1998 Pontiac Sunfire - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sunfire model:
Sunfire is pontiac's worse car to date.
By dewy25 on 05/25/06 07:03 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe

i have had my '98 sunfire for just over 2 years now .. and its proved to be the worst car i have ever had. Within that time i have replaced the tranny, brakes, tires, starter, TPS... throttle position sensor,both upstream and downstream oxygen sensors, altenator,MAF... mass air flow sensor. Also a friend of mine has an 05 sunfire and she has had the same problems with all the sensors burning up. Anouther words... DONT BUY A SUNFIRE if you're looking for a car that is reliabe.

good but not outstanding
By angeltearsmc on 03/17/06 14:13 PM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe

This was my first "real" car and it has been pretty good to me. No major problems until last year (A/C compressor failed at 105k) and then replaced the clutch and the water pump both just recently at 120k. Have not received good service from Pontiac dealer though. Only complaint with styling is the cupholders; the ONE in front sits too close to the gearshift and when shifting into 5th gear, I always hit whatever cup is sitting there - gets pretty annoying. Does not handle well in heavy rain or wind, let alone icy conditions. But overall I've been pretty happy with it for the price.

Decent convertible
By BGor on 12/27/05 23:13 PM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Convertible

Fun car to drive - headroom an issue if you are 6' and taller. Over 80,000 miles with no major repairs. Good quality and value for the original price of $17,000.

A Good Purchase
By Paul on 07/25/05 00:30 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe

In 1997, my wife wanted this car, a small blue Sunfire. She fell in love with the car at first sight. Now in 2005 and the odometer at 387,000km and not a problem with anything yet, other than general maintenance.

By Bizkit on 11/07/04 18:59 PM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Sunfire GT 2dr Coupe

Cannot crack windows open in the rain or I get wet. Radio volume knob is a bit annoying. Other than those 2 things though it is a great car. Shifts smooth and handles the curves very well. Strong 4 cyl. engine with just enough HP for a small car.

1998 PONTIAC SUNFIRE
By RLYNN on 10/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Sunfire SE 4dr Sedan

THE MOST RELIABLE, DEPENDABLE VEHICLE I HAVE EVER OWNED. IT GETS GREAT GAS MILEAGE, IT IS VERY EASY TO KEEP MAINTAINED, MOST IMPORTANTLY IT HANDLES VERY WELL IN WET LYING AREAS. I HAVE OWNED MY SUNFIRE NOW FOR 6 YEARS.MY HUSBAND AND I PURCHASED A YUKON LAST 2 WEEKS AGO, HE MENTIONED SELLING THE SUNFIRE. NEEDLESS TO SAY I AM STILL DRIVING THE SUNFIRE TO WORK & THE YUKON ON THE WEEKENDS. NOT GIVIN' IT UP YET! THE SUNFIRE IS A REAL GOOD INVESTMENT FOR ANYONE WHO NEEDS SOMETHING DEPENDABLE, AND RELIABLE.

happy pontiac owner
By ChElSeA on 07/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Sunfire GT 2dr Coupe

i love this car! i have had mine for a couple years and i haven't had that many problems with it. I love the exterior design. It's such a sharp car and great for me to drive.

my sunfire was good to me
By mybaby on 04/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Sunfire SE 4dr Sedan

Let me say I no longer has this car. But i miss it everday. This was my first real car purchase. The only real problems I had was that the plug wires went bad around 45,000. I was upset. My partner hydroplanned it badly once. But that was due to cheap tires. Then when i wrecked it, i reared some at from a stop to a tap the gas. The whole front of the car buckled. that is only reason i got rid of it.

Little Blue Sunfire
By Kelly1985 on 01/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe

I bought my 1998 Sunfire about 2.5 years ago, and I have had only a few problems with it. My alternator and transmission went out, but were both replaced and under warranty. I've only received one recall notice. The only other problem I have had is the ABS brakes... but the dealership says they are functioning properly (we won't go there). Regardless, this is a great car! I am in my car for at least 2 hours everyday, so it's like a second home. I would recommend this car to anyone! Mine gets about 25 mpg or more, what more could you want?

Good Car...
By Vikesgal on 12/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe

Have had my car for four years and have had no problems what so ever. Key to any vehicle is routine maintenance. The vehicle is very small..no friends want to sit in my back seat, but I knew this before I bought it. I have over 115,000 miles on the car and it is still running smoothly.