Used 2004 Pontiac Montana Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Pontiac Montana - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Montana model:

I live in Alaska and I'm ruff on stuff!!!
By jaykeller

2004 Pontiac Montana AWD 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my montana with barely any miles on it it was in pristine condition! After having it for five years I hunt, fish, camp, and haul quit a bit with it! I have a one place trailer that my Harley(motorcycle) Skidoo(snowmachine)and polaris(4wheeler) all fit on nicely (one at a time that is) and i don't even know they are there i make 1600 plus mile long trips in the thing in Ak witch isn't known for its nice flat hyws if you know what i mean.Then I slap the seats back in it and its my ol'ladys soccer mom wagon! I have had to replace a few things on it but mostly because of operator err like I said I am very hard on things and yet this mini van seems to keep right up with me! I Love Mine!

I take the seats out throw my blow up mattress in the back and with the auto start when I get real cold this thing is my camper and again i camp in alaska in the winter!

I have had trouble with the AWD and the auto door is getting problematic still works 90% of the time!

I could keep goldfish in my headlights
By tuesdaysgone

2004 Pontiac Montana Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Just as other reviews have stated, I too have had to replace the bearings. The headlight housing fills up with water during every rain storm. This in turn has caused my Instrument Panel to kind of short out. First the heat/water gauge, next the gas gauge, then the speedometer. Which comes and goes at will. It's arount 700-800 $ to fix, but with the water short problem, I don't see the point with the poor design. Also everything plastic in this car has broken. The cupholder door in the front of the van. The window switches on both sides. The motor is going on the drivers side window which is used more. This is my second GM product and I won't be fooled again.

I can't really say I have any favourites.

1/Pontaic's out of production, but the plastic is poor quality 2/The doors are poorly designed for snow. When you open the door it flys in onto the seats. 3/The headlight design person needs to be shot 4/The bearings, all the reviews speak for themselves

2004 Ponitac Montana
By Kayla C.

2004 Pontiac Montana Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This car was purchased new in 2004. It currently has 172,000 miles on the odometer and it still runs great. I have kept the oil changed every 3,000 miles and Dealer recommended services performed. The only problems I have had with the car is the wheel bearings had to be replaced and the air conditioner has problems cooling as it should.

Dependability, rides well, and easy to handle.

Better gas mileage, less plastic trim work on the outside of the car, a sunroof with heads up display would be nice.

Still Liking It
By Evie

2004 Pontiac Montana Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Never had any mechanical issues at all. Good on mileage as driven on long trips frequently. Longest trip I drove in this van was over 7000 km and never had issues with weight of luggage and tenting supplies packed in the back. Am very satisfied with my vehicle so far. Wished it didn't have such a limited load weight for pulling a camper trailer. Leaves little choice as to what type of camper trailer to pull as max towing without the optional towing package for 2 adults and gear is 2000 lbs.

Compared to most vans I have seen, the Montana, in my opinion, is one of the nicest looking ones out there.

Tow package should be standard. Would like to pull small trailer behind this van but without towing package, limits size of trailer and towing weight.

Overall
By Tim

2004 Pontiac Montana Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have had two Montana's both ext4dr the first was I feel the best one it was a 98 and It had 180,000 miles on it I bought it with 60,000 miles and only had to replace the map sensor no problems after that my 04 I have now I have just under 120,000 miles and have had Transmission problems with, fuel rail, injectors, coil,trans-axle,and interior flaws also I don't like the head light seals or the wiring for the taillight issues I replace the taillights and head lights almost on a monthly basis.

I like the heated seats and separate climate control for the back the captain chairs are comfortable and the van handles well good gas mileage.

Trans-axle ,transmission,headlight design and taillight issues