2000 Pontiac Montana Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Pontiac Montana - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Montana model:
2000 Montana Extended Van
By GM3 on 09/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Montana 4dr Ext Minivan

Should have bought Japanese! Good, comfy vehicle (kind of like riding a sofa!) When I had to replace intake manifold gasket it cost about $1000 because of labor! Any more repairs and I am trading! Look at Siennas, Oddyseys or MPVs and save yourself the trouble!

I'd buy it all over again!
By ddoiron on 06/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Montana 4dr Ext Minivan

98,000 miles and still loving this van. Drives great, good visibility, captain's chairs in middle row are wonderful for kids on road trips. Seats are light enough for easy removal and fits 4x8 sheet of plywood.

Run Away!
By jtexas on 05/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Montana 4dr Ext Minivan

Run away from this vehicle as fast as you can. Bought new, loved the features, but then the problems started. Power sliding door opened while vehicle in motion! Fixed by recall, but then 2 months later same problem, dealer wanted us to pay for repair! Raised heck and GM covered it. Intermitent electrical faults. Consumed 2 quarts oil per 3,000 miles; GM says this is "normal" consumption. Then I found oil in the coolant; discovered this is a cronic problem with this engine which GM refused to acknowlege.

Great Van
By Montana Fan on 04/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Montana 4dr Minivan

With over 100,000 miles, I have had remarkably few problems with the van, about the same as my Toyota van. Engine and transmission have been very reliable. I average 24 mpg! I dislike the cupholder arrangement (not practical), but love the variety of seating arrangements and the ease of reconfiguring. It ez to drive and park (the Honda Accord is longer) and very comfortable on long trips.

Beware of sliding door falling off!!
By NJ Montana owner on 03/25/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Pontiac Montana 4dr Ext Minivan

I've had this van for 3 1/2 yrs, 36k. No major problems until the driver's side sliding door fell right off as I went to close it. It was night time and 20 degress and I had a door in my hand. The dealership states the problem was due to excessive rust on the rollers causing rollers and hinge to break . GM states it was our fault because we didn't maintain our doors by having them lubricated every 15k. I have never heard of doors falling off because of lack of lubrication and I don't think a 3 1/2 yr old van should have excessive rust. This was a regular slider (non- powered) If anyone else has encountered this problem, please post it.

Practical to drive when it runs
By GMIS GETTINGWEAK on 02/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Pontiac Montana 4dr Minivan

Great used buy. 50% depreciation after 2 yrs. Glad I never bought new. Also glad I took out a 3 year GM Extended, as it would have cost us $5,000 in year one alone. Power door module went, as did rear door seals, blower motor, coollant leak, pasenger front doorpanel fell off??? - Very, vey poor quality product. Will not buy GM ever again. Unfortunate since the van drives well and handles great in the winter.

Love my Montana!
By fsandyf4 on 01/17/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Pontiac Montana 4dr Ext Minivan

This vehicle has exceeded my expectations. Great on trips, comfortable, great handling, versatile and dependable. Everything on it works well and have had no repair needs.

Montana M2K
By ams on 01/15/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Pontiac Montana 4dr Ext Minivan

I purchased my Montana new in 2000. It is feature rich, and definitely the best looking van on the market. Not bad power for a van. Interior quality is fair, lots of plastic. Cupholders are useless, rear hatch handle broke off at 20,000 miles, Power side door sensors are intermittant (door ajar message is displayed frequently), electronic overhead display problems, fuel gauge becomes erratic at 1/4 full, and now I need intake manifold gaskets ($750). Too many negatives for me to buy another one of these vehicles.

Great Van!
By CabForward on 01/14/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Pontiac Montana 4dr Ext Minivan

Bought new in March 2000 - now at 44000 miles. We had to buy a minivan when the family grew from 4 to 6 in one shot. A minivan was not our favorite type of vehicle, but the Pontiac has completely won us over. It drives & handles like a car and has plenty of power. The city mpg is a bit low at about 17, but freeway exceeds 25.

sporty and reliable van
By montana mom on 01/11/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Pontiac Montana MontanaVision 4dr Ext Minivan

This is my 2nd Montana van in 2 years. I purchased a 1999 and loved it, so I traded in for the 2000 with the power sliding door and entertainment system. This is the sportiest looking van around. I have broken cupholders and problem with the air bag light coming on. I would definetly buy another Montana.