2002 Pontiac Montana Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Montana model:
A pleasure to drive.....
By helsey on 09/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Montana Minivan Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I got this vehicle with the intention of driving across Canada and using the van to sleep in to save on accommodation costs. I love this van. I have driven 24,000 km in 5 months and have found this van very reliable and very economical. If doing highway driving and on cruise control have managed to get 1000 km to a full tank. I found it very spacious and have a double mattress in her. I have enjoyed driving her and found the captain's chairs very comfortable even when driving 800 km in a day. I wouldn't hesitate in recommending these vans.

Designed to fail catastrophically
By Saaphiel on 09/01/10 22:20 PM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Montana Minivan Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

For the longest time, the van seemed to be doing all right. Certainly it was comfy to drive, mileage was great, but then things started breaking. A/C, door seals, ABS light, headlights full of water after rain causing me to buy new halogen bulbs every month, various electrical gremlins. The final nail in the coffin was the gaskets failing. Plenty of oil and plenty of coolant, suddenly mixed together then cooling and coagulating in the engine to a peanut butter like consistency. It's being hauled to the auto wreckers this week. Rather than throw the equivalent of a down payment on a new car at this miserable van to fix it, I bought a Toyota 4 Runner instead.

It just wont die
By L Kampf on 02/08/10 12:37 PM (PST)

2002 Pontiac Montana Minivan MontanaVision Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

My Montana has 430'000 K on it and and its still driving with out any problems, and its not like we took very good care of it. The mechanic bet us that if we diden't take it for an oil change every 10'000k it would die before 100'000k, suffice to say he owes use 4 dinners now. All the interior instrumints are broken/ falling appart. The screne for the radio/ clock won't work. knobs on the rear fan speed fell off at 120'000k but in the end people who buy vans really are not looking for anything that can get them and their cargo/ passengers from point A to point B, and this van is fantastic on it.

Rust, Rust, Rust!!!!
By PC on 12/05/09 07:37 AM (PST)

2002 Pontiac Montana Minivan MontanaVision Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This vehicle has turned into a rust bucket. It started with the rocker panels on both sided from wheel to wheel where rust was eating away. I spent $1,000 to have them replaced at a nearby body shop. Next, the windshield cracked. The folks replacing my windshield said it cracked due to the frame rusting and bubbling, creating pressure on the windshield and cracking it. When I steam cleaned the carpet, rust comes up through the floor of the van. I'm all for buying American made products, but after spending over $33,000 on this vehicle, I just can not afford to go out and buy another Pontiac. I'll look elsewhere.

I HATE IT!
By Austin on 09/18/09 21:45 PM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Montana Minivan Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I co signed on it for a family member, they fell on hard times and I now make the payments. The van is a LEMON! I have had nothing but problems with the wipers freezing in mid air, intake gaskets, sounds like a freight train, Traction Control sounds like a dying animal, power doors don't work, it sways, and it's sluggish. It is a Beautiful looking van, but it can't be trusted. I have a special edition fully loaded but most of the features don't work. I have a 2005 Rendezvous which I really love. I will never take over payments for a family member again.

Family Van
By Upriver on 07/09/09 09:20 AM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Montana Minivan AWD 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned a Montana for 4 years . it had 112000 klm on it. Now has 141000. All around great vehicle but it has had rear end troubles at a cost of $16000. thankfully under warranty. Now the rear end has gone again. Should it diengage the awd when cornering, Don't know. But they will spend another $ 11000 to fix it under warranty. It runs good just makes a howling noise when turning. I would buy one again.

This stopped me from ever trusting GM
By Mitch on 12/22/08 18:54 PM (PST)

2002 Pontiac Montana Minivan Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned it for 3 months and the intake gasket was done when I bought it but now it's my problem. Head gasket just went and I pretty sure it's going for scrap, as I'm not rich! I had better luck with my rusty 91 Astro. All it needed was a y pipe. I would have been better to go with a Ford Taurus wagon for the family, oh well live and learn. I always wanted a Pontiac ever since I was little cause I new they were built better and stronger than GM but now they're garbage and I will never buy Chevy or Pontiac again!

Montana Taxi
By lg3fan on 12/20/08 19:02 PM (PST)

2002 Pontiac Montana Minivan AWD 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the Pontiac Montana Ext. AWD used back in Feb of 07 with 52,345 mi and using it as a taxi. I've had great luck with the Montana and never had any major problems with it except normal ware and tear. It runs constantly for 24 hous a day. It now has 159,789 mi on it and runs like brand new. It has plenty of room and is very very comfortable for seating of 6. The AWD system is exceptional.It goes through anything. If anyone needs to by a mini van, this is the one to buy! I would buy another one in a heartbeat with no question.

Excellent Value - Great Used Car!
By Jim on 11/30/08 19:01 PM (PST)

2002 Pontiac Montana Minivan Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my loaded Montana that was gently used by a retired couple. The car was showroom clean with about 27,000 miles. It currently just broke 80,000 miles (an average of 12k/year). The van has done everything I've asked it to do. It had industry/segment leading cargo capacity and volume at the time. Its driving dynamics are excellent for a van. It was much better than the previous generation Toyota Sienna we compared it to. I think it will bring me many years of reliable service. I plan to keep it until about 220,000 miles. Buy one of these severly depreciated vehicles at a fire sale price and you wont be disappointed. I've had minor problems not worth mentioning.

Feed up with GM lack of quality
By Feed up with GM on 10/15/08 06:24 AM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Montana Minivan MontanaVision AWD 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

GM builds crap and wonders why they have problems. Our van has been in the shop way too much for big items. The van has 87,000 miles on it and we have to replace the whole gasket system and front wheel hub at 65,000 miles ($1,600 fix). The battery has gone bad twice. The DVD player barely works and the heated seats have been replaced twice and continue to short out. Now the Fuel pump has gone bad at 87,000 miles another $1,000 fix. This makes the little items like rubber stripping on the sliding doors falling off way to annoying. Do not buy GM you will regret it.