Used 2002 Pontiac Montana Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Pontiac Montana - Consumer Reviews

2002 Pontiac Montana

View reviews for a specific Montana model:

One of the worst cars I've owned
By HalS

2002 Pontiac Montana Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Where do I start. It leaks: windshield, side windows, headlights are full of water. Tail-lights keep blowing, I'm told its the electrical system. Windshield wipers stop in the up position. Air-conditioning stopped working. exterior trim has fallen off. Auto-side mirrors don't work. I'm the only owner of this car and my kids say I drive like an old lady and I do a mix of highway and suburban driving - so I don't think it's me. I've kept up with regular maintenance but the cost of fixing this stuff again and again is becoming quite a burden

Favorite Features

With all the bad stuff - it's a comfortable car, great for long trips if it's working.

Suggested Improvements

Improve workmanship and quality

Good van when it's not in the shop
By Randy

2002 Pontiac Montana AWD 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought used in jan 2005. Replaced rdm the first month. Steering rack alternator head gaskets a/c compressor evaporator coil wheel bearings x 3, 2 instances of broken wires to speed sensors replaced fluid in rdm replaced actuator for awd function. Good thing I was able to purchase the extra warranty. 2 bad I didn't get the 4 year plan.

Favorite Features

All Wheel Drive! (when it works)

Suggested Improvements

Where do I begin??? Everything??

Love this
By jbjq

2002 Pontiac Montana Value Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my dark red Montana from eBay in December 2003 for $11,700 and it had 42,130 miles on it. It has lots of extras including OnStar but I don't use OnStar. Mine is not the extended version. This vehicle is the perfect size. Not too large and not too small. It is the perfect height for getting into and out of. My kids would rather I drive a Cadillac CTS but too bad. But anyway I have just had regular maintenance done and a few minor glitches which I had fixed at Firestone. I have 90,750 miles on it now. Love this van. Oh and it gets 23 mpg. For what I paid I consider this vehicle to be a great value.

Favorite Features

Seats that I can remove individually. This is awesome for when space is needed to haul stuff (like all the time!)

Suggested Improvements

Hybrid or electric would be great!

Minivan Madness
By Cheryl

2002 Pontiac Montana Value Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned this vehicle for 2 years and had the head gasket go at 39,000 miles. Heat always feels like it's on when it's not. Backlit sometimes stays off. Headlights dim slightly on and off when driving at times. Would not recommend this van to anyone, I would not buy one again. Beware before you buy. Rattles a lot when driving and bad over bumps.

Favorite Features

Bucket seats are comfortable and a little sporty looking for a van.

Suggested Improvements

Fix head gasket problems. Was told a problem with this vehicle.

It's a FamVan, what can you expect...
By FamVan

2002 Pontiac Montana MontanaVision Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have been driving the 2002 Pontiac Montana for 4.5 years. I made the purchase after renting a Montana for a road trip from Colorado to Florida in 2001. It has been functional for my family and the kids have really enjoyed the MontanaVision.

Favorite Features

The cordless headphones for the MontanaVision and the radio have kept the peace in the vehicle while I'm driving many times.

Suggested Improvements

I have always wished that the automatic sliding door had a sensor or was more sensitive to obstructions. The door will close even if there is something in the way.