1994 Pontiac Sunbird - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sunbird model:
Unreliable Junk
By lainebot on 02/26/13 13:14 PM (PST)

1994 Pontiac Sunbird LE 4dr Sedan

I received this car for free or else I would have never bought it. Used for about 7 months - did ok. Driving through the mountains it sounded like it was dying but it got me where I needed to be. Gas mileage OK, not great. I had it sit for about a year and it got filled with water - something was leaking had to tear out the trunk material. Next year the alternator broke, battery replaced, starter replaced, serpentine belt broke, brakes replaced, and finally the tranny is going at 223000 km. Would never buy a pontiac again.

Almost a quarter million miles!
By superbird_71 on 11/27/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Pontiac Sunbird LE 2dr Coupe

My sunbird has 228,000 miles and doesn't use a drop of anything, runs great, is a fun car to drive, has the 3.1 v6...gets a legit 25 mpg and has plenty of power.

Best car ever owned
By rstamper on 06/12/10 15:23 PM (PDT)

1994 Pontiac Sunbird LE 2dr Convertible

I have never had such a great car. Had tranny rebuilt and not a problem since. Moved from central WI to SW OH and road trip was awesome. Smooth sailing all the way. Back of car caught on fire due to bush near car and the car still started up and only burned back right side. It keeps on ticking. Looking to sell now. Hoping to find another just like it.

Good car
By TMoore on 03/12/10 12:18 PM (PST)

1994 Pontiac Sunbird SE 2dr Coupe

I got this car at an auction and it had over 140,000 miles on it. it ran great! is a great car for the money. the trans is giving me problems now but i got this car for $275. I've had some brake problems but i got a good guy to work on it. as long as you put the work in, it'll treat you right.

Good Car
By The man on 01/04/09 22:20 PM (PST)

1994 Pontiac Sunbird LE 2dr Coupe

No problems with the car, 3.1L V6 is nice and strong, sounds really good when you step on tha gas!

The best car i ever owned
By Nicole Lincicum on 10/04/08 20:57 PM (PDT)

1994 Pontiac Sunbird SE 2dr Coupe

I bought this car when i was a kid it was the best thing i ever did. This car was awesome. In the end it had some electrical problems but no matter what it always ran great. I never in the 8 years that i owned it did i put more than $1000.00 into it, including normal maintenance. It was absolutely great in the winter. Eventually i bought a grand prix for more room. I will always regret giving up the best car i owned to my husband to derby, but it took 3rd place. Overall i absolutely loved this car. The electrical problems i had were the abs system, the heater switch which was ran by a switch under my dash. Overall if you can find a sunbird in good condition buy it.

My first car
By Andy on 08/25/08 20:09 PM (PDT)

1994 Pontiac Sunbird SE 2dr Coupe

My sunbird has since died but for the 7 or so months I had it it was my pride and joy. It was a 5 spd manual which made it lots of fun, with a 3.1 v6. Not much power. Anyway the thing did burnouts like no other. I only had a few problems like the clutch going (my bad) and the alternator. In the last few months it got probably twenty to the gallon but before that it got 30 to 35. This car was my second life

Looks good, runs horrible
By Kristy on 05/22/08 13:53 PM (PDT)

1994 Pontiac Sunbird SE 2dr Coupe

When i received this car, it had 73K miles on it. Over the four years i had it, i replaced the engine TWICE, the heater core three times, heater hoses every month, and replaced the manifold system three times. Another problem I had was that it over heated every other day in a Pennsylvanian summer. The interior dash separated from the radio set-up but aside from that, the interior was fine. It handled well and the frame was like a rock but it was everything under the hood that caused problems.

Driving History
By Alecia Hynson on 03/17/08 16:58 PM (PDT)

1994 Pontiac Sunbird LE 4dr Sedan

Purchased the car with 11,000 miles on it. One person driver in the 14 years I have owned the car. One wreck hit from the back by a van. The car was not totaled. Repaired very little damage for the size of the car compared to the size of the van that hit the care. Hit from the side not very hard damaged the door. Repair service could not find a door but did some repair. The total miles 130,000.I love the car and would drive it until it fell apart. Has excellent hear and air. Drives wonderful in bad weather.

Super sunbird coupe
By baytz on 01/29/07 19:35 PM (PST)

1994 Pontiac Sunbird LE 2dr Coupe

I got this great car since 2002,V6 automatic transmission, runs like new. I drive it every day without problems.The trans was fixed just one time, but that is to be expected with age. Very reliable car. I will keep driving it for few more years. I really love the interior and exterior design. I feel safe every time I drive it. The interior is comfortable. The alternator was changed once and the battery was replaced two times,also the DIS (DISTRIBUTION IGNITION SYSTEM).