1992 Pontiac Sunbird - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sunbird model:
Excellent car for the price
By J. Hurley on 08/27/09 12:35 PM (PDT)

1992 Pontiac Sunbird LE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car for $200 in summer 09 and subsequently spent another $1000 on parts to get it in a more reliable running condition, and put new tires on it today. This car is pretty fun to drive, its small and easy to park, has great acceleration when you need it, sporty gear selector if you shift down past drive. For a car that's 17 years old it has held up remarkably well. Mine is the White color, and has no oxidation to speak of. Some rust where the door meets the frame, but that's about it. I'm very satisfied.

Average all around
By Keven on 05/25/08 22:09 PM (PDT)

1992 Pontiac Sunbird LE 4dr Sedan

This was my first car, and it was already 8 years old when I got it. It served its purpose until I blew all the head gaskets. At the ripe age of 16, didn't know you had to maintain a car with oil and water.

Poor workmanship
By MICHAEL on 04/29/08 13:19 PM (PDT)

1992 Pontiac Sunbird LE 2dr Coupe

Car started having problems 3 months after purchase. It had 28,000 miles on it when bought and by 40,000 miles it needed a new tranny and had a blown head gasket. The interior was poorly designed as it was constantly coming apart. Driving was fair at best with a 2.0 4 cyl engine that had no power and it had very uncomfortable seats.

For the most part, very good!
By Pieter on 01/25/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Pontiac Sunbird SE 2dr Coupe

Bought it with 16K mi in near perfect condition. Sideswiped in an accident, and it was never the same again. After a series of inept body and engine mechanics, 60K miles, and the accident, it's so-so. Body is still fine. Engine, with the proper plugs, is pretty good. Before the accident, I LOVED it!!! Except for the seats. Not too comfortable for long drives. Okay for highway driving, otherwise mileage isn't great, but it's pretty heavy. OTOH, if it weren't heavy, I'd probably be dead. My big lesson - find a GOOD mechanic. One that doesn't know what he's doing will ruin your engine.

Dependable Workhorse
By Chef Gabel on 06/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Pontiac Sunbird LE 2dr Coupe

I purchased my Sunbird new in 1992. This car was primarily driven to and from my place of work in heavy traffic conditions. It's fuel injected four cylinder engine coupled with a five speed manual transmission provided plenty of power and made driving fun. I replaced the altenator on two occassions and the timing belt once. I still own this vehicle after eleven years of solid service. It still gets great gas mileage and looks great.

Very Nice Inexpensive Transportation
By topjymee on 05/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Pontiac Sunbird SE 4dr Sedan

My Father in Law bought this car used in '92 and had NO TROUBLE at ALL with it. I inherited it with 100,000 miles and have put an additional 36,000 on it. It sat for about a year before I got it and I replaced the timing belt, alternator and the rear axle. (was sagging, we figure it was fatigue from sitting so long. Was only $500 including labor) Has been a great little car, great on gas and has never failed me ... use it to drive 300 mile round trip once a week and around town. Rides a little rough and suspect it could use shocks but at 136,000 miles it's un

I loved this car
By Hey Lady! on 01/31/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Pontiac Sunbird GT 2dr Coupe

This is the best car that I've ever owned. Wow, I wish that I had hung onto this one - nice reliable ride in a solid car. Good looking too!

Old sunbird V6 vs. New sunfire V4?????
By Zvonar on 07/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Pontiac Sunbird SE 2dr Coupe

Does anyone know the horsepower in the '92 Pontiac Sunbird with the V6, 3.1L? I am trying to compare the new (2002) Pontiac Sunfires ecotech engine (4 cylinder, 2.2L 140 horsepower) with my Pontiac Sunbird with a V6, 3.1L Thanks a bunch!

Lots of problems
By Derf on 07/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Pontiac Sunbird SE 2dr Coupe

This has been the most unreliable I have ever owned. The thing shakes, rattles and groans. Always ahs something that needs to be fixed. But, when I put the top down, all is forgiven. Ride is horrible and power is low for a V-6. Seats are uncomfortable.

Sunbird = bang for buck
By mcaroshambo on 03/13/02 23:59 PM (PST)

1992 Pontiac Sunbird GT 2dr Coupe

If you're looking for a car to have fun with the 'Bird is it. Shares many parts with the Cavalier, and you can find parts for them anywhere! Everything's straightforward and easy to work on