2005 Pontiac Montana - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Montana model:
A proud owner
By rub1 on 05/07/13 14:00 PM (PDT)

2005 Pontiac Montana SV6 4dr Passenger Minivan w/1SB (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this van in 2005. I have the one built in Canada. I use this car on a daily basis and drive it 5 hours a week on the highway. I have not had any major issues with this fantastic vehicle. Issues in 5 years: replaced tires 4 times in 8 years the engine icon lights turns on occasionally, but after check up everything is alright. Sometimes the front a/c vent stops working for a couple of minutes and automatically starts again. I had never owned vehicle for this many years. I am a satisfied customer.

Warning to other potential owners
By echocheckin on 07/16/11 18:07 PM (PDT)

2005 Pontiac Montana SV6 4dr Passenger Minivan w/1SA (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2005 Montana used 4 years ago and actually loved it during that time, but in the last 2 months, I've put over $4000 into it in repairs which seem neverending. Overheating was the initial problem and I've had coolant leaks fixed, a new water pump and thermostat put on. The problem continued and I've ended up with a leaking head gasket, then the battery died and now it has electrical problems. Door locks have never worked properly, the temp gauge sticks so I don't even know anymore if it is overheating. I love it for comfort and roominess but I've lost all faith in it, and I only have 72k miles on it and drive it gently. I'll be trading it in as soon as I can get to a dealer.

Next one is a Toyota
By Rick on 07/12/10 19:22 PM (PDT)

2005 Pontiac Montana SV6 4dr Passenger Minivan AWD w/1SB (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have worked in a g. M. Dealership as a technician for 25 years (last 18 @ a Pontiac dealership) I can honestly say, I hate this van. Fabric on seats is horrible, stains if you look at it, Cruise control I swear will blow the engine on hills, red lines the r. P. M's (good one general motors) rattle city, suspension is sloppy, noisy, a. W. D (all wheel drive) is disabled if their is an antilock brake issue and yes the ABS has failed. Several times. Nothing better than needing the all wheel drive and have the a. B. S. Light on, might as well have a pedal bike. In short, I can honestly say Pontiac blew it with this vehicle, and they know it. I no longer work at a g. M. Dealership, and our next van will be Toyota

This is crap from a lemon!
By Mike on 06/21/10 18:54 PM (PDT)

2005 Pontiac Montana 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

We bought it with 50,000 km on it and in the first month the brakes had to be done and the heater fan went. Very uncomfortable if your over 6'. Cloth seats stain badly, nice whistle sound at freeway speed, 20,000 km later brakes are gone again, tranny hesitates, slider doors don't close properly, center fold up consul was thrown out the first day, ext. trim falling off, electronics malfunctioning on a regular basis.

slipping tranny
By tinhorn on 01/28/10 13:56 PM (PST)

2005 Pontiac Montana SV6 4dr Passenger Minivan w/1SA (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

the wife loves the van for its roominess lots of room for the grandkids, groceries, fishing poles and camping stuff. it handles good in snow and its only a front wheel drive

Bad Choice
By Unhappy owner on 01/15/10 09:01 AM (PST)

2005 Pontiac Montana SV6 4dr Passenger Minivan AWD w/1SA (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I clearly made a bad choice by purchasing this vehicle (it happens). This has been in the shop more times than I care to count (tires, electrical, dvd player, both stabalizer bars, radio quit), the problems are endless and it only had 40,000 miles on it. Cant wait to see whats to come ! At least they dont make it anymore, and spare someone else the frustrations.

Rattle trap
By Marky61 on 08/04/09 18:57 PM (PDT)

2005 Pontiac Montana MontanaVision 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is the last of the old-style Montanas, sold in Canada as a 2005 model. I was attracted to the low price (used) - half the cost of an Odyssey or Sienna. I had also heard the bad head gasket had been solved. Ours had about 42,000 miles on it when we bought it. It has performed well over the past year, though we had to replace a bad front wheel bearing, the rubber door gaskets came loose and the wind stretched the driver's door hinges (fixed at our local college). Recently replaced the crap General tires with Michelins and vastly improved the ride and noise; gas mileage is better too. The one thing we can't address are the rattles in the sliding doors. Overall, great value in a used van.

Worse Car Ever Owned
By ShameonGM on 05/17/09 11:46 AM (PDT)

2005 Pontiac Montana SV6 4dr Passenger Minivan w/1SB (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

From the second day I purchased this vehicle, we have had nothing but problems. Our first year alone it was serviced 14 times. I wont even start to describe all the problems. From bumper to bumper , we have had problems. Poorest handling, poorest acceleration, when you hit a bump the doors feel like they are going to fall off. We are on our 3rd set of tires, we cannot keep an alignment on it. Unfortunately for us, we have tried to trade for another mini van of better quality, most car dealers will not accept them on trades and if they do , my kids bicycle is worth more than the van.

Terrible Van - we are going to Toyota
By CD on 03/20/09 07:46 AM (PDT)

2005 Pontiac Montana SV6 4dr Passenger Minivan w/1SB (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Very disappointing. We have bought only GM for 20 years. Automatic sliding doors open while driving and won't latch. Mystery to dealer and GM. They could care less this is a serious safety issue. We are stuck having to go in and have the doors fixed once every few months. GM customer service tells us it is fixed each time so what the heck do we want from them?? We are so unreasonable to want a car that works Fabric inside stains easily despite many coats from the dealer of Scotch-Guard. Cruise control accelerates by red-lining RPM's causing loss of control of the vehicle. JD Powers gives this van its worst ratings across the board. Hello Toyota - GM doesn't care if they lose a customer.

Lumpy quality
By Marky61 on 03/19/09 21:08 PM (PDT)

2005 Pontiac Montana MontanaVision 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

The good news is the Montana is a well designed minivan that eats up the miles comfortably and returns good gas mileage. The bad news is the van is built with cheap plastic inside that readily falls apart. The rear hatch pull strap broke in my wife's hand after only a few months. The transmission hesitates a little and I fear it will break down sooner than later. Wind caught the driver's door last week and yanked it hard against the hinges (fully open) and bent the top hinge. Talk about cheaply made! Now the door whistles on the highway. Looking for a good bodyshop that can fix it properly. These vans are very cheaply made!