1997 Pontiac Sunfire Sedan - Consumer Reviews

SE 2.2L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (12 reviews )
We love our "Blue Moblie"
By tenkat on 07/08/11 13:35 PM (PDT)

1997 Pontiac Sunfire Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

We've had this car for 13 years and she's on 188,000 miles. She's been amazingly reliable. Just now getting noisy after all the miles we've thrown her way.

it's been a long ride
By almost done on 05/22/06 21:01 PM (PDT)

1997 Pontiac Sunfire Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

at 180K + miles it still has the original alternator, original timing chain, replaced the battery maybe 3 times, replaced the brakes 2ce. I've taken it places that are made for 4 x 4s, yet suffered only minor brush scrapes to the paint from the tumbleweeds. This car is legend in my office for the abuse it has taken. I live far from dealerships--never had the recall items replaced. Manual transmission has decent acceleration for 4 cylinder. Perfect size for 5'3"-5'10" person, very comfortable. Handles sudden stops well--had to slam the brakes and veer one eve to avoid a burro at 80 mph, slid and stopped without spinning or rolling.

reliability
By 97 sunfire on 01/18/06 21:02 PM (PST)

1997 Pontiac Sunfire Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

so far i have had this car for quite a while, it was my first, and i would never buy away from pontiac or chevy after owning it, take good care of it, and it will never break down,minor wear and tear but thats normal, for a four cylinder great performance,comfortable to drive for a small car, great on gas, i do alot of driving, 25k yearly, and i have never had this car break down or anything, it has been the best first car i could have ever imagined, high milege and she drives like the day she was new

Great Car
By Ford Guy on 01/04/05 21:46 PM (PST)

1997 Pontiac Sunfire Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Have had this car for a while and never had any problems.

Don't Buy
By Julie Dunagan on 08/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Pontiac Sunfire Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I will never buy another pontiac. After 1 year everything started falling apart.

i have a sunfire 97
By davidjr on 03/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Pontiac Sunfire Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

this david and i have a 97 pontiac sunfire and it is a 1997 and i have thought that the brakes wear to tight but i was not sure becuse i had just put some on and i feel it did not do no good becuse before i got the good brakes when i hit thge breakes before i had felt a shaking sound and i had them changed but i still feel the same thing after about 2 weeks let me know what you think and also i have when i hold the brake and turn the wheel in side of the car is hard to steer

Not a bad little car
By Nao-Chan on 01/28/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Pontiac Sunfire Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

We have had very few problems with this car, and it now has 83,000 miles. The olny thing out of the ordinary that we had to replace was the Air conditioning compressor for about $600 @ 76,000 miles. The engine is still strong, and transmission shifts smoothly. My main complaint is the seats, which are unbearable on any trip that requires more than 2 hours driving.

Steady As She Goes
By MNKittyMao on 07/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Pontiac Sunfire Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Bought used 11/1999 w/ 30k miles. Had great sporty look w/o high price. Basic package. No probs, just reg maint. Now has 100k+ miles and still runs/handles great. Learned from previous cars the hard way.. take care of them, they will last a lot longer (esp oil, the blood of a car).. and the more bells and whistles the more to go wrong.

piece of crap
By unhappy women on 03/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Pontiac Sunfire Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

What a pain in the butt!! I guess they were having a bad day on the assembly line when my car was made! Everything that could go wrong did, and has!! First the window motors went out (both of them, and apparently they are hard to get out and change,) then the widows started leaking (not just a little, it pours,)both my seatbelts broke and wouldn't retract, my passenger seat is stuck all the way forward, my alternator went out, my light switch broke so my headlights wouldn't work, and my water pump cracked so I can't drive 2 blocks without it overheating all the way in the red! Oh but that's it, not too much ;(

not bad, not good
By Joshy on 10/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Pontiac Sunfire Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

An OK car for the money. I have had a number of repairs lately (nearly 120K mi. now). Head gasket has gone twice, starter, alternator, fuel injector head along with regular front end parts etc. A little bit gutless and a fair bit of body roll (but what do you expect for the money)