Used 1999 Pontiac Sunfire SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Pontiac Sunfire - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sunfire model:

Reliable for being an american Car
By Hydracid

1999 Pontiac Sunfire SE 4dr Sedan

Only trouble I had was the side view mirro connectors are cheaply made and the light went out in the stereo clock. I have only had to perform routine maintainence which is nice. This is a much better pontiac in comparison to previous brands from previous years.

Fan strenght for airconditioning is weak and the car is a heavy for it's size. if it was lighter the fuel economy kight be even better.

Very Reliable Car
By TO Torn

1999 Pontiac Sunfire SE 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Sunfire 3 years used, and have had no serious problems, even in our cold Canadian winters. I had the rotors turned because of a knob of rust that was making noise but not affecting performance. The interior is slightly under-par, but what can I expect for a cheap car. Also, I find that the ABS and the traction control really helps me keep a tight grip on our icy Canadian roads. If you can find it, I would suggest that you get the four gear, as opposed to the three gear - drives smoother at highway speeds. I would recommend this car for anyone looking for a good economical car.

Easy to handle (and park!), fun to drive, easy on gas, realiable.

Interior finishing quality, the black plastic parts on the exterior are losing their sheen.

Great Car for the Money
By rosey

1999 Pontiac Sunfire SE 4dr Sedan

I purchased my car after crashing my brand new truck. It has proven to be a very reliable car. Aside from the usual wear and tear, this car has not given me any major problems like my other cars. Its great. Its affordable and nice sporty/family look to it. Nice. I would recommend it for a small family.

I like the look of the front end. The sporty look.

I think the back end should match the front end. Sporty look all the way around. Nice family style on the inside, with the sporty look on the outside.

another pontiac failure
By phxSuns

1999 Pontiac Sunfire SE 4dr Sedan

I bought a used 99 sunfire pontiac, expecting to get a great american vehicle. I have had major problems with the accessories, whereas the machine and the transmission are great. Mostly I expected a better Fuel Economy, and a better heat endurance from the vehicle. This car made me think of an european vehicle for next purchase.

*red lighted gauges *tissue holder in the arm rest (very unusual) *comfortable seats

*upgrade the airconditioning system *protect the battery from possible leaks *improve the electric wiring to prevent cable malfunction *make the oil filter easy accessible for an oilchange

Love this car!
By transformedxian

1999 Pontiac Sunfire SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car when my other car of another brand started blowing smoke. This is the first Pontiac I've ever owned and have been very impressed with it. I have had problems with the instrument panel going on me, but the two times that has happened, I've been able to get it replaced under warranty. This car reminds me of my first car, which I loved, only the Sunfire handles so much tighter on curves. It has a fast, smooth acceleration; very impressive for a 4 cyl. automatic. At the same time, because it has a small engine, the gas mileage is great. My car looks flirty and fun, but the four doors are also practical for loading luggage and cats.

The roomy trunk, lumbar support in front seat backs, the red lights in the instrument panel, the variety of options for the temperature control.

A less temperamental volume control on the stereo. I have to turn it just so to not blast myself out, whether I'm turning it up or down.