Used 1998 Pontiac Sunfire Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Pontiac Sunfire - Consumer Reviews

SE 2.2L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (11 reviews )

Don't Buy This
By megan

1998 Pontiac Sunfire Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

This was my first car purchase, I have had this car for 6 years now. It has worked alright. Shabby build I was going about 15mph and had a deer run into the side of the front fender crumpled it up completely and broke the drivers side a-arm and trashed the front clip. Master brake cylinder has severe issues replaced it 3 times and still shorts out. worst economy gas mileage a lifted pickup with a 350 gets better mileage. WASTE OF MONEY!

Suggested Improvements

Fix electrical, make body sturdier, make a smoother ride. make it easier to maintain (hard to reach oil filter). SEVERE overheating problems!

Not again
By molly_90

1998 Pontiac Sunfire Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I inherited this car, and obviously knew it needed a little work, but was in for more than a little, almost $2000 later and still more. I knew old car, slowly one by one the regular routine, had a civic beforehand and well no comparison both bad on parts and good on others. i wouldn't purchase a Pontiac again, the good thing is its a cheap vehicle to maintain never missed an oil change etc. over 300,000 km and hence the replacement of a lot of things, i myself am a mechanic so its easy, but for someone who wants a a-b car and doesn't want to replace something every other week, I'd look at another option. overall an okay car better for a first one. plus cheap on insurance.

Favorite Features

This car obviously looks pretty sleek, and easy and inexpensive to tweak, thats why i went with it mods and all have been done. I've tinted etc. little and big things. best feature only 35 to fill still with gas sky rocketing. and i run 89.

Suggested Improvements

Well for a pontiac can't be too hard on it. but the quality that was put into it is cheap.

I would definitely buy this car again
By Litlangi

1998 Pontiac Sunfire Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Purchased new, love at first sight. only major problems with it mechanically were do to our own issues with getting regular maintenance done in a timely manor and a transmission recall just after purchase. Other than that just what you would expect as it got older and more miles. We ran it to 260,000+ miles before my oldest son flipped it over on the freeway. He managed to get it slowed down quite a bit before the tire burst and dug into the ground causing it to flip and he walked away with just a bump on the head because it held up. I have no doubt that I would have gotten to 300K before it gave out. I am definitely going to look for another Sunfire when we are ready to replace it.

Favorite Features

Love the body design, chose it over the Caviler because of the front end. Interior design was very comfortable and the lines were pleasing to the eye. Had the adjustable height on the seat belt which was fantastic since I am 4'10". Very nice stereo system.

Suggested Improvements

Was disappointed in only one cup holder in the front. Was an issue on family trips. Hood lid was not flush in the front with the bumper and it always looked slightly open.

What will I drive next
By Tea

1998 Pontiac Sunfire Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

i like the car for its gas mileage, but when i go on trips that are 50 mi. or more, it's not fun to drive.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage & it has yet to let me down.

Suggested Improvements

give it more leg room & more horse power.

Very good car
By pontiac1234

1998 Pontiac Sunfire Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I have had my 98 Pontiac Sunfire for about 5 years. It only had 48,000 miles when I got and i have had no mechanical problems what so ever and I'm hitting about 150,000 miles. If you are looking for a good reliable car pick a Pontiac Sunfire or any Pontiac

Favorite Features

I would have to say it would be the factory speakers and the body shape of the car