1998 Pontiac Sunfire - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sunfire model:
dint buy this car
By boo on 06/28/08 13:37 PM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Sunfire SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from a family friend who's mother never drove it, and had recently became too ill to use it. When I purchased it it had less than 70,000 miles. Since then I have had to replace the alternator, radiator, all four tires, the ac, the fuel injector, along with the usual upgrades. Not to mention the window cranks fell off along with the stereo knobs. This car is the worst investment and I wouldn't even want my worst enemy to drive it! I don't drive a lot and use public transportation for work and school yet somehow this car breaks down without fail once a month! Do not purchase!

A great coupe car
By Marvin on 05/29/08 19:47 PM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Sunfire GT 2dr Coupe

This car is excellent, I only have a year with is and it's very good I am from Panama and over here theres lots of them and I am another happy owner thanks. Pontiac!!!!!

good car
By hppgrl2 on 04/14/08 17:16 PM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Sunfire GT 2dr Coupe

if anyone would ask, I would recommend this car. it was my first 'adult' car out of college & I've had it ever since. some usual repairs/$ has been put into it but over all minimal for the 10 years I've had it and the 4-5 that it's been paid off for. Great for 1 person, college student etc. Small for grown man or more than 3 ppl. Love the trunk space, radio buttons on the steering wheel, could use better cup holder as most have mentioned. Stereo has good sound... I have ~147k miles on it

Favorite car
By Julie on 03/27/08 09:18 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe

I have had my Sunfire for almost 10 years now, always performed routine maintenance and have never had any major problems or repairs. Its great on gas and handles great. The only thing that has ever really bothered me about the interior design, is the cup holder. There is only one in front and located in an inconvenient place and is not deep enough to keep your drink to stay in place when making turns. I have really enjoyed this little car and will be sad when I finally have to part with it.

Excellent car for the money
By Todd on 06/19/07 08:57 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe

I purchased this car in 2002, and I am ready for a new car again. This car has been so reliable I am definitely thinking about buying a Pontiac again. Gas mileage has been around 25 mpg and for a small car it has a good zip to it. Handling is fine if your not pushing it in the snow, and I find the bucket seats comfortable for long distances. Although it could use lumbar supports. Trunk space is fantastic and the only mechanical problems I've had is a bad catalitic converter at about 85k miles. I just cracked 100k and no problems yet.

'98 Sunfire coupe
By Kristy on 06/17/07 13:16 PM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe

I have only had my '98 Sunfire for a short while, but its handling in both heavy traffic and highways is excellent and is an affordable way to drive a very sporty car. Although the interior is a little sparse, its style is attractive. Wonderful car overall for the price range.

Sporty & economical
By Andrew on 03/23/07 15:54 PM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Sunfire GT 2dr Coupe

I honestly can say with 200,000K on the car now, I've had no noteworthy issues to report - I just go about the normal PM and drive it (literally). It's fuel efficient yet has got plenty of pep - no mistaking it for a V8 powered Firebird, but it still offers good passing power). Whats surprising is amount of room it offers, even for rear bound passengers. It also offers a decently large trunk.

Fun to drive and easy on gas
By Bobby Gorleski on 08/19/06 08:01 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Convertible

Great little car for the money. Pontiac really hit a winner with this peppy convertible. Car looks better with the top down, and for "tall" people- top down is the best! No major mechanical work in 90,000 miles.

Best GM Car owned to date
By 'Happy' on 08/10/06 12:45 PM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe

Very impressed with reliability, gas mileage and exterior paint (red). Have only changed front brake pads, battery and tires after eight years. The car shines almost as good as new. My highway mileage at times exceeds 500 miles to a tank of gas(5 speed manual). What else can you ask for?

beware
By Stephy on 07/12/06 21:19 PM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Sunfire SE 4dr Sedan

I love the stereo system, which sounds like something professional- althought it's not. I have also had very few mechanical problems yet with 104K miles. A few things I do not like is that the 98 model has some messed up cruise control. The chain sticks and it's one of the few recalls that they have not figured out. It gets stuck once you set it at a certain speed and then you cannot set it lower than that speed again.