2006 Pontiac Solstice - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.4L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (143 reviews )
6 years and 100,000 miles
By David256 on 01/13/14 09:10 AM (PST)

2006 Pontiac Solstice 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my '06 Solstice in 2008, when it had about 15K miles. Upon delivery the top fastening hook was damaged, and the rear end was bad (differential too noisy to be OK). The water pump has a small leak, too. A dealership replaced the rear end as a warrantied item, and I fixed the top. Nearly 85K miles later, the water pump seal was finally passing enough coolant to warrant replacing the pump. I got the car out of the shop Saturday, and today marked 100K miles on the odometer. Overall this car has been a very good car, very satisfying to drive, and has never stranded me.

Nice ride
By Eic on 06/22/10 14:30 PM (PDT)

2006 Pontiac Solstice 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My Solstice is my first convertible after years of dreaming of owning a convertible; of ANY kind. I have driven and researched many kinds of convertibles. The Solstice turned out to be a real deal on many levels; since Pontiac is no longer in business the 1st year production models became something of a collector's item, it's fun to drive, easy to maintain and affordable. No disappointments. A cool car and I just love it in RED.

do not buy this car
By barefoot67 on 01/25/10 15:06 PM (PST)

2006 Pontiac Solstice 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

i would warn anyone against buying this vehicle. I bought mine a year ago with very low mileage and still in warrenty. recently I noticed the service airbag light coming on and also that i could not get the car into 4th gear. took it to the local GM dealer and was told it would cost $700- $800 to fix the airbad and another $1500 to fix the transmission. I am looking at $2500 or more to get the car back to where i can sell it or trade it. the car has a rough ride and no trunk at all. it is not a very practical car. they said the transmission is made in Taiwan so no telling how long it will be before i get parts or my car back. this is a nightmare. stay away from this car.

Learning Experience
By andldvor on 06/26/09 10:21 AM (PDT)

2006 Pontiac Solstice 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Owning the car was fun, obviously it is nice to look at and definitely attracts attention. Before this car I was use to smooth riding coupes or sedans so this was a change in road feel. I realized that I enjoyed driving a smoother ride much better, so am going to trade it in. i also purchased the manual transmission which has become a hassle now that i live in a city with endless red lights. I felt like the engine stuttered a little at times in third. It has never broken down on me or anything like that, but I definitely miss a bigger four door car with a smoother ride.

Chrome Tire Rims
By Jill Yingling on 06/06/09 19:12 PM (PDT)

2006 Pontiac Solstice 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My Car is 3 1/2 years old, and I do love it. I have 14,000 miles on it now. However the tire rims are chrome plated. I just found out that my front right chrome rim has shredded inside making the interior of the rim like shredded razor blades ruining my tires. It has ruined two front tires which cost about $325.00 each. I would recommend not getting the chrome tires and I am calling Pontiac GM on Monday and I hope they replace the tire rims and check my other three tires for the same problems. My first flat tire I almost had a serious vechicle accident. The entire tire shredded. The dealership would not tell me the reason why this happened. This is a serious danger to Soltice Drivers.

The Solstice Rocks
By kevin on 01/04/09 00:30 AM (PST)

2006 Pontiac Solstice 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Overall I love the car, however GM should have worked on expanding the leg room for the driver and the passenger. The seven speaker sound system is great to listen to and even though its a four cyclinder, it still has some pickup to it.

my baby
By convertible nut on 09/16/08 10:20 AM (PDT)

2006 Pontiac Solstice 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've been driving my car daily for 2 years and am beginning to have problems with it; more problems than I expected for a relatively new car. This is my 5th convertible to drive - one Corvette, a Cabriolet, and 2 Miatas, and this is by far the least reliable car I've ever owned in my life. Yes, it looks great. Yes, driving a roadster is fun. Yes, it's a guy magnet. But I'm even debating to keep my car.

Two years and love my Solstice
By Mafasa on 08/05/08 12:58 PM (PDT)

2006 Pontiac Solstice 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Great car to drive. Most reviews I've read are on manual transmissions. I ordered an Automatic, hey! I'm getting on in years and manuals are just to difficult for these tired broken limbs. Anyway, I had to wait almost six months for it to come into the dealers. Well worth the wait. I love the sports car feel, it's like you can feel the weather lines that run horizontally across the pavement or the lines where the concrete pieces in the road come together.

Well worth the money
By Ben on 12/22/07 13:47 PM (PST)

2006 Pontiac Solstice 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car on an almost-whim. Saw it on the lot and took it for a test drive. Fell in love. Was a low-mileage repo from what I've been told. Major head turner, top up or down.

Vroom Vroom
By GRNNSXE n Cali on 12/13/07 19:20 PM (PST)

2006 Pontiac Solstice 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I got my Solstice in January 06, just after my daughter turned 21 years old. Now, it's just me and the Chihuahuas. Such a fun, fun car to drive. Heads turn all over the place, especially with the top down. Love the sound that she makes. A neighbor once asked if I had made modifications. Nope I told him, she just purrs like that. Vroom, vroom.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.