Used 2002 Pontiac Montana Minivan Consumer Reviews - 55 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Pontiac Montana Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Montana model:

A pleasure to drive.....
By helsey

2002 Pontiac Montana Minivan Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I got this vehicle with the intention of driving across Canada and using the van to sleep in to save on accommodation costs. I love this van. I have driven 24,000 km in 5 months and have found this van very reliable and very economical. If doing highway driving and on cruise control have managed to get 1000 km to a full tank. I found it very spacious and have a double mattress in her. I have enjoyed driving her and found the captain's chairs very comfortable even when driving 800 km in a day. I wouldn't hesitate in recommending these vans.

Fuel economy, has large fuel tank so good for rural areas. Driver comfort. Reliability

Designed to fail catastrophically
By Saaphiel

2002 Pontiac Montana Minivan Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

For the longest time, the van seemed to be doing all right. Certainly it was comfy to drive, mileage was great, but then things started breaking. A/C, door seals, ABS light, headlights full of water after rain causing me to buy new halogen bulbs every month, various electrical gremlins. The final nail in the coffin was the gaskets failing. Plenty of oil and plenty of coolant, suddenly mixed together then cooling and coagulating in the engine to a peanut butter like consistency. It's being hauled to the auto wreckers this week. Rather than throw the equivalent of a down payment on a new car at this miserable van to fix it, I bought a Toyota 4 Runner instead.

Seats were comfy, it had great acceleration.

Everything mechanical and electrical. It's as if its designed to break so they can profit from your mechanical woes.

It just wont die
By L Kampf

2002 Pontiac Montana Minivan MontanaVision Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

My Montana has 430'000 K on it and and its still driving with out any problems, and its not like we took very good care of it. The mechanic bet us that if we diden't take it for an oil change every 10'000k it would die before 100'000k, suffice to say he owes use 4 dinners now. All the interior instrumints are broken/ falling appart. The screne for the radio/ clock won't work. knobs on the rear fan speed fell off at 120'000k but in the end people who buy vans really are not looking for anything that can get them and their cargo/ passengers from point A to point B, and this van is fantastic on it.

Just keeps going and going.

Back windshield wiper broke at 100'000k... same with ABS, same with the digital clock, same with the knobs for the aircon/heating in the back.

Rust, Rust, Rust!!!!
By PC

2002 Pontiac Montana Minivan MontanaVision Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This vehicle has turned into a rust bucket. It started with the rocker panels on both sided from wheel to wheel where rust was eating away. I spent $1,000 to have them replaced at a nearby body shop. Next, the windshield cracked. The folks replacing my windshield said it cracked due to the frame rusting and bubbling, creating pressure on the windshield and cracking it. When I steam cleaned the carpet, rust comes up through the floor of the van. I'm all for buying American made products, but after spending over $33,000 on this vehicle, I just can not afford to go out and buy another Pontiac. I'll look elsewhere.

The ride is comfortable with plenty of room.

Use better Steel when building these vehicles!!!

I HATE IT!
By Austin

2002 Pontiac Montana Minivan Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I co signed on it for a family member, they fell on hard times and I now make the payments. The van is a LEMON! I have had nothing but problems with the wipers freezing in mid air, intake gaskets, sounds like a freight train, Traction Control sounds like a dying animal, power doors don't work, it sways, and it's sluggish. It is a Beautiful looking van, but it can't be trusted. I have a special edition fully loaded but most of the features don't work. I have a 2005 Rendezvous which I really love. I will never take over payments for a family member again.

OnStar