Used 1999 Pontiac Sunfire SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Pontiac Sunfire - Consumer Reviews

1999 Pontiac Sunfire

View reviews for a specific Sunfire model:

3 engines! 2.4 L
By terror 6

1999 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe

My sunfire, while fun to drive, has had nothing but problems. It had a wiring issue that 12 "technicians" at RON TONKIN LIARS AUTO sales could not find. Pontiac said there wasn't any known issues or recalls. I bought this car with 60,000 miles. It had already had a motor replaced with another used one that the LIARS at R.T.K. didn't tell me about. Since I bought it I have had to replace the 2.4 engine at 80,000 and now I have a rod knocking at 100,000. The vehicle gets routine oil changes, has never been over-revved and has never overheated. But yet I am looking at yet another engine swap. I baby this 4 cylinder and it still went pear shaped. Where is the Pontiac of old?

Favorite Features

Very good handling, decent sound system when the rear speakers work. Quick ratio steering and does well in the snow. Looks good from the sides and back.

Suggested Improvements

2.4 L engine reliability. Change the front end so it doesn't look like "mater" from cars. The onboard traction control system is dangerous to use for anything except starting on an icy road, do not use any other time.

Homer Simpson comes to mind DOH!
By phat_white_boy

1999 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe

Overall not a bad vehicle, 99 with 2.4L twin cam. 138,000mi fun to drive on the highway with moonroof open - the ladies seem to like it to. however its currently being serviced for a new water pump in intake gasket

Favorite Features

moonroof, fold down back seat, good gas mileage when running right, overall fun to drive

Suggested Improvements

The location of the water pump! just now having to replace and its one of the most difficult ones i have ever relaced being that the pump is ran by the timing chain. a lot of fun to fix...lol

1999 Sunfire with 2.4L engine
By Nice

1999 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe

In the ten years I've had the car, I had not not have any major problems. It has 135kMi In fact, so far it has all been maintenance items (oil, brakes etc).Very impressed with the reliability of this car.

Favorite Features

The 2.4L engine

Suggested Improvements

None

Sunfire Lover
By Sunfire Lover

1999 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe

Love the car. The dealership was the worst part. Extremely RUDE People working there including the owner. I haven't have to replace anything other than the brakes the entire time that I have owned the car!

Favorite Features

Everything

Suggested Improvements

It would be nice to have AWD

love it!
By brookany

1999 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe

Overall a great car... loves the cold weather, fun to drive, handles great, looks great. Sometime starts funny in hot weather. The ABS kicks in at weird, inappropriate times.

Favorite Features

I love the sunroof. It handles really well, and I feel safe in it, unlike other small sporty cars. It's GREAT in the snow. It looks great!

Suggested Improvements

A little more interior room. I'm very petite, and I still feel cramped sometimes. The brakes wear out pretty fast; they go from super tight and new feeling to loose and worn out all of a sudden. The way it starts bugs me sometimes. Sometimes it starts right up, sometimes it struggles.