1996 Pontiac Sunfire Sedan - Consumer Reviews

SE 2.2L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (11 reviews )
96 sunfire died a few times still running
By shawn beauman on 09/27/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Pontiac Sunfire Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

i bought this car a month ago from my uncle he works on cars all the time he is not a mechanic but he is just as good as one. anyways the 1st day i got this car it died on me it would not start but the lights and the radio still worked (weird) and it had plenty of gas (half a tank) in it so i took it to cole muffler and they charged me about $400 just for a new starter and a new battery i got ripped off don't go to cole muffler they are (expensive) i only paid $850 for the car itself but i had to pay! $400 to get it running again and a week later it died on me again but after having it towed to cole muffler (again) it started without having any repairs done on it it has been over 2 weeks now

96 Sunfire Lemon
By sunfire owner on 09/02/05 18:11 PM (PDT)

1996 Pontiac Sunfire Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

This car has been nothing but a headache since the day I bought it. The battery constantly goes dead (even when it's a new battery), it's constantly being "fixed," and the frame is easily dented. I have yet to find a mechanic who is able to find out why the battery constantly goes dead. I've had almost everything replaced in this car to no avail. It's a lemon, I'm always afraid it's not going to start. My advice: don't buy!

Nothing fancy, just does it's job
By Notagirlyman on 08/31/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Pontiac Sunfire Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Purchased this car used with 96,000 miles on it. It was fast for a 4 cyl. at first, but the engine has lost it's pep now at 123,000. I can still get her to go sometimes, but only when she is in the mood. I drive this car about 50 miles everyday and she has been solid. Only little nagging problems, nothing major. The biggest problem was the fuel pump went which cost around $300 to replace. The brakes seem to go quicker than most cars. Don't worry though, when they are going they will let you know in surround sound before their performance suffers. Handles well in snow (if your an ok driver). Would buy again.

I hated this car
By DESIREE on 07/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Pontiac Sunfire Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

My car was messed up from the very start. I was always having it break down on me and I spent lots of money trying to keep it running. I took car of the car, but I guess that it wasn't mean't to be!!

clink squeek chub chub
By k8j on 03/26/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Pontiac Sunfire Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Reliable for six years, always did oil changes and tire rotations on time. Replaced spark plugs twice,??? Three recalls on parts. Every month or so, I hear a new noise. The dash started rattling 12000 into my brand new car and has never stopped!No one can fix it, they say that is how it was made (three said that). IT is sooo noisy from all the different noises combined. it looks nice but you always have to have the music on (coming from the only (one) speaker since the other one is blown!

Good on gas but poorly built
By HATE THIS CAR on 01/12/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Pontiac Sunfire Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Yeah the guy that got this car 150000 miles without anything is lucky. I have already replaced about 7 sensors the fuel and water pumps. Tuned up 2x. In the winter snow always goes in the car. It also is annoying to clean the front lights too. The brakes go quickly. Have replaced many times. The front end shakes if you go over 50mph. This car is good though if you want to get 30+ per gallon. And the handling besides shaking is very good. Have no problems driving but mechanically this car in my opinion is a lemon.

Great Car
By megan christine on 11/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Pontiac Sunfire Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I have had no problems with this car at all. It now have 150,000 miles ans still running strong. I have now upgraded to a 2002 sunfire and they are just great cars

Saved my daughter's life
By lisa hayes on 06/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Pontiac Sunfire Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

We purchased this car for our daughter. Little did we know it would save her life. She was hit "head-on" by a drunk driver. The driver of the other car was in a Nissan Sentra and was killed in the crash. My daughter received only minor injuries. The investigating officer told us the car save her life because the front end of the car "dropped" which allowed the car to bow upward instead of into the driver/passenger area. Also, both airbags deployed and her seatbelts worked just as they should. We are planning to replace the car with another one just like it. My daughter says she won't drive anything else!

Let me stand next to your "Fire"
By MopTop on 12/03/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Pontiac Sunfire Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

What a fun car! This is my first acr and the funnest car that i have ever driven. It is large enough to be comfortable for a guy 6 foot tall. And comfortable it is! Trust me. though it is only 150 stock HP it is very light weight, so it is very quick, especially with the sport 4 speed automatic. I kick every thing from honda's to BMW's. My friend even beat a Honda S2000 in it the other day. I love this car!

Maybe, maybe not...
By Sol-Luna on 11/09/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Pontiac Sunfire Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

This car is wonderfully fun. It is uncomfortable for tall passengers. I enjoy the ride...but it becomes very uncomfortable if used for long trips. The stereo quality is poor but can be easily changed after purchase. Small and economical. Have had problems with the brakes. Has visited the shop numerous times including all of the recalls. It is a good car in some ways...a bad car in others.