Used 1998 Pontiac Sunfire Consumer Reviews - 48 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Pontiac Sunfire - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sunfire model:

dint buy this car
By boo

1998 Pontiac Sunfire SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from a family friend who's mother never drove it, and had recently became too ill to use it. When I purchased it it had less than 70,000 miles. Since then I have had to replace the alternator, radiator, all four tires, the ac, the fuel injector, along with the usual upgrades. Not to mention the window cranks fell off along with the stereo knobs. This car is the worst investment and I wouldn't even want my worst enemy to drive it! I don't drive a lot and use public transportation for work and school yet somehow this car breaks down without fail once a month! Do not purchase!

the tweed seats are old school and comfortable

upgrade everything about this car and maybe then it would be a suitable buy

A great coupe car
By Marvin

1998 Pontiac Sunfire GT 2dr Coupe

This car is excellent, I only have a year with is and it's very good I am from Panama and over here theres lots of them and I am another happy owner thanks. Pontiac!!!!!

I love the exterior

good car
By hppgrl2

1998 Pontiac Sunfire GT 2dr Coupe

if anyone would ask, I would recommend this car. it was my first 'adult' car out of college & I've had it ever since. some usual repairs/$ has been put into it but over all minimal for the 10 years I've had it and the 4-5 that it's been paid off for. Great for 1 person, college student etc. Small for grown man or more than 3 ppl. Love the trunk space, radio buttons on the steering wheel, could use better cup holder as most have mentioned. Stereo has good sound... I have ~147k miles on it

Hands free, radio controls on the steering wheel- i have to have this feature in my next car.

Cup holder location & deepness, motor w/ power window- hit or miss when it works, after 8 years

Favorite car
By Julie

1998 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe

I have had my Sunfire for almost 10 years now, always performed routine maintenance and have never had any major problems or repairs. Its great on gas and handles great. The only thing that has ever really bothered me about the interior design, is the cup holder. There is only one in front and located in an inconvenient place and is not deep enough to keep your drink to stay in place when making turns. I have really enjoyed this little car and will be sad when I finally have to part with it.

Excellent car for the money
By Todd

1998 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe

I purchased this car in 2002, and I am ready for a new car again. This car has been so reliable I am definitely thinking about buying a Pontiac again. Gas mileage has been around 25 mpg and for a small car it has a good zip to it. Handling is fine if your not pushing it in the snow, and I find the bucket seats comfortable for long distances. Although it could use lumbar supports. Trunk space is fantastic and the only mechanical problems I've had is a bad catalitic converter at about 85k miles. I just cracked 100k and no problems yet.

Favorite features have been trunk space (considering it is a small car) and exterior styling.

The single cup holder is in the way of the shifter and isn't deep enough for most drinks. Also road noise can be annoying at speeds over 65mph but for the price I'm not complaining.