Used 1996 Pontiac Sunfire GT Consumer Reviews - 6 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Pontiac Sunfire - Consumer Reviews

1996 Pontiac Sunfire

View reviews for a specific Sunfire model:

A Tank (kinda)
By canada2015

1996 Pontiac Sunfire GT 2dr Coupe

We purchased a 1996 sunfire coupe black with the 4 speed automatic in 2010. The car was nothing special but for 3 years it withstood a 45 km commute five days a week for 3 years. Then it withstood a year of intense new driver city driving. It was rotting out, the exhaust broke off so we sounded like the god of thunder for a year and a half and it was GUTLESS, You had to nearly floor it in the last year of its life. We got it with 220 000kms and when the fuel pump finally went at 305 000kms we scrapped it. Overall it was fine. The transmission had been rebuilt prior to us buying the car and in 80 000kms it had four oil changes within four years. Really not to much to complain about.

it moved and didn't complain (much)

more space, hard to fit four people over 5 feet in the back seat. The horn, rear defrost crapped out.

Good car, except for power windows
By bunday

1996 Pontiac Sunfire GT 2dr Coupe

I have had one of these for 13 years, and could drive it for more. Basically a very good car. My main complaint is the power windows, the part for this were a faulty design, I have replaced the regulators on both sides 3-4 times for approximately $300 or more each, i.e. I've spent far more on power windows over the years than anything else. Also the paint oxidized so I had to have a new paint job at 11 years. Yes I also had to replace the water pump and part of the AC, but I lived in CA & TX these are expected to be strained so I write those off as normal wear. Otherwise, good design, quite zippy & fun to drive! For long time I got approx. 30mpg on the highway, which was most of its use!

Great acceleration! Cool stealth- fighter look since I had black!

Fix the power window design please!!!

Great to start with
By Bobbybass85

1996 Pontiac Sunfire GT 2dr Coupe

This was the first car I bought on my own. Let's say lesson learned. The car had 65k miles on it when I bought it and it ran darn near perfect for a year and a half, only needing new tires. Ever since then I've had to do major repairs on the car every spring. I've had the fuel pump, spark plugs, alternater, and more small parts than I thought you could put in a car break. Aside from that, it's fun to drive, a little sluggish, but fun. My only other complaint is the cheap plastic on the inside and the deafening squelch that comes from the A/C

Styling, comfortable seats, good sound system, and fun to drive.

Reliability, I'll never understand why Pontiacs have problems at 80k miles like Hondas and Toyotas do around 200k

gt..hellz yea!
By pontie

1996 Pontiac Sunfire GT 2dr Coupe

i love this little car, especially
becuase no one thinks that its fast.
cars expect to leave you in the dust,
but the gt always shows up the
competition!

im not sure if everyone has this, but the radio control from the steering wheel is awesome.

the sunfires a/c and heating system could be improved, more even flow throughout the car. the glove compartment, and back seats, could use a lighting system.

small cost big fun
By Elias Fernandez

This car has a solid 2.4 liter which
has more horspower and TONS more torque
than all the rest in this price/size
range. After market is heating up with
release of 2.4 Supercharger jit from GM.

being able to rost civs without straining the engine

need to upgrade handling to compare with RSX and rear disk breaks (brake kits are sold as well as all suspension components)