Used 2005 Pontiac Montana Consumer Reviews - 69 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Pontiac Montana - Consumer Reviews

2005 Pontiac Montana

View reviews for a specific Montana model:

A proud owner
By rub1

2005 Pontiac Montana SV6 4dr Minivan w/1SB (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this van in 2005. I have the one built in Canada. I use this car on a daily basis and drive it 5 hours a week on the highway. I have not had any major issues with this fantastic vehicle.

Issues in 5 years:
replaced tires 4 times in 8 years
the engine icon lights turns on occasionally, but after check up everything is alright.
Sometimes the front a/c vent stops working for a couple of minutes and automatically starts again.
I had never owned vehicle for this many years. I am a satisfied customer.

The interior space since sometimes I use it like a cargo vehicle or move furniture from one house to another. It is not that comfortable for the rear passengers, but the front seats are OK for me and my companion. Love how reliable it is. It has not given me any major headache like all of the vehicles I owned in the past.

I read Montanas were discontinued, but if they were planning to resume manufacturing them, I would recommend to build in more comfortable seating.

Warning to other potential owners
By echocheckin

2005 Pontiac Montana SV6 4dr Minivan w/1SA (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2005 Montana used 4 years ago and actually loved it during that time, but in the last 2 months, I've put over $4000 into it in repairs which seem neverending.
Overheating was the initial problem and I've had coolant leaks fixed, a new water pump and thermostat put on.
The problem continued and I've ended up with a leaking head gasket, then the battery died and now it has electrical problems.
Door locks have never worked properly, the temp gauge sticks so I don't even know anymore if it is overheating.
I love it for comfort and roominess but I've lost all faith in it, and I only have 72k miles on it and drive it gently.
I'll be trading it in as soon as I can get to a dealer.

As I mentioned, it is a very comfortable vehicle which seats 7 comfortably. Seats are fairly easily removable for transporting large items. Pick-up on the highway is surprisingly good. It is attractive for a van and visibility is good, not many blind spots. I don't fault the design at all, just the reliability.

Since this vehicle is no longer made, I can't suggest improvements, but for anyone who decides to go ahead and purchase one, do have a very trusted mechanic check it over first. Mine performed well until it was 6 years old, which is not a terrible record, but I would not suggest getting an older model or one with high mileage, and watch for the problems described here. Unfortunately the necessary repairs have been very expensive because, as mechanics tell me, Montana's internal parts are notoriously difficult to get at, making labor costly. A family vehicle such as a van should be extremely dependable! I should have researched it more fully before purchasing.

Next one is a Toyota
By Rick

2005 Pontiac Montana SV6 4dr Minivan AWD w/1SB (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have worked in a g. M. Dealership as a technician for 25 years (last 18 @ a Pontiac dealership) I can honestly say, I hate this van. Fabric on seats is horrible, stains if you look at it, Cruise control I swear will blow the engine on hills, red lines the r. P. M's (good one general motors) rattle city, suspension is sloppy, noisy, a. W. D (all wheel drive) is disabled if their is an antilock brake issue and yes the ABS has failed. Several times. Nothing better than needing the all wheel drive and have the a. B. S. Light on, might as well have a pedal bike. In short, I can honestly say Pontiac blew it with this vehicle, and they know it. I no longer work at a g. M. Dealership, and our next van will be Toyota

Fuel mileage, I guess

Design it like the old body style (pre 2005) oh wait a minute, that's when all GM Vehicles had quality.

This is crap from a lemon!
By Mike

2005 Pontiac Montana 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

We bought it with 50,000 km on it and in the first month the brakes had to be done and the heater fan went. Very uncomfortable if your over 6'. Cloth seats stain badly, nice whistle sound at freeway speed, 20,000 km later brakes are gone again, tranny hesitates, slider doors don't close properly, center fold up consul was thrown out the first day, ext. trim falling off, electronics malfunctioning on a regular basis.

That I am able to sell it.

Burn them all!

slipping tranny
By tinhorn

2005 Pontiac Montana SV6 4dr Minivan w/1SA (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

the wife loves the van for its roominess lots of room for the grandkids, groceries, fishing poles and camping stuff. it handles good in snow and its only a front wheel drive

easy enter, spaciousness,better transmission good handling on the road

better transmission