1999 Pontiac Sunfire - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sunfire model:
3 engines! 2.4 L
By terror 6 on 04/09/10 13:34 PM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe

My sunfire, while fun to drive, has had nothing but problems. It had a wiring issue that 12 "technicians" at RON TONKIN LIARS AUTO sales could not find. Pontiac said there wasn't any known issues or recalls. I bought this car with 60,000 miles. It had already had a motor replaced with another used one that the LIARS at R.T.K. didn't tell me about. Since I bought it I have had to replace the 2.4 engine at 80,000 and now I have a rod knocking at 100,000. The vehicle gets routine oil changes, has never been over-revved and has never overheated. But yet I am looking at yet another engine swap. I baby this 4 cylinder and it still went pear shaped. Where is the Pontiac of old?

Homer Simpson comes to mind DOH!
By phat_white_boy on 11/22/09 00:33 AM (PST)

1999 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe

Overall not a bad vehicle, 99 with 2.4L twin cam. 138,000mi fun to drive on the highway with moonroof open - the ladies seem to like it to. however its currently being serviced for a new water pump in intake gasket

Awful mistake
By Collin Wilson on 08/16/09 23:03 PM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT 2dr Coupe

So I bought this car used. Had it 3 days the frame broke. After that its been all down hill. The frame then the alternator then the battery then the radio. 3 months and I have to get rid of it! It started out great ended awful!

1999 Sunfire with 2.4L engine
By Nice on 03/26/09 15:33 PM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe

In the ten years I've had the car, I had not not have any major problems. It has 135kMi In fact, so far it has all been maintenance items (oil, brakes etc).Very impressed with the reliability of this car.

Sunfire Lover
By Sunfire Lover on 10/05/08 12:56 PM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe

Love the car. The dealership was the worst part. Extremely RUDE People working there including the owner. I haven't have to replace anything other than the brakes the entire time that I have owned the car!

love it!
By brookany on 06/17/08 08:05 AM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe

Overall a great car... loves the cold weather, fun to drive, handles great, looks great. Sometime starts funny in hot weather. The ABS kicks in at weird, inappropriate times.

Sunfire SE 2dr 2.4L
By Rick B. on 05/04/08 08:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe

Car has served it's purpose in the almost 10 years of ownership. The car has a pretty strong rust problem I don't notice on other Sunfires. Our body ground from the battery cable rusted out and that caused some wacky problems with dashboard lights. That was the only time it left me stranded and wouldn't start. The back speakers are an issue on all 99 Sunfires. Apparently the wiring breaks and then the rear speakers work when they make contact. Instead of finding the break, I ran new wires. We also have an oil consumption issue nobody can figure out without taking the heads off. It's been burning oil for at least 50,000 miles, about 1 qt for every 2000 miles.

My little red convertible
By nmmrc1983 on 04/17/08 07:46 AM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT 2dr Convertible

I love my little red Pontiac.I get great gas mileage, and with gas prices on the rise, i am glad I've got her. Nothing beats putting my top down and going home after a hard day at work. I think this car is HOT.

I like my car!
By Melanie on 10/17/07 15:26 PM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe

I have to say that I have enjoyed this vehicle and was pleased with its reliability. Do buy the extended warranty, though, as things can go amiss. Muffler still new however I've had to replace the big muffler brackets a couple of times. Bit of a gas guzzler. This past year leaves me with a problem with the driver's side door lock - any cold or condensation makes it virtually impossible to unlock. Apparently this is an ongoing issue with the Sunfire. After replacing the tumbler, then the hinges and lubing the door clasp, I am hoping this winter will be better and I won't have to climb in over the stick shift through the passenger side. I trust my car and it's been very good to me.

Been nothing but a headache
By georgiamarie on 07/14/07 14:29 PM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe

I love the exterior design. I have had a lot of complements. What a cute car it is. Nice looking car. I agree. I am not happy at all with the problems I have had. It started 9 months after I bought the car. The sun roof leaked. It had to be completely replaced. The battery post broke. The radio system has been replaced twice because it kept shorting out. The brakes were worn out long before they should have. At the same time the front struts had to be replaced. All of this happened within the first three years. The problems have just kept coming. I expect these things to happen as the car gets older not when the car is brand new! I think this car was made on a Monday or Friday!