits every corner of the interior. The car has moderately good turning and power, but the standard brakes leave alot to be desired. The car is very responsive for an economy class vehicle, but the lack of a good body prevents it from really feeling solid. On especially windy days on the bridge into the city, there were times when I felt like it was about to roll off and plop into the ocean from being so lightweight. A good size breeze will cause the car to shudder and it easily hydroplanes with any consumer grade tire in moderate rainfall.

The electrical problems with the sunfire needed to be ironed out. There were a few recalls where the steering column would cause the car to not start or even kill the electrics altogether (no headlight, horn, etc.) The A/C remained nonfunctional through much of the car's lifespan, in spite of multiple repairs. I think I spent almost the cost of the car on repairs to it within a few years. The grand am doesn't suffer from such unreliability issues thankfully.