Used 1998 Pontiac Sunfire Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Pontiac Sunfire - Consumer Reviews

1998 Pontiac Sunfire

View reviews for a specific Sunfire model:

Love my Sunfire
By lina2

1998 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Convertible

I bought my 1998 Sunfire in 2000. I have been driving it ever since. It is an awesome little car and I will be sad to replace it this year. I am only replacing it because my teenagers cannot sit facing forward due to the lack of leg room. We have not had many problems with it at all. The most extensive repair was the timing. This is an awesome car for someone on a budget. The repairs are very inexpensive (some of which with basic knowledge and a repair manual can be done by the owner).

Favorite Features

Zippy little car with awesome acceleration for a 4 cylinder! Drives great in all weather including snow.

Suggested Improvements

More cupholders:) And rain guards.

Don't Buy This
By megan

1998 Pontiac Sunfire SE 4dr Sedan

This was my first car purchase, I have had this car for 6 years now. It has worked alright. Shabby build I was going about 15mph and had a deer run into the side of the front fender crumpled it up completely and broke the drivers side a-arm and trashed the front clip. Master brake cylinder has severe issues replaced it 3 times and still shorts out. worst economy gas mileage a lifted pickup with a 350 gets better mileage. WASTE OF MONEY!

Suggested Improvements

Fix electrical, make body sturdier, make a smoother ride. make it easier to maintain (hard to reach oil filter). SEVERE overheating problems!

Fantastic Reliable Car
By Hamhawk

1998 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe

This was my first car purchase. I was barely a month over 18 in 1998 when I decided I needed to replace my aging 1977 Mustang II. I chose the 98 Pontiac Sunfire because of its sleek look and features. 12 years later I am still driving my little blue car. The 2.4 twin cam engine has plenty of pep and has never let me down, whether driving in the Mojave Desert or in Downtown San Francisco traffic. The only persistent problems I have had revolve around the cooling system. I have needed to replace the radiator fan and thermostat more times than I can remember (thankfully only a few hundred to repair), the ABS system has failed irreparably, but she has gone over 12 years and over 183,000 miles

Favorite Features

The on the steering wheel sound control is fantastic and I love the lumbar on the driver seat. Great traction control in mud/snow/rain.

Not again
By molly_90

1998 Pontiac Sunfire SE 4dr Sedan

I inherited this car, and obviously knew it needed a little work, but was in for more than a little, almost $2000 later and still more. I knew old car, slowly one by one the regular routine, had a civic beforehand and well no comparison both bad on parts and good on others. i wouldn't purchase a Pontiac again, the good thing is its a cheap vehicle to maintain never missed an oil change etc. over 300,000 km and hence the replacement of a lot of things, i myself am a mechanic so its easy, but for someone who wants a a-b car and doesn't want to replace something every other week, I'd look at another option. overall an okay car better for a first one. plus cheap on insurance.

Favorite Features

This car obviously looks pretty sleek, and easy and inexpensive to tweak, thats why i went with it mods and all have been done. I've tinted etc. little and big things. best feature only 35 to fill still with gas sky rocketing. and i run 89.

Suggested Improvements

Well for a pontiac can't be too hard on it. but the quality that was put into it is cheap.

I would definitely buy this car again
By Litlangi

1998 Pontiac Sunfire SE 4dr Sedan

Purchased new, love at first sight. only major problems with it mechanically were do to our own issues with getting regular maintenance done in a timely manor and a transmission recall just after purchase. Other than that just what you would expect as it got older and more miles. We ran it to 260,000+ miles before my oldest son flipped it over on the freeway. He managed to get it slowed down quite a bit before the tire burst and dug into the ground causing it to flip and he walked away with just a bump on the head because it held up. I have no doubt that I would have gotten to 300K before it gave out. I am definitely going to look for another Sunfire when we are ready to replace it.

Favorite Features

Love the body design, chose it over the Caviler because of the front end. Interior design was very comfortable and the lines were pleasing to the eye. Had the adjustable height on the seat belt which was fantastic since I am 4'10". Very nice stereo system.

Suggested Improvements

Was disappointed in only one cup holder in the front. Was an issue on family trips. Hood lid was not flush in the front with the bumper and it always looked slightly open.