Used 1993 Pontiac Sunbird Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Pontiac Sunbird - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sunbird model:

Pontiac dead after 84 yrs.. But not Mine!
By steve allan

1993 Pontiac Sunbird LE 2dr Coupe

I bought this car brand new in 1993 in west palm fla. It is 2010 now and the car has 225,000 miles on it. No major problems. It gets 32 mpg, and the car runs like a Timex watch. The only problem is interior lights don't work. This car is is the most reliable car I've ever driven. I absolutely love it. Great in snow and handles well. I live in upstate NY and plan to drive it till it dies and then may try to revive it! All I do is change oil, transmission fluid, fuel filter every 30,000 and regular service things. And I undercoated with roofing tar! Long live and GM!

gas mileage, handling

needs a new paint job.

One on the best American cars I know
By José Mario López

1993 Pontiac Sunbird LE 2dr Coupe

Well, I´m only 16 years old and this is my first car. I learned driving on it. I think It´s a very easy-to-drive car and has a good design. Although that car is 17 years old now in 2010 (almost like my age) I think it keeps a fresh design compared to other 90´s cars. As for it´s performance with certain weather, I have no problem because I´m from El Salvador and the weather is always nice. Also it´s not that slow, once I raced against a friend who has a Lexus and I won! I must add to that that the American cars are the best built, specially Pontiac, It´s a shame that Pontiac no longer exists.

Sportive design, reliability, I almost don´t spend a dollar on reparations, good performance. I've seen also how people in the street look at it!

In my country it´s very difficult to find parts for this model.

A Sunbird Enthusiast Review
By Joe

1993 Pontiac Sunbird LE 4dr Sedan

This is my 2nd Sunbird. I abused the first one, and killed it outright. I have found these cars to be extremely reliable, as long as you babysit it. Regular maintenance on an almost religious schedule is imperative. The 2.0 will need a head gasket job at about 100000M, and do yourself a favor, and have an authorized GM dealer do it. I went ahead and replaced the head as well, and am happy I did. Overall, a great car, just needs a finely tuned attention to detail. I will drive mine til the wheels fall off. Parts are hard to find! If you can get your hands on one at a local junkyard, do so, and LOAD UP on as much as you can carry.

Great on gas, but make sure you address the cat-con if you have over 100,000 miles on it.

1993 Sunbird SE Convertible
By littletantrim

1993 Pontiac Sunbird SE 2dr Convertible

When I got my car everything worked great. Now I have had to replace a few things like the battery and the thermostat. When I got it the top didn't show any signs of damage but after a year back by the back window the roof started to crack and rip. Above the back window also started sagging and coming apart. The AC was never really cool, but the heat is very nice. One of the windows also doesn't work and some of the plastic molding on the outside of the car has started to pull away from the door. The plastic pieces inside of the car are not really that great. The dash right above the clock also looks like it might start pulling away. Its a nice car if you are a smaller person.

The way that it handles.

Make it more durable.

Peppy and good on gas.
By Sean

1993 Pontiac Sunbird LE 2dr Coupe

My white 2-door came equipped with the 2.0L OHC and 5-speed transmission. I needed a vehicle after my Plymouth was hit by a goof. I've had it for about 60000 km and still get 30+ mpg. Replaced timing belt, alternator, heater core. With K&N air filter and Water Whetter, I've coaxed a few more ponies out and can surpise a few people. Regular wash/wax has kept rust to virtual nil. Interior cloth/carpets still holding up well. No severe creaks or groans after 200000+ km. Very good commuter car. Car came with ABS. I agree with other co mentor that cup holders in this version are useless. Factory stereo okay but be warned: cassette or CD player SEPARATE from radio head unit.

Fuel economy. Good five speed ratios. peppy engine. Decent seats. Upshift light (manual only). Temp guage that shows varied temps. Good parts availability.

LE is base model but would still prefer intermittent instead of two speed wipers. Parking brake handle is overwhelming in center console. Some engine design: to remove main alternator support bolt, you have to remove rad overflow tank for clearance?!?