Used 1991 Pontiac Sunbird Consumer Reviews - 17 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Pontiac Sunbird - Consumer Reviews

1991 Pontiac Sunbird

View reviews for a specific Sunbird model:

Runs like a Top!
By Laura

1991 Pontiac Sunbird LE 2dr Convertible

I've owned the convertible for twelve years, bought it used in '99. I love it but it's starting to show its age. I've had it repainted and put a new roof on it. But it survived three accidents, two front and one side very well. It's a very heavy car but it has always had brake problems. It just doesn't want to stop and the brakes on the back wheel lock up. The car also leaks and the resulting water has destroyed the gauges. The air conditioning now has a leak and doesn't work but what do you want for a car that's 20! And it still runs really well. I know it will get me where I am going .

convertible top

has a tendency to leak

miss this car
By plowboy

1991 Pontiac Sunbird LE 2dr Coupe

Bought my red LE two door with the 3.1 V6 and a 5 speed trans. Got good gas millage with it. Always 26 minimum. The car died in 2001 with 174000 miles on it. The body was rotting away. The trans had a bearing going. The engine blew a head gasket. I drove it for 10 miles with no water. Amsoil kept it going. Cracked the block. I junked it. Only thing I did was maintenance, brakes, tires and all 6 fuel injectors. As the car got older, it got better mileage. When it died, it was getting 33 to 35 just driving around. I miss that car.

3.1 and a 5 speed!!!!!

Better rust control!!!!!!

Great Buy
By Mike G

1991 Pontiac Sunbird LE 2dr Coupe

ive had my sunbird for about a year now, and it has yet to break down on me. it is my first car, and i would not trade it for any other model out there. it had a problem when you would accelerate it would bog down but it was a simple fix by buying a new air regulator. the interior isnt the best but an easy fix. the engine is BEAUTIFUL! soon i will be swapping it out though for a new Turbo. I love how this car is very customizable. their is a couple ground effects kits that i look forward to buying. i have installed new audio,wheels,bass,undercar lights. this car is totally reliable if you dont mind paying a little bit here and there. also if you have the time its a great buy.

customization

interior.

It just keeps puttering along
By Little Blue

1991 Pontiac Sunbird LE 4dr Sedan

I love this car. It has lasted for the past eighteen years and it has no problems what so ever. it performs well in all weather and I love the color. I hope that it can last another 20.

I love the tail lights they are unique for the year. And I love the brights on the headlamps. Best I've ever seen.

I don't like how it doesn't have any standard cupholders but that's the only thing.

Loved my First car! Had it 17 years!
By Michelle

1991 Pontiac Sunbird LE 2dr Coupe

I loved everything about this car. If I could have kept it I would have, but it was slowly falling apart, such as the vinyl. But certainly something to not complaint about considering it's very sporty design (interior/exterior), terrific dependility, the best fuel mileage (upwards to 48 mpg) I thought it was comfy until I drove my second car, a BMW 5 series. Even though I didn't 'need' my Sunbird, I kept it because of the great gas mileage and total efficiency. It was totally fun to drive when I go it eons ago, and still very fun to drive up til I gave it away.

Dependability, reliability, fuel economy, and still looked great after 17 years.

Kind of late to ask for improvements....but really...nothing. It was truly a great buy in every way. Wish GMC would continue to make decent cars...looks like I lucked out.