Used 1991 Pontiac Sunbird Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Pontiac Sunbird Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sunbird model:

miss this car
By plowboy

1991 Pontiac Sunbird Coupe LE 2dr Coupe

Bought my red LE two door with the 3.1 V6 and a 5 speed trans. Got good gas millage with it. Always 26 minimum. The car died in 2001 with 174000 miles on it. The body was rotting away. The trans had a bearing going. The engine blew a head gasket. I drove it for 10 miles with no water. Amsoil kept it going. Cracked the block. I junked it. Only thing I did was maintenance, brakes, tires and all 6 fuel injectors. As the car got older, it got better mileage. When it died, it was getting 33 to 35 just driving around. I miss that car.

3.1 and a 5 speed!!!!!

Better rust control!!!!!!

Great Buy
By Mike G

1991 Pontiac Sunbird Coupe LE 2dr Coupe

ive had my sunbird for about a year now, and it has yet to break down on me. it is my first car, and i would not trade it for any other model out there. it had a problem when you would accelerate it would bog down but it was a simple fix by buying a new air regulator. the interior isnt the best but an easy fix. the engine is BEAUTIFUL! soon i will be swapping it out though for a new Turbo. I love how this car is very customizable. their is a couple ground effects kits that i look forward to buying. i have installed new audio,wheels,bass,undercar lights. this car is totally reliable if you dont mind paying a little bit here and there. also if you have the time its a great buy.

customization

interior.

Loved my First car! Had it 17 years!
By Michelle

1991 Pontiac Sunbird Coupe LE 2dr Coupe

I loved everything about this car. If I could have kept it I would have, but it was slowly falling apart, such as the vinyl. But certainly something to not complaint about considering it's very sporty design (interior/exterior), terrific dependility, the best fuel mileage (upwards to 48 mpg) I thought it was comfy until I drove my second car, a BMW 5 series. Even though I didn't 'need' my Sunbird, I kept it because of the great gas mileage and total efficiency. It was totally fun to drive when I go it eons ago, and still very fun to drive up til I gave it away.

Dependability, reliability, fuel economy, and still looked great after 17 years.

Kind of late to ask for improvements....but really...nothing. It was truly a great buy in every way. Wish GMC would continue to make decent cars...looks like I lucked out.

I love it...
By Candice

1991 Pontiac Sunbird Coupe SE 2dr Coupe

It's an overall great car. If I could actually afford to fix the couple of problems with it, I would be able to keep it for a long time. But how things are going now, it seems like be searhing for a new car in a few years.

181k miles and still running great!
By Eagledave

1991 Pontiac Sunbird Coupe SE 2dr Coupe

I met my wife that time she had that car. I used this car driven daily. I currently have 181,000 miles on it. common maintenace, replace waterpump and timing belt twice in same year. interior design was good, but there's a flaw on igniton, gets stuck, would not able to take key out. at 174k short on wiring to wipers and headlight, when lights turned on, wiper washer goes off. interior light stop working, but overall itis reliable, as long taking care of it, change oil, etc.

orange lighted instrutment panel; very good fuel mileage 400 miles 13 gallons.. 30 highway.. (auto trans) if it was 5 speed, it would be aobut 35

need better igntion switch.