1993 Pontiac Sunbird - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sunbird model:
Pontiac dead after 84 yrs.. But not Mine!
By steve allan on 11/17/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Pontiac Sunbird LE 2dr Coupe

I bought this car brand new in 1993 in west palm fla. It is 2010 now and the car has 225,000 miles on it. No major problems. It gets 32 mpg, and the car runs like a Timex watch. The only problem is interior lights don't work. This car is is the most reliable car I've ever driven. I absolutely love it. Great in snow and handles well. I live in upstate NY and plan to drive it till it dies and then may try to revive it! All I do is change oil, transmission fluid, fuel filter every 30,000 and regular service things. And I undercoated with roofing tar! Long live and GM!

One on the best American cars I know
By Jos Mario Lpez on 07/24/10 11:01 AM (PDT)

1993 Pontiac Sunbird LE 2dr Coupe

Well, Im only 16 years old and this is my first car. I learned driving on it. I think Its a very easy-to-drive car and has a good design. Although that car is 17 years old now in 2010 (almost like my age) I think it keeps a fresh design compared to other 90s cars. As for its performance with certain weather, I have no problem because Im from El Salvador and the weather is always nice. Also its not that slow, once I raced against a friend who has a Lexus and I won! I must add to that that the American cars are the best built, specially Pontiac, Its a shame that Pontiac no longer exists.

A Sunbird Enthusiast Review
By Joe on 01/02/10 14:31 PM (PST)

1993 Pontiac Sunbird LE 4dr Sedan

This is my 2nd Sunbird. I abused the first one, and killed it outright. I have found these cars to be extremely reliable, as long as you babysit it. Regular maintenance on an almost religious schedule is imperative. The 2.0 will need a head gasket job at about 100000M, and do yourself a favor, and have an authorized GM dealer do it. I went ahead and replaced the head as well, and am happy I did. Overall, a great car, just needs a finely tuned attention to detail. I will drive mine til the wheels fall off. Parts are hard to find! If you can get your hands on one at a local junkyard, do so, and LOAD UP on as much as you can carry.

1993 Sunbird SE Convertible
By littletantrim on 07/19/09 21:45 PM (PDT)

1993 Pontiac Sunbird SE 2dr Convertible

When I got my car everything worked great. Now I have had to replace a few things like the battery and the thermostat. When I got it the top didn't show any signs of damage but after a year back by the back window the roof started to crack and rip. Above the back window also started sagging and coming apart. The AC was never really cool, but the heat is very nice. One of the windows also doesn't work and some of the plastic molding on the outside of the car has started to pull away from the door. The plastic pieces inside of the car are not really that great. The dash right above the clock also looks like it might start pulling away. Its a nice car if you are a smaller person.

Peppy and good on gas.
By Sean on 07/03/09 21:47 PM (PDT)

1993 Pontiac Sunbird LE 2dr Coupe

My white 2-door came equipped with the 2.0L OHC and 5-speed transmission. I needed a vehicle after my Plymouth was hit by a goof. I've had it for about 60000 km and still get 30+ mpg. Replaced timing belt, alternator, heater core. With K&N air filter and Water Whetter, I've coaxed a few more ponies out and can surpise a few people. Regular wash/wax has kept rust to virtual nil. Interior cloth/carpets still holding up well. No severe creaks or groans after 200000+ km. Very good commuter car. Car came with ABS. I agree with other co mentor that cup holders in this version are useless. Factory stereo okay but be warned: cassette or CD player SEPARATE from radio head unit.

fun
By clown on 01/23/06 11:25 AM (PST)

1993 Pontiac Sunbird LE 2dr Coupe

my experience with this car has been great i have had no problems with it at all from when i bought it until now

One of the best cars I have ever owned
By Kyle on 09/21/05 20:53 PM (PDT)

1993 Pontiac Sunbird LE 2dr Coupe

I have at this point in my life 6 cars. My father and I own 2 auto repair shops and it is an honor to say that cars have been my lifetime occupation. My exp w/this car has been wonderful. I make sure daily that i get the tach into blackline territory(7000rpm) because it just seems to love it.(no rev limiter tuned chip and NO OTHER MODS period). All GM 4 cyl. engines will prob. require a head gasket at approx.100,000 miles(which if u know a mech. should run ya bout 500). I got the vehicle at 99,000 miles and replaced the gasket almost immeadiaty not even needing it but if you plan on crankin 7 grand a good idea. In the 45000 I had it the ONLY prob. ever was the alternator(due to loud stereo).

great first car
By LawBoyDavid on 04/10/05 21:45 PM (PDT)

1993 Pontiac Sunbird SE 2dr Convertible

I've had this car since I was 16 and am now about to turn 25. It's great during the summers and okay during the winters. 3.1 L V6 engine still runs great with 180,000 miles, as does transmission (knock on wood). As with all conv. tops, have had to replace this one twice due to rips in seams, but I also constantly take it up and down during the summer. This has really been a great car and would be a great car for any kid who doesn't have the money, but loves to drive with the top down.

Sunbird
By James Moran on 03/06/05 06:57 AM (PST)

1993 Pontiac Sunbird LE 4dr Sedan

I think it is a good beginners car. I find it very easy to control. It does have a little problem with speed when going uphill, but what do you expect with an older 4cyl car. Yes it is a little hard getting used to the fact there isn't much legroom for anyone but the driver but all in all I personally think its a great car.

Bill
By Bill1964 on 06/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Pontiac Sunbird LE 2dr Coupe

Runs good. I have had this car since 10/2001 and havent had any major problems with this car.