Used 2006 Pontiac Solstice Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Pontiac Solstice - Consumer Reviews

2006 Pontiac Solstice

Base 2.4L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (143 reviews )

6 years and 100,000 miles
By David256

2006 Pontiac Solstice 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my '06 Solstice in 2008, when it had about 15K miles. Upon delivery the top fastening hook was damaged, and the rear end was bad (differential too noisy to be OK). The water pump has a small leak, too. A dealership replaced the rear end as a warrantied item, and I fixed the top. Nearly 85K miles later, the water pump seal was finally passing enough coolant to warrant replacing the pump. I got the car out of the shop Saturday, and today marked 100K miles on the odometer. Overall this car has been a very good car, very satisfying to drive, and has never stranded me.

Favorite Features

Still great looks, performance efficiency and value, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

More interior room, better quality interior panels/dash, a tiny bit more vroom, manual locks.

Nice ride
By Eic

2006 Pontiac Solstice 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My Solstice is my first convertible after years of dreaming of owning a convertible; of ANY kind. I have driven and researched many kinds of convertibles. The Solstice turned out to be a real deal on many levels; since Pontiac is no longer in business the 1st year production models became something of a collector's item, it's fun to drive, easy to maintain and affordable. No disappointments. A cool car and I just love it in RED.

Favorite Features

Styling is cool.

Suggested Improvements

A little more trunk space for an overnight bag

do not buy this car
By barefoot67

2006 Pontiac Solstice 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

i would warn anyone against buying this vehicle. I bought mine a year ago with very low mileage and still in warrenty. recently I noticed the service airbag light coming on and also that i could not get the car into 4th gear. took it to the local GM dealer and was told it would cost $700- $800 to fix the airbad and another $1500 to fix the transmission. I am looking at $2500 or more to get the car back to where i can sell it or trade it. the car has a rough ride and no trunk at all. it is not a very practical car. they said the transmission is made in Taiwan so no telling how long it will be before i get parts or my car back. this is a nightmare. stay away from this car.

Learning Experience
By andldvor

2006 Pontiac Solstice 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Owning the car was fun, obviously it is nice to look at and definitely attracts attention. Before this car I was use to smooth riding coupes or sedans so this was a change in road feel. I realized that I enjoyed driving a smoother ride much better, so am going to trade it in. i also purchased the manual transmission which has become a hassle now that i live in a city with endless red lights. I felt like the engine stuttered a little at times in third. It has never broken down on me or anything like that, but I definitely miss a bigger four door car with a smoother ride.

Favorite Features

Two tone leather interior, radio display (when you could see it), overall outward appearance of the car

Suggested Improvements

cup holder on passenger side gets stuck, radio dials on steering wheel should be on left hand side as your right hand is usually shifting, accidentally muted my radio when turning numerous times, plastic comes off of middle console and emergency break at times, floor mat hook too far back

Chrome Tire Rims
By Jill Yingling

2006 Pontiac Solstice 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My Car is 3 1/2 years old, and I do love it. I have 14,000 miles on it now. However the tire rims are chrome plated. I just found out that my front right chrome rim has shredded inside making the interior of the rim like shredded razor blades ruining my tires. It has ruined two front tires which cost about $325.00 each. I would recommend not getting the chrome tires and I am calling Pontiac GM on Monday and I hope they replace the tire rims and check my other three tires for the same problems. My first flat tire I almost had a serious vechicle accident. The entire tire shredded. The dealership would not tell me the reason why this happened. This is a serious danger to Soltice Drivers.

Favorite Features

I love the style of the car.

Suggested Improvements

Safe tire rims.