1998 Pontiac Sunfire - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sunfire model:
Love my Sunfire
By lina2 on 01/26/12 18:24 PM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Convertible

I bought my 1998 Sunfire in 2000. I have been driving it ever since. It is an awesome little car and I will be sad to replace it this year. I am only replacing it because my teenagers cannot sit facing forward due to the lack of leg room. We have not had many problems with it at all. The most extensive repair was the timing. This is an awesome car for someone on a budget. The repairs are very inexpensive (some of which with basic knowledge and a repair manual can be done by the owner).

Don't Buy This
By megan on 11/24/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Sunfire SE 4dr Sedan

This was my first car purchase, I have had this car for 6 years now. It has worked alright. Shabby build I was going about 15mph and had a deer run into the side of the front fender crumpled it up completely and broke the drivers side a-arm and trashed the front clip. Master brake cylinder has severe issues replaced it 3 times and still shorts out. worst economy gas mileage a lifted pickup with a 350 gets better mileage. WASTE OF MONEY!

Fantastic Reliable Car
By Hamhawk on 10/30/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe

This was my first car purchase. I was barely a month over 18 in 1998 when I decided I needed to replace my aging 1977 Mustang II. I chose the 98 Pontiac Sunfire because of its sleek look and features. 12 years later I am still driving my little blue car. The 2.4 twin cam engine has plenty of pep and has never let me down, whether driving in the Mojave Desert or in Downtown San Francisco traffic. The only persistent problems I have had revolve around the cooling system. I have needed to replace the radiator fan and thermostat more times than I can remember (thankfully only a few hundred to repair), the ABS system has failed irreparably, but she has gone over 12 years and over 183,000 miles

Not again
By molly_90 on 07/24/10 18:28 PM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Sunfire SE 4dr Sedan

I inherited this car, and obviously knew it needed a little work, but was in for more than a little, almost $2000 later and still more. I knew old car, slowly one by one the regular routine, had a civic beforehand and well no comparison both bad on parts and good on others. i wouldn't purchase a Pontiac again, the good thing is its a cheap vehicle to maintain never missed an oil change etc. over 300,000 km and hence the replacement of a lot of things, i myself am a mechanic so its easy, but for someone who wants a a-b car and doesn't want to replace something every other week, I'd look at another option. overall an okay car better for a first one. plus cheap on insurance.

I would definitely buy this car again
By Litlangi on 06/02/10 12:49 PM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Sunfire SE 4dr Sedan

Purchased new, love at first sight. only major problems with it mechanically were do to our own issues with getting regular maintenance done in a timely manor and a transmission recall just after purchase. Other than that just what you would expect as it got older and more miles. We ran it to 260,000+ miles before my oldest son flipped it over on the freeway. He managed to get it slowed down quite a bit before the tire burst and dug into the ground causing it to flip and he walked away with just a bump on the head because it held up. I have no doubt that I would have gotten to 300K before it gave out. I am definitely going to look for another Sunfire when we are ready to replace it.

What will I drive next
By Tea on 05/28/10 12:08 PM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Sunfire SE 4dr Sedan

i like the car for its gas mileage, but when i go on trips that are 50 mi. or more, it's not fun to drive.

OK Car
By Jacobjq on 10/30/09 11:56 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe

I have had this car for about 4 or 5 years. Before that is was my sisters. She got it used right after she got out of high school when it was 2 or 3 years old. I have had it all through high school. For the way a 16 year old drives a car it has held up great. I have done oil changes every 3000 to 4000 miles and had the brakes totally redone. It has been crashed 2 times both in the back. but even after all that and 170000 miles it is still going strong. It dose stall time to time. But not very often. One censer did go bad on it. that is the only major thing that happened to this car. paint it coming of but it is from the crash were it was repainted.

gotta be a GT
By AfraidOfSunlite on 04/04/09 20:53 PM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Sunfire GT 2dr Coupe

I have heard of many horror stories about the dime-a-dozen Sunfire with the eco-tech 2.2 litre. Having purchased the GT with the 2.4, I have had nothing but good things to say about the performance and reliability of the 4- banger. In fact, at 218,000 and counting, I have outgrown the horrible interior, and cannot wait until the darn thing just blows up... but I am starting to think the thing will run forever! It just won't die. There are many drawbacks to an interior with ZERO versatility, and driver user-friendly usability, but I have to remember it was paid in full by 2002, and I have been driving it virtually for free for 7 years and counting! All and all, worth every penny and more!

Very good car
By pontiac1234 on 01/29/09 13:30 PM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Sunfire SE 4dr Sedan

I have had my 98 Pontiac Sunfire for about 5 years. It only had 48,000 miles when I got and i have had no mechanical problems what so ever and I'm hitting about 150,000 miles. If you are looking for a good reliable car pick a Pontiac Sunfire or any Pontiac

Was a great car
By wasgood on 11/07/08 19:13 PM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe

I just sold my Sunfire in order to buy a Grand Cherokee. That little car was awesome. I had it for over 5 years and it took me all over. It always started first turn, had plenty of pep, ran on pennies, and all I ever had to do to it was change the front pads twice and the rotors once before I sold it. It had 260,000 k's on it and would of went for a lot more. The shocks needed replacing but that's a wearable part. I felt like I was selling my dog, when I sold it, only because of how reliable it was. Great cheap car.

1 2 3 4 5 next »