Used 1998 Pontiac Sunfire Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Pontiac Sunfire - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sunfire model:

What will I drive next
By Tea

1998 Pontiac Sunfire SE 4dr Sedan

i like the car for its gas mileage, but when i go on trips that are 50 mi. or more, it's not fun to drive.

Gas mileage & it has yet to let me down.

give it more leg room & more horse power.

OK Car
By Jacobjq

1998 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe

I have had this car for about 4 or 5 years. Before that is was my sisters. She got it used right after she got out of high school when it was 2 or 3 years old. I have had it all through high school. For the way a 16 year old drives a car it has held up great. I have done oil changes every 3000 to 4000 miles and had the brakes totally redone. It has been crashed 2 times both in the back. but even after all that and 170000 miles it is still going strong. It dose stall time to time. But not very often. One censer did go bad on it. that is the only major thing that happened to this car. paint it coming of but it is from the crash were it was repainted.

Sunroof, Interior but need more cup holders, and how it has held up.

More Power but if you want more get the GT. cup holder

gotta be a GT
By AfraidOfSunlite

1998 Pontiac Sunfire GT 2dr Coupe

I have heard of many horror stories about the dime-a-dozen Sunfire with the eco-tech 2.2 litre. Having purchased the GT with the 2.4, I have had nothing but good things to say about the performance and reliability of the 4- banger. In fact, at 218,000 and counting, I have outgrown the horrible interior, and cannot wait until the darn thing just blows up... but I am starting to think the thing will run forever! It just won't die. There are many drawbacks to an interior with ZERO versatility, and driver user-friendly usability, but I have to remember it was paid in full by 2002, and I have been driving it virtually for free for 7 years and counting! All and all, worth every penny and more!

Excellently matched motor and transmission have been pulling long and strong for many miles now! Not bad at all for any four-banger! For the money: the stereo is awesome! And if there were not 10 zillion of them on the road, they'd actually be a pretty little car; instead of being commonplace.

Map pockets that you cannot get to unless you open the door?! Overhead console that throws everything into the back seat?! One cup holder OR ashtray in the front (not both) and two cup holders in the back?! Orange dash lights are difficult to read. Seats will fit someone 3'6", but not someone 6'3".

Very good car
By pontiac1234

1998 Pontiac Sunfire SE 4dr Sedan

I have had my 98 Pontiac Sunfire for about 5 years. It only had 48,000 miles when I got and i have had no mechanical problems what so ever and I'm hitting about 150,000 miles. If you are looking for a good reliable car pick a Pontiac Sunfire or any Pontiac

I would have to say it would be the factory speakers and the body shape of the car

Was a great car
By wasgood

1998 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe

I just sold my Sunfire in order to buy a Grand Cherokee. That little car was awesome. I had it for over 5 years and it took me all over. It always started first turn, had plenty of pep, ran on pennies, and all I ever had to do to it was change the front pads twice and the rotors once before I sold it. It had 260,000 k's on it and would of went for a lot more. The shocks needed replacing but that's a wearable part. I felt like I was selling my dog, when I sold it, only because of how reliable it was. Great cheap car.

Super reliable. Looked pretty good for a cheap car. Ran on little gas.

Take care of the noise in the back.