1996 Pontiac Sunfire - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sunfire model:
Good car, good gas mileage.
By angellynne on 08/14/13 06:35 AM (PDT)

1996 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe

I have had this car for 4 months+ now, and it's a good car. When we got it, the brake system was all messed up by some fake mechanic and "couldn't be fixed." Took about 3 days and a new ABS module to fix it. It's my everyday car, and gets 30mpg, sometimes more. I'm not sure if it has any mods or anything on it. If you have someone in the passenger seat or a large cup in the cup holder, good luck shifting into 5th gear. The interior is rather small. The seats are okay but I wish they had an adjustable height. I think I'm just spoiled from my last two cars (upper-class sedans). This one has manual windows, locks, etc, the AC doesn't even work because the fuse is missing, but its a great car.

96 sunfire died a few times still running
By shawn beauman on 09/27/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Pontiac Sunfire SE 4dr Sedan

i bought this car a month ago from my uncle he works on cars all the time he is not a mechanic but he is just as good as one. anyways the 1st day i got this car it died on me it would not start but the lights and the radio still worked (weird) and it had plenty of gas (half a tank) in it so i took it to cole muffler and they charged me about $400 just for a new starter and a new battery i got ripped off don't go to cole muffler they are (expensive) i only paid $850 for the car itself but i had to pay! $400 to get it running again and a week later it died on me again but after having it towed to cole muffler (again) it started without having any repairs done on it it has been over 2 weeks now

I Love Muffie
By peanut on 03/07/10 10:34 AM (PST)

1996 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe

My Sunfire will be 14 years old in June. Has 175,000 miles. I love my Muffie, a name given to her because the muffler rattles. This little noise and squeaking dashboard don't bother me. Muffie still has original exhaust and muffler! Other than brakes and tires,only things I've had to have replaced are fuel pump and AC condenser. She just started showing a little rust two years ago. This car has the best speed and pickup of any car I've ever had. I love the the stereo system. My goal is to make it to 200,000 miles. Wheel wells are getting rusty. I hope they hold up. Muffie still looks stylish for being almost 14. I don't feel like I'm driving around in an old, ugly car.

Good car, except for power windows
By bunday on 11/16/09 11:55 AM (PST)

1996 Pontiac Sunfire GT 2dr Coupe

I have had one of these for 13 years, and could drive it for more. Basically a very good car. My main complaint is the power windows, the part for this were a faulty design, I have replaced the regulators on both sides 3-4 times for approximately $300 or more each, i.e. I've spent far more on power windows over the years than anything else. Also the paint oxidized so I had to have a new paint job at 11 years. Yes I also had to replace the water pump and part of the AC, but I lived in CA & TX these are expected to be strained so I write those off as normal wear. Otherwise, good design, quite zippy & fun to drive! For long time I got approx. 30mpg on the highway, which was most of its use!

Just Keeps on runnig
By Chuck on 08/29/09 19:12 PM (PDT)

1996 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe

I didn't buy this car as a sports car. I mean I had a Corvette that I traded in on a Iroc-Z Camero that I sold to buy this car. So no its not fun or full of performance but it did exactly what I bought it for. It gets great gas mileage and runs and runs and runs over 280,000 miles. Yes it has had to have some new parts Starter,alternator,coil packs,etc but, all parts were fairly inexpensive and ridiculously easy to replace. As far as I am concerned this has to be one of GM best cars ever produced. With the push for high mileage cars this is one GM should be bringing back.

Almost 250k and still running strong!
By RevJoel on 06/29/07 13:08 PM (PDT)

1996 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe

This vehicle was a gift to my ministry from a good friend whose son ran it into the ground. I just rolled it over 227k and it still runs great. I do have a rattle in the rear left corner and as best I can tell, is coming from the struts. Cupholder really needs to be used for an ashtray. Gotta hold the drink in my lap in order to shift into Park. This car will probably run well into the 300k range if the tranny hold out. The previous owner had some work done to it about 40k ago and it shifts hard once in a while. The headliner is coming down a little in the back. Quick fix with hot glue.

Great to start with
By Bobbybass85 on 04/21/07 13:01 PM (PDT)

1996 Pontiac Sunfire GT 2dr Coupe

This was the first car I bought on my own. Let's say lesson learned. The car had 65k miles on it when I bought it and it ran darn near perfect for a year and a half, only needing new tires. Ever since then I've had to do major repairs on the car every spring. I've had the fuel pump, spark plugs, alternater, and more small parts than I thought you could put in a car break. Aside from that, it's fun to drive, a little sluggish, but fun. My only other complaint is the cheap plastic on the inside and the deafening squelch that comes from the A/C

96 Sunfire Lemon
By sunfire owner on 09/02/05 18:11 PM (PDT)

1996 Pontiac Sunfire SE 4dr Sedan

This car has been nothing but a headache since the day I bought it. The battery constantly goes dead (even when it's a new battery), it's constantly being "fixed," and the frame is easily dented. I have yet to find a mechanic who is able to find out why the battery constantly goes dead. I've had almost everything replaced in this car to no avail. It's a lemon, I'm always afraid it's not going to start. My advice: don't buy!

Reliable Transportation
By CLO on 08/16/05 22:36 PM (PDT)

1996 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe

Overall the Sunfire is a good car. Nine years old and 90k miles and it still runs reliably. It's not as peppy as it used to be - especially when the AC is on - but it still gives enough to merge on the highway. One major engine problem and a leaky sunroof that shorted out the airbag have set me back $2k the past 3 years. Dashboard squeaks annoy me. Gas mileage is good.

Sunfire
By Happy Sunfire Owner on 07/10/05 15:21 PM (PDT)

1996 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe

Purchased this Sunfire in Sept. 2004 at 10,700 miles. Have had no problems with this car. It runs like a champ. I have done regular maintenance on he vehicle. New Tires, replaced brakes, flushed cooling system, replaced exhaust system. It has passed stat emissions test.. I intend to keep this car. I like it as much as I did my "79" Pinto and "83" Mustang.