1992 Pontiac Sunbird Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sunbird model:
Poor workmanship
By MICHAEL on 04/29/08 13:19 PM (PDT)

1992 Pontiac Sunbird Coupe LE 2dr Coupe

Car started having problems 3 months after purchase. It had 28,000 miles on it when bought and by 40,000 miles it needed a new tranny and had a blown head gasket. The interior was poorly designed as it was constantly coming apart. Driving was fair at best with a 2.0 4 cyl engine that had no power and it had very uncomfortable seats.

For the most part, very good!
By Pieter on 01/25/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Pontiac Sunbird Coupe SE 2dr Coupe

Bought it with 16K mi in near perfect condition. Sideswiped in an accident, and it was never the same again. After a series of inept body and engine mechanics, 60K miles, and the accident, it's so-so. Body is still fine. Engine, with the proper plugs, is pretty good. Before the accident, I LOVED it!!! Except for the seats. Not too comfortable for long drives. Okay for highway driving, otherwise mileage isn't great, but it's pretty heavy. OTOH, if it weren't heavy, I'd probably be dead. My big lesson - find a GOOD mechanic. One that doesn't know what he's doing will ruin your engine.

Dependable Workhorse
By Chef Gabel on 06/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Pontiac Sunbird Coupe LE 2dr Coupe

I purchased my Sunbird new in 1992. This car was primarily driven to and from my place of work in heavy traffic conditions. It's fuel injected four cylinder engine coupled with a five speed manual transmission provided plenty of power and made driving fun. I replaced the altenator on two occassions and the timing belt once. I still own this vehicle after eleven years of solid service. It still gets great gas mileage and looks great.

I loved this car
By Hey Lady! on 01/31/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Pontiac Sunbird Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

This is the best car that I've ever owned. Wow, I wish that I had hung onto this one - nice reliable ride in a solid car. Good looking too!

Old sunbird V6 vs. New sunfire V4?????
By Zvonar on 07/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Pontiac Sunbird Coupe SE 2dr Coupe

Does anyone know the horsepower in the '92 Pontiac Sunbird with the V6, 3.1L? I am trying to compare the new (2002) Pontiac Sunfires ecotech engine (4 cylinder, 2.2L 140 horsepower) with my Pontiac Sunbird with a V6, 3.1L Thanks a bunch!

Lots of problems
By Derf on 07/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Pontiac Sunbird Coupe SE 2dr Coupe

This has been the most unreliable I have ever owned. The thing shakes, rattles and groans. Always ahs something that needs to be fixed. But, when I put the top down, all is forgiven. Ride is horrible and power is low for a V-6. Seats are uncomfortable.

Sunbird = bang for buck
By mcaroshambo on 03/13/02 23:59 PM (PST)

1992 Pontiac Sunbird Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

If you're looking for a car to have fun with the 'Bird is it. Shares many parts with the Cavalier, and you can find parts for them anywhere! Everything's straightforward and easy to work on

SINCE NEW
By ROBERT on 03/11/02 09:40 AM (PST)

1992 Pontiac Sunbird Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

I'VE HAD THIS CAR SINCE NEW AND HAVE ONLY HAD TO REPLACE THE CLUTCH AT 88000KMS. IT'S DROPPING A LITTLE BIT OF OIL NOW BUT THAT'S UNDERSTANDABLE SINCE IT HAS 140000KMS ON IT. IT STILL HAS THE ORIGINAL 4 BARREL EXHAUST PIPES. HANDLES WELL AND WILL STILL OUTPACE, OUTSTART MOST OTHER CARS ON THE ROAD. CAME WITH A 5 SPEED MANUAL TRANE, V6 3.1 DOHC. SPORT PACKAGE.