2000 Pontiac Montana - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Montana model:
My 6th new GM vehicle and my LAST
By UGH on 07/19/06 08:23 AM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Montana 4dr Ext Minivan

The transmission failed at 58,000 miles. Dealer wanted $5000 for repair. Asked GM for some financial help, they said NO and that I was Hot Roding the car for this to fail.At 62 years old my Hot rod days are long gone. At 75,000 miles the new Orange Anti Freeze coolant ate thru some gaskets. I got to dig out my wallet again.Over $1000 for this one. The fuel gauge has not worked for thousands of miles, the dealer can fix me up for under $800 by replacing something in the fuel tank. No thanks, I will just keep the tank full. The power windows fail periodically, but reset themselves, must be a heat thing. Fortunately the dealer only charges me $30 when I bring it in for repair estimates.

2000 Montana
By Stiofan on 03/24/06 13:11 PM (PST)

2000 Pontiac Montana MontanaVision 4dr Ext Minivan

Took this vehicle over from my sister who bought it new. Just suffered major engine repair when known defective intake manifold gasket deteriorated causing coolant to enter cylinders.

Terrible.
By Hello on 01/31/06 22:03 PM (PST)

2000 Pontiac Montana 4dr Ext Minivan

We bought this van to replace the chevrolet astro. $20,000, it cost us and the first day we had it the check engine message came up. Ever since then it's been downhill. The transmission has gone out. oxygen sensors have had to been replaced. Basically everything you can imagine, happened to this van. The cup holders stink, they don't keep anything in place. The interior is built poorly. The bright red dash display is very annoying, why couldn't have it been blue? Why do you have to manually recline the seats? This van stinks.

Montana - spacious and economical
By Jeff on 01/15/06 14:33 PM (PST)

2000 Pontiac Montana MontanaVision 4dr Ext Minivan

Ownership of the Montana has been a pleasure. The video system helped keep our two kids busy when we drove to Yellowstone and back to Pennsylvania and later to southern Florida and back, along with trips to Massachusetts and back in between. The system takes both vhs video tapes and video game inputs. On these long trips I found the gas milage was better than expected as the most recent trip to Florida gave me at least 27 to close to 30 mpg on the highway. The digital information system helps when put on instantaneous mpg, one learns what helps and what hurts as far as gas milage goes. The vehicle has given us no major engine problems, is good on tire wear and the exterior is still good.

Really an OK car for the money.
By Bub on 09/17/05 15:27 PM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Montana 4dr Minivan

I bought this car new because my mom was stuck with a GM credit.. otherwise would have bought a Sienna. However, the Montana was $5K cheaper (although now it's payback time - no resale). It has really been surprisingly dependable - little stuff (fuel pump under warranty, power window switch, currently at 75K the fuel gauge and cruise control are out) but it has been overall quite dependable. Average gas mileage (17-24), loads of power, and really handles well now that I have switched to 235/60-15 tires - you've simply got to do that. Turns it from wallowing pig to confidence inspiring sport-minivan. Air Conditioning is marginal - you might want to get the dual AC. Seats - barely OK.

A Winner in my Book!
By Snowbird on 08/05/05 08:28 AM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Montana 4dr Ext Minivan

I purchased this vehicle used and was delighted with it. Not only was the ride comfortable (2 trips to Florida from New Jersey in 2 years) but the fuel economy was great for a 6 cylinder engine (27 mpg on the FL trips). Plenty of room. My only complaints were the air conditioning (it rarely ever got cool enough) and the middle seat removal latches. Both were difficult to operate and one actually broke. Other than that, it was a great car. Seat belt restraints and air bag saved my life in a recent accident that totalled the vehicle.

Wouldn't Do It Again
By Father of 5 on 06/29/05 15:15 PM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Montana 4dr Minivan

I had expected better from a 2000 model GM vehicle. I began having electrical problems right after the warranty ran out, smelling smoke while I was driving and tracing the problem to a 24 V DC short in a connector in the interior driver side rear panel. The wiring bundle was so hot that it melted the insulation on the wires. This resulted in damage to the tail/brake light, automatic leveling and interior air compressor circuits. Now, after roughly 65K miles, the transmission has started to go out. This is a family vehicle that I needed to last for many years. As it is, I will likely get it paid off in time to junk it. Next time, I'll buy Japanese.

Underrated!!!
By Dr. RWK on 04/09/05 18:37 PM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Montana 4dr Ext Minivan

No problems here! Cannot understand why this car is not highly rated. Handles well, very quiet, adequate power, smooth ride. No problems in 60,000 miles. Normally would be trading about now, but we will be keeping for a while. Best van we have owned.

Disappointed Owner
By S. Byrne on 02/10/05 11:32 AM (PST)

2000 Pontiac Montana 4dr Ext Minivan

Love the ride and comfort and handling, but turned off on GM after other experiences, including broken fold-down cupholder; brakepad loss resulting in grinding of rotors in second year of ownership (GM did pay, although out of warranty); erratic fuel sensor, service engine soon light, change oil light, and overhead displays; flickering lighting, including headlights; sludge in coolant; air conditioner replacement at a cost of nearly $600 at 75,000; excessive oil usage. Dealer turns a deaf ear, while a call to GM was no better--gentleman I spoke with indicated that 95,000 was a good excuse for oil usage. My comment to him was that he was indicating that the life of the vehicle was 100,000!

Road Trip Okla. to Calif.Wyo.& Back
By Keith Cole on 01/06/05 11:15 AM (PST)

2000 Pontiac Montana 4dr Ext Minivan

This vehicle was loaded w/4passangers a top carrier w/luggage fought lots of wind maintained better than 29 mpg.great little Vehicle.