Used 1992 Pontiac Sunbird Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Pontiac Sunbird - Consumer Reviews

1992 Pontiac Sunbird

View reviews for a specific Sunbird model:

Excellent car for the price
By J. Hurley

1992 Pontiac Sunbird LE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car for $200 in summer 09 and subsequently spent another $1000 on parts to get it in a more reliable running condition, and put new tires on it today. This car is pretty fun to drive, its small and easy to park, has great acceleration when you need it, sporty gear selector if you shift down past drive. For a car that's 17 years old it has held up remarkably well. Mine is the White color, and has no oxidation to speak of. Some rust where the door meets the frame, but that's about it. I'm very satisfied.

Favorite Features

gear selector allows me to shift down past drive and pick between 1st and second, which is good cuz when i wanna accelerate it usually doesn't pick the right gear and has to shift twice.

Suggested Improvements

i miss not having cruise control for on the interstate, but i get over it.

Average all around
By Keven

1992 Pontiac Sunbird LE 4dr Sedan

This was my first car, and it was already 8 years old when I got it. It served its purpose until I blew all the head gaskets. At the ripe age of 16, didn't know you had to maintain a car with oil and water.

Favorite Features

Somewhat spacious interior.

Suggested Improvements

More expensive look

Poor workmanship
By MICHAEL

1992 Pontiac Sunbird LE 2dr Coupe

Car started having problems 3 months after purchase. It had 28,000 miles on it when bought and by 40,000 miles it needed a new tranny and had a blown head gasket. The interior was poorly designed as it was constantly coming apart. Driving was fair at best with a 2.0 4 cyl engine that had no power and it had very uncomfortable seats.

Favorite Features

not too bad on gas especially on long trips

Suggested Improvements

A complete redesign was necessary. a more powerful engine and comfortable seats would be nice.

For the most part, very good!
By Pieter

1992 Pontiac Sunbird SE 2dr Coupe

Bought it with 16K mi in near perfect condition. Sideswiped in an accident, and it was never the same again. After a series of inept body and engine mechanics, 60K miles, and the accident, it's so-so. Body is still fine. Engine, with the proper plugs, is pretty good. Before the accident, I LOVED it!!! Except for the seats. Not too comfortable for long drives. Okay for highway driving, otherwise mileage isn't great, but it's pretty heavy. OTOH, if it weren't heavy, I'd probably be dead. My big lesson - find a GOOD mechanic. One that doesn't know what he's doing will ruin your engine.

Favorite Features

When the engine's properly tuned, and with the right plugs, THE PICKUP!!! Sound system wasn't bad until recently (11 years later).

Suggested Improvements

less cheap plastic trim, a quieter muffler. (Hearing that thing tear apart inside was something I'll never forget!) One thing I really wish it had were more comfortable seats! Long trips (longer than 300 mi) would KILL my back.

Dependable Workhorse
By Chef Gabel

1992 Pontiac Sunbird LE 2dr Coupe

I purchased my Sunbird new in 1992. This car was primarily driven to and from my place of work in heavy traffic conditions. It's fuel injected four cylinder engine coupled with a five speed manual transmission provided plenty of power and made driving fun. I replaced the altenator on two occassions and the timing belt once. I still own this vehicle after eleven years of solid service. It still gets great gas mileage and looks great.

Favorite Features

Standard anti-lock brakes. Great fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

This car is not equiped with airbags.