Used 1998 Pontiac Sunfire Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Pontiac Sunfire - Consumer Reviews

1998 Pontiac Sunfire

View reviews for a specific Sunfire model:

Most Helpful|
What will I drive next
By Tea

1998 Pontiac Sunfire SE 4dr Sedan

i like the car for its gas mileage, but when i go on trips that are 50 mi. or more, it's not fun to drive.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage & it has yet to let me down.

Suggested Improvements

give it more leg room & more horse power.

Best GM Car owned to date
By 'Happy'

1998 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe

Very impressed with reliability, gas mileage and exterior paint (red). Have only changed front brake pads, battery and tires after eight years. The car shines almost as good as new. My highway mileage at times exceeds 500 miles to a tank of gas(5 speed manual). What else can you ask for?

Favorite Features

Styling and economy

Suggested Improvements

Standard tilt steering wheel(I'm 6' 3")- otherwise the front seating is plenty roomy. 2 better placed cup holders instead of the existing one would be much better.

dint buy this car
By boo

1998 Pontiac Sunfire SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from a family friend who's mother never drove it, and had recently became too ill to use it. When I purchased it it had less than 70,000 miles. Since then I have had to replace the alternator, radiator, all four tires, the ac, the fuel injector, along with the usual upgrades. Not to mention the window cranks fell off along with the stereo knobs. This car is the worst investment and I wouldn't even want my worst enemy to drive it! I don't drive a lot and use public transportation for work and school yet somehow this car breaks down without fail once a month! Do not purchase!

Favorite Features

the tweed seats are old school and comfortable

Suggested Improvements

upgrade everything about this car and maybe then it would be a suitable buy

good but not outstanding
By angeltearsmc

1998 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe

This was my first "real" car and it has been pretty good to me. No major problems until last year (A/C compressor failed at 105k) and then replaced the clutch and the water pump both just recently at 120k. Have not received good service from Pontiac dealer though. Only complaint with styling is the cupholders; the ONE in front sits too close to the gearshift and when shifting into 5th gear, I always hit whatever cup is sitting there - gets pretty annoying. Does not handle well in heavy rain or wind, let alone icy conditions. But overall I've been pretty happy with it for the price.

Favorite Features

Exterior styling; comfort; trunk space.

Suggested Improvements

Redesign cupholders

Don't Buy This
By megan

1998 Pontiac Sunfire SE 4dr Sedan

This was my first car purchase, I have had this car for 6 years now. It has worked alright. Shabby build I was going about 15mph and had a deer run into the side of the front fender crumpled it up completely and broke the drivers side a-arm and trashed the front clip. Master brake cylinder has severe issues replaced it 3 times and still shorts out. worst economy gas mileage a lifted pickup with a 350 gets better mileage. WASTE OF MONEY!

Suggested Improvements

Fix electrical, make body sturdier, make a smoother ride. make it easier to maintain (hard to reach oil filter). SEVERE overheating problems!