Used 2005 Pontiac Montana Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Pontiac Montana - Consumer Reviews

2005 Pontiac Montana

View reviews for a specific Montana model:

Nice Van
By storm

2005 Pontiac Montana SV6 4dr Minivan w/1SB (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought new in Dec. 05. No problems at 43,000 miles of mostly city driving. Only issue is with tire wear, need to rotate every 5,000 miles or rear tires will cup. Overall very nice van for the price.

Favorite Features

Comfort of leather captain chairs.

Worst Vehicle Ever
By KD Coughlan

2005 Pontiac Montana SV6 4dr Minivan w/1SB (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Traded '02 Montana, first day knew I had made big mistake. Alternator, air conditioning, CD player, OnStar, side doors, first year 14 times in for service. Will never purchase another GM product. This vehicle is unsafe. Unfortunately, it is worth nothing. Anyone that does not agree with this does not realize the poor quality of this vehicle. On my third set of tires, cannot keep an alignment on it. Also just replaced brakes for the third time. I am not a reckless driver. Car dealers will not even accept these vehicles on trade in, will have to give it away. Buy a Toyota, I know I will be from now on.

Great value for a good vehicle
By Chris Luery

2005 Pontiac Montana SV6 4dr Minivan w/1SB (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We enjoy the Montana SV6. We put on a lot of miles (now 117,000 miles) each year and live in a rural area of Quebec where the winters are harsh and the snow is deep. I have the extended version and have found that it has good control on the road year round. A few problems, which were limited in scope and not serious. Consisted of the following: slight rattle in dash - easily fixed, rear windshield wiper motor has given up - will need to be replaced, paint delamination next to rear center taillight - dealer will fix. I have worked inside an Asian Automotive manufacturing plant and find the quality here relatively close but the value is in the price - probably a third cheap

Favorite Features

I like the design and look of the extended model in dark blue. I find the fuel mileage very good and find the on the road control stable and solid. The way that it moves through the deep snow is very good.

Suggested Improvements

Design better front/rear windshield operations. Replace second row smaller seats with larger seats. Rear door should have reinforcement so that when you close the door you do not cause the door panel to crease. After original tires were done I switched to Michelin HydroEdge tires - great idea.

It will do
By bdp

2005 Pontiac Montana 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I read the other reviews about the wind noise, yes that was bothersome, but by using a little silicone down the drivers side rubber weather strip, problem solved. I do though have a leakage of some kind on the drivers side on the inside, my floor mate is soaked and I cannot figure where the dampness is coming from, unless the A/C line to the rear is under the flooring? I have worn a hole in the flooring from the foot action while driving. I do drive alot and it has helped on gas expense. Last I have some sort of electrical problem with the temp gauge. At times after drive for a bit and then shutting down, the gauge will max out. I have to turn the ignition switch back and forth rapidly.

Favorite Features

Large area that can haul a 4x8 sheet of plywood/ drywall if needed.

Suggested Improvements

It seems to be a good vehicle so far, based on the use. I do wish it had a few more AC inputs in the rear seating area.

2005 Montana SV6
By dlink

2005 Pontiac Montana 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased new at dealer in Fall 2004. Bad electricals from the start (flickering head lights & dash lights) as well as annoying wind noise at 60 mph+. Dealer has no clue as to fixes. Electrical wiring short occurred at 3.5 years and 106,000 miles involving main electrical circuit. Dealer charges $2,500 to fix!! This has not been a good vehicle given the fact that the van is worth about $6,000. GM deserves what they get in the world of cars; they are losing market share for a reason. Others make better cares and treat their customers slightly better! I will never buy from this dealer or GM again!

Favorite Features

NONE