1996 Pontiac Sunfire - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sunfire model:
Good car, except for power windows
By bunday on 11/16/09 11:55 AM (PST)

1996 Pontiac Sunfire GT 2dr Coupe

I have had one of these for 13 years, and could drive it for more. Basically a very good car. My main complaint is the power windows, the part for this were a faulty design, I have replaced the regulators on both sides 3-4 times for approximately $300 or more each, i.e. I've spent far more on power windows over the years than anything else. Also the paint oxidized so I had to have a new paint job at 11 years. Yes I also had to replace the water pump and part of the AC, but I lived in CA & TX these are expected to be strained so I write those off as normal wear. Otherwise, good design, quite zippy & fun to drive! For long time I got approx. 30mpg on the highway, which was most of its use!

Great to start with
By Bobbybass85 on 04/21/07 13:01 PM (PDT)

1996 Pontiac Sunfire GT 2dr Coupe

This was the first car I bought on my own. Let's say lesson learned. The car had 65k miles on it when I bought it and it ran darn near perfect for a year and a half, only needing new tires. Ever since then I've had to do major repairs on the car every spring. I've had the fuel pump, spark plugs, alternater, and more small parts than I thought you could put in a car break. Aside from that, it's fun to drive, a little sluggish, but fun. My only other complaint is the cheap plastic on the inside and the deafening squelch that comes from the A/C

gt..hellz yea!
By pontie on 10/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Pontiac Sunfire GT 2dr Coupe

i love this little car, especially becuase no one thinks that its fast. cars expect to leave you in the dust, but the gt always shows up the competition!

small cost big fun
By Elias Fernandez on 08/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Pontiac Sunfire GT 2dr Coupe

This car has a solid 2.4 liter which has more horspower and TONS more torque than all the rest in this price/size range. After market is heating up with release of 2.4 Supercharger jit from GM.

Inexpensive Sports Car
By Deimos on 06/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Pontiac Sunfire GT 2dr Coupe

I got this car instead of the Grand Am which had the exact same engine and tranny because it weighed less. I haven't been disapointed in it. I have the 2.4 motor that even after 120000 miles will cruise at 95 and get 28 to 29 mpg all day. I haven't "babyed" this car but have (as always) done my preventive maintanence. It still looks good and drives well. There have been some repairs to the A/C but over all it has been the sporty American-made small car I wanted when I got it.