3 engines! 2.4 L
By terror 6 on
1999 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe
My sunfire, while fun to drive, has had nothing but problems. It had a wiring issue that 12 "technicians" at RON TONKIN LIARS AUTO sales could not find. Pontiac said there wasn't any known issues or recalls. I bought this car with 60,000 miles. It had already had a motor replaced with another used one that the LIARS at R.T.K. didn't tell me about. Since I bought it I have had to replace the 2.4 engine at 80,000 and now I have a rod knocking at 100,000. The vehicle gets routine oil changes, has never been over-revved and has never overheated. But yet I am looking at yet another engine swap. I baby this 4 cylinder and it still went pear shaped. Where is the Pontiac of old?
Favorite Features
Very good handling, decent sound system when the rear speakers work. Quick ratio steering and does well in the snow. Looks good from the sides and back.
Suggested Improvements
2.4 L engine reliability. Change the front end so it doesn't look like "mater" from cars. The onboard traction control system is dangerous to use for anything except starting on an icy road, do not use any other time.