2009 Pontiac Solstice 2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual Consumer Reviews

2009 Pontiac Solstice - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Solstice model:

2009 Solstice Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
New 2009 GXP
By passkey

2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car had only 2,600 miles on it when we picked it up in Florida two weeks ago. We drove it back 1,300 miles to upstate NY. Fun experience is at the top. Seats are comfortable but soft top noisey on the road. No storage to speak of but, we brought our supplies in duffle bags. Suitcases are out of the question. Some items can be place behind the seats but only with seats slid forward. 27.2 mpg driving highways and speed limits. Small gas tank (13gals.). The turbo engine is super responsive. It does get the looks and positive comments from friends. It fits the bill for what we were looking for. A 2,600 mile trip in two weeks. Top speed 145 & 0 -60 in 5.5 sec. (haven't confirmed either)

Favorite Features

LOOKS, turbo engine responsives, comfortable seats, great sound system, chrome attributes, top easy to lower (raise) and store, XM radio, LOOKS, ride feel OK but a sports car. Did I mention it looks GREAT ! Decent gas milage. Mix gas by alternating between regular & +plus at fill ups at half tank levels. Works good so far.

Suggested Improvements

Softer suspension for better ride. No spare tire, just an included air pump and stop leak ? Maybe another cup holder (1 included). Storage space. The snap down rear roof flaps look good but getting to be a nuisance already. Padded arm rests - I use new cloth hand towels where appropriate or else my elbows get sore. Hard to see stop lights change when stopped without bending your head down. Rear view better than expected using all three mirrors.

My first year
By auto teacher

2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I am 5'9",165 lbs. male and find the car very comfortable. I have had no failures with the vehicle. I added an aftermarket wood, dash kit and shifter on my automatic trans. The power,window switches are just wrong and the top is a little difficult, but compared to my old MG's not that bad. I know some complain about the trunk, but it works for me. I love the car. I find some of the buff book reviews to be strangely biased towards the Miata, but my GXP is far ahead of that car. Too bad GM was mismanaged into eliminating the Kappa platform, but I got one and plan to keep it around for a while.

Favorite Features

Power, power, power, and handling.

Suggested Improvements

Can't be any so why suggest.

I hate it!!!
By IOB

2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I regret every buying this car! Sure, it is fun with the top down and driving on weather permitting outings, but otherwise it stinks. My car has been in the shop three different times and had a camshaft sensor problem that was repaired. The motor seems sluggish IMO and it is fairly quick, but seems harsh for a turbo. Power is not a smooth delivery. Clutch is quirky with a notchy shift linkage. The damn thing is horribly uncomfortable and interior is cheap at best. No room for anything.The top execution could be much better. The car is not what I expected. Fuel economy on the highway is good and it looks good, but otherwise I hate it!!!! I would trade this pain in a heartbeat if I could.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy and the way the car looks.

Suggested Improvements

BUILD QUALITY ON THE ENTIRE CAR AND REFINEMENTS TO THE HARSH MOTOR. The motor feels and sounds like a cheap car such as a Z24 did back in the day.The lines where body parts meet are uneven.

Happy ending
By Elnathan

2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have admired the Solstice since it first appeared. I realized recently that, to buy a new one, it was now or never. Couldn't be happier. Impossible to find comparable beauty in a new roadster for under 150K. Sure, there are a few shortcomings (cup holders, etc.), but every time I am about to get irritated I just get out of the car and look at it a while. It is supremely beautiful. Even if such transcendent looks could ever become a visual cliche, it will never happen because so few Solstices are going to be around. My wife and I have had seperate cars for some time, but she just announced that she considered the Solstice to be OUR car. It does that to people.

Favorite Features

Breathtaking beauty, smooth and authroitative power and handling. attractive and largely functional interior appointments, last, and once more: breathtaking beauty.

Suggested Improvements

Work on the cup holders, window button placement and other minor things that make some reviewers unhappy. But do nothing that would alter the exterior shape of the car.

AWESOME
By Tari

2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

After a summer of not enough time to drive this incredible machine I am sad to say I am taking it to the dealership to have it buffed out, oil changed and tuck it in for the salty months in WI. This car is what you want it to be.. pedal to the boards and 10mpg or out on the interstate getting 40 mpg. I had the power up pkg added and will never regret it. The GXP model is def worth the little extra. My other half just got the 2010 Camaro he ordered so now we're a transforming couple! LOL He got the 426 hp SS...it goes without saying an incredible car that doesn't disappoint, accept finding a place to really open it up!

Favorite Features

The seats, the interior lighting and the seat of your pants accelleration!

Suggested Improvements

Just a really fun car....don't want to put it away!

Kansas
By Gene

2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The car is more than I exspected. Fun to drive has the power and the sound of a true sports car and its American made. Driving it gives you a relaxed mind set. I don't know about the car turning heads as you go by I'm enjoying it to much!

Favorite Features

The entire car I love it!

Suggested Improvements

None

Drop Top Dream
By Tari

2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Although I have only owned a month and put about 700 miles on it, it hasn't disappointed me yet. I had the power up package added. Now 290 HP and 340 ft lbs torque according to article in Hot Rod. I still get goosebumps when I step it down and look at speedometer, I won't admit what it read! Admittedly going to be a summer ride for me but it will be a GREAT summer!

Favorite Features

Once you get used to the space issues, (lack of it)the leather seats in GXP pkg wrap around you like the seats in my Cobalt SS never did. Also the inside night lighting is awesome. I had never owned a Pontiac before so the red dash lighting was a pleasant surprise.

Suggested Improvements

With the exception of the space confinement, which one really does get used to, I only suggest that GM doesn't discontinue Pontiac, to late for that. I guess was the final reason I chose to get my Solstice, there wouldn't be alot of similiar opportunities. We'll all be riding in boxes I fear.

GXP me.
By gxpdavid

2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

As my car breaks in more and more (15,000 miles.) i like it it more and more. Some of teh switches and cup holders are in slightly wierd places but you get used to it. As for comfort and performance: I love the car. Handles, fast , good fuel economy and it turns heads everywhere I go. My friends all know I can buy a more exspensive car. So they allway ask me why a Pontiac? It's a top notch performer, that's why. Near perfect 50/50 wieght and 260HP add up to lots of fun.

Favorite Features

No turbo lag. This 2.0 liter intercooled turbo has the power of my old V8's.

Suggested Improvements

GM just released a 30 HP upgrade for this car. That would bring it to 290HP! It doesnt need it but it could be fun. GM should tweak the interior buttons and switches locations. Other wise I love it.