2001 Pontiac Montana - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Montana model:
any van would be better
By dirtcooker on 04/09/13 20:23 PM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Montana 8-Seat 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

so many repairs. wheel bearings, transmission, taillight assembly(twice), the CPU , traction control problems, oil pump, rack n pinion , axels all in the span of 40000 miles. this wear is not from carrying children or small livestock. i have been sincerely unhappy with this van

Time for another vehicle
By Darla on 09/25/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Montana 7-Seat 4dr Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my mini-van in 2006, and it had 95,000 miles on it. For the first two years, it did great. I took it on vacations with no problems whatsoever. And the best part was that there was plenty of room for everyone. In 2008, I had to replace the head gasket and intake gaskets. It had been overheating. That's been the biggest expense. Recently, at 165,000 miles I've noticed that if I turn the AC on for long periods of time when driving, it tends to run hot. I have not let it overheat, but it does run hot. I'm also noticing the transmission is sticking. The power sliding door has a mind of its own, sometimes works and sometimes not.

Awesome Family Vehicle
By Julie on 09/22/09 10:12 AM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Montana 7-Seat Convenience 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our Montana because we has small children and wanted the convenience of the back seat access for car seats. It has been a wonderful van for us. Love the easy cleanability of the leather seats, the access to rear seats, the ease of lowering the back seat for more cargo space. We have had no major repairs. We have taken good care of our van and had regular maintenance, which makes a world of difference. All mechanical systems still working great. It's a comfortable van, easy to drive and great for families.

Bought Ours New in 2000
By Airhippo on 08/16/09 11:59 AM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Montana 7-Seat Sport 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased this van new in November 2000 right before the 2001 hit the market. This Van has been an awesome mode of transportation. We still have it and our Teenage Daughter loves driving it to hall her friends. We had some minor AC issues at 75,00 K and had to have the head gaskets and heads redone at 120,00 Wife drove it and it got hot. That cost around 2,000. But other than that this has been a vehicle well worth the drive. We still have it so that says all. around in.

So Far, So Good...
By Auntbetty on 06/25/09 08:35 AM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Montana 7-Seat 4dr Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

We've had our Montana for 5 years and it had 60k miles when we bought it. Now it has 175k on it and seems to be doing ok. No major repairs and have avoided the head gasket issue. The intake manifold gaskets had been done before we bought it. Basically just routine maintenance (brakes, wheel bearings in front, tires). It's not as tight as a Honda or Toyota, but that's a given so don't expect it to be since you're paying thousands less for a comparable year. Fuel mileage is very good for a van (20-24mpg depending on season).

Never Again
By S James on 11/12/08 20:04 PM (PST)

2001 Pontiac Montana 7-Seat Convenience 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

OK, I was smitten by it's good looks for a mini van. What a pig it turned out to be. I have sworn off any GM built vehicle for as long as I drive. (And I control the fleet at my work) Read each of the posts and I have had the problem. Fuel tank sending unit made the gas gauge quit. Head gasket blew out. A/C out (twice) Windshield wipers nesting in the "touchdown" position. My wife drove it that way for a month because two of our neighbors were having the same problem at the same time. (It was comical) GM dealers are lame. Could be the corporate policies. Still, they give you no reason to want to even look at another vehicle built by them. I give them less than 10 years.

Handling a Montana
By Claire on 09/20/08 22:19 PM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Montana 7-Seat Sport 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our formerly leased, loaded Montana 6 years ago from a dealer. We got an excellent deal on it and soon discovered it was from a bad odor. After cleaning it several times, we still haven't enjoyed the new car smell, but we have gotten a sweet deal! It has been paid for for 2 years now and until this week, I have only needed regular oil changes, new tires and windshield wipers. Yesterday I spent $600 to replace the rear brake cylinders and the front bushings. The boys are grown and I could sell and get a convertible I have dreamed of for years, but I will drive this Beauty until she can't go anymore.

Boo hoo
By bonnie on 06/01/08 14:51 PM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Montana 7-Seat 4dr Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Seem's like everything that could go wrong has, trouble with wipers, front and back, air conditioning, brake valve, air cond, again., plastic bearing, and they now say I need to replace head gasket still I am paying on the bank loan for another year and a half, not sure if I want to risk not fixing the van because I do not have the money, or chancing I might be able to hold out until it, s paid for

2001 Pontiac Montana
By jwhub88 on 02/22/08 05:18 AM (PST)

2001 Pontiac Montana 7-Seat Sport 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

We love this van. The seats are very comfortable, and the folding 3rd seat is a must. Traction control and ABS help in the winters of northern Michigan. The sporty exteroir disign is a plus. Love the interior. Has held up well to the kids. Power is good not great. I pull a camper all summer easily. Would like engine and trans. to be more reliable. Lower intake gaskets and head gaskets are a cronic problem. Also the trans. will go bad on 99% of these vans. Also love the red interior dash lighting. Bought van with 75,000 now have 130,000. Rebuilt trans. around 115,000. Otherwise routine maintenance. Runs great, rides great, drives great

Montana Good and Bad
By Lynne on 09/05/07 07:26 AM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Montana 7-Seat Sport 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I drive our 2001 Montana and I enjoy it for the most part for smooth ride and roomy interior. Has been reliable and smooth running up until replacing intake manifold gasket at 60,000 miles due to dry rot. A $790+ repair cost that I contacted Pontiac about and was reimbursed 50% of the cost. Recently, my glove box door fell off due to plastic "hinge" breaking. The fold-down rear seat plastic hinge looks like it will be next to go. When gasket was being replaced at local dealer, mechanic broke air box and it will have to be replaced. Also, having problem with an engine sensor that indicates a problem with 1 of 3 possibilities. Sorry that OnStar will no longer work after 12/07.