Used 1996 Pontiac Sunfire Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Pontiac Sunfire - Consumer Reviews

1996 Pontiac Sunfire Coupe

View reviews for a specific Sunfire model:

A Tank (kinda)
By canada2015

1996 Pontiac Sunfire Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

We purchased a 1996 sunfire coupe black with the 4 speed automatic in 2010. The car was nothing special but for 3 years it withstood a 45 km commute five days a week for 3 years. Then it withstood a year of intense new driver city driving. It was rotting out, the exhaust broke off so we sounded like the god of thunder for a year and a half and it was GUTLESS, You had to nearly floor it in the last year of its life. We got it with 220 000kms and when the fuel pump finally went at 305 000kms we scrapped it. Overall it was fine. The transmission had been rebuilt prior to us buying the car and in 80 000kms it had four oil changes within four years. Really not to much to complain about.

Favorite Features

it moved and didn't complain (much)

Suggested Improvements

more space, hard to fit four people over 5 feet in the back seat. The horn, rear defrost crapped out.

Good car, good gas mileage.
By angellynne

1996 Pontiac Sunfire Coupe SE 2dr Coupe

I have had this car for 4 months+ now, and it's a good car. When we got it, the brake system was all messed up by some fake mechanic and "couldn't be fixed." Took about 3 days and a new ABS module to fix it. It's my everyday car, and gets 30mpg, sometimes more. I'm not sure if it has any mods or anything on it. If you have someone in the passenger seat or a large cup in the cup holder, good luck shifting into 5th gear. The interior is rather small. The seats are okay but I wish they had an adjustable height. I think I'm just spoiled from my last two cars (upper-class sedans). This one has manual windows, locks, etc, the AC doesn't even work because the fuse is missing, but its a great car.

Favorite Features

Mileage, seat shape, reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Funky shape on the outside probably provides some wind resistance. Inside room could be used more efficiently.

I Love Muffie
By peanut

1996 Pontiac Sunfire Coupe SE 2dr Coupe

My Sunfire will be 14 years old in June. Has 175,000 miles. I love my Muffie, a name given to her because the muffler rattles. This little noise and squeaking dashboard don't bother me. Muffie still has original exhaust and muffler! Other than brakes and tires,only things I've had to have replaced are fuel pump and AC condenser. She just started showing a little rust two years ago. This car has the best speed and pickup of any car I've ever had. I love the the stereo system. My goal is to make it to 200,000 miles. Wheel wells are getting rusty. I hope they hold up. Muffie still looks stylish for being almost 14. I don't feel like I'm driving around in an old, ugly car.

Favorite Features

Pickup and go; stereo; heating and cooling system; sunroof.

Suggested Improvements

Would like to be able to open the trunk from the inside. Also, I seem to be able to get more items through the driver's side door than through the trunk.

Good car, except for power windows
By bunday

1996 Pontiac Sunfire Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

I have had one of these for 13 years, and could drive it for more. Basically a very good car. My main complaint is the power windows, the part for this were a faulty design, I have replaced the regulators on both sides 3-4 times for approximately $300 or more each, i.e. I've spent far more on power windows over the years than anything else. Also the paint oxidized so I had to have a new paint job at 11 years. Yes I also had to replace the water pump and part of the AC, but I lived in CA & TX these are expected to be strained so I write those off as normal wear. Otherwise, good design, quite zippy & fun to drive! For long time I got approx. 30mpg on the highway, which was most of its use!

Favorite Features

Great acceleration! Cool stealth- fighter look since I had black!

Suggested Improvements

Fix the power window design please!!!

Just Keeps on runnig
By Chuck

1996 Pontiac Sunfire Coupe SE 2dr Coupe

I didn't buy this car as a sports car. I mean I had a Corvette that I traded in on a Iroc-Z Camero that I sold to buy this car. So no its not fun or full of performance but it did exactly what I bought it for. It gets great gas mileage and runs and runs and runs over 280,000 miles. Yes it has had to have some new parts Starter,alternator,coil packs,etc but, all parts were fairly inexpensive and ridiculously easy to replace. As far as I am concerned this has to be one of GM best cars ever produced. With the push for high mileage cars this is one GM should be bringing back.

Favorite Features

Gas Milage and durability. 280,000 miles plus. I also just read about someone else with 273,000 on theirs. what a car.

Suggested Improvements

wheely bars. lol just kidding love it just how it is.