2000 Pontiac Montana - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Montana model:
More Good Than Bad
By jpollock on 03/17/08 19:06 PM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Montana 4dr Ext Minivan

I purchased this 2000 Pontiac Montana new. Features power sliding door, climate control, power seats, etc. Payed $32k new for it, not worth that much, maybe close to $20k. All GM's vans had problems, this is by far the best out of the three though. There are about 127k miles on it now, its still running ok, but needs new head gaskets soon, so will be trading in shortly. For the most part the quad seating and roomy interior was a great van for a family of four and the dog!

Standard GM quality
By justducky150 on 01/07/08 23:16 PM (PST)

2000 Pontiac Montana MontanaVision 4dr Ext Minivan

This has been a wonderful family vehicle. We bought with 29K in 2002 for $18M. Fully loaded w/o DVD and 100K/6yr warranty for $2K, great value by the way, after all its a GM. Standard accoutrements are excellent. The leather, rear air/rear sound, automatic sliding door, quad seating are all you can ask for unless you appreciate listless children drooling over the most recent Disney DVD. We love this vehicle and wish GM wasn't leaving the utilitarian minivan market. Crossovers don't offer the room and the Suburban is too big. We're going foriegn due to GM's shortsightedness and lack of caring for the family utility vehicle...the mini-van. God rest its soul. Marketing sure led to its demise.

why buy a lemon?
By montanajoke on 11/24/07 06:48 AM (PST)

2000 Pontiac Montana 4dr Ext Minivan

I would not give anyone a plug nickle for one of these albatros of a "truck" Funny, they clasify this as a truck, and nothing is farther from the truth.GM should be ashamed for offering such a poor excuse for a minivan, and I am not surprised there is a lawsuit regarding the lower intake gasket. If they had any sack they would pony up and refund everyone $1000, which would be about 8 out of 10 owners, and they knew of the problem for years. The resale value is laughable. I have had 3 intake gaskets done and is leaking again. I would not advise my worst enemy to buy this boat anchor. Not too mention the small but numerous problems that have plauged our van from day one.

My Great Van
By pugowner19 on 11/12/07 05:57 AM (PST)

2000 Pontiac Montana 4dr Minivan

I bought this about 2 years ago. I love the way it look. We have had very little trouble with it. It has all the bells and whistles you could ask for. The body style is still in style after all this time. I think that if the transmission or engine went out I would just have them replaced and keep the van.

Reliable as a Model T
By Poor quality on 10/23/07 19:00 PM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Montana 4dr Ext Minivan

First thing the car did was the breaking and snapping off of the plastic parts inside the car. Cupholders, knobs, ect. Then the tail and brake lights. They don't just burn out, they fuse (melt) to the plastic tail lamps. This happens every 10,000 mi or so. Did I mention oil consumption? How about a quart every 2,000 mi. The electric rear windows leak also. That's why there is huge stain on the rear carpet. A nice rusty color to boot. The radiator began overheating too (83,000 mi). When the van is started warm or cold, it likes to rev to 1500 rpm, so you have to turn it off and restart till it stays at 800 rpm. A mind of it's own for sure. Will be buying anything but this, next time around

Problems
By mlk on 05/02/07 20:53 PM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Montana 4dr Ext Minivan

Very pleased with the ride and handling. Problems with rear air, blows hot air even though it has been repaired several times. Low coolant level all the time, mechanic said I need to replace the vehicle soon becuase the coolant is leaking into the engine oil. Constant problems with the power sliding door - sticks open often, don't use it anymore. Great interior, still looks like new but cupholders broke soon after purchase- flimsy and ill placed. Driver side heated seats went out soon after warranty expired. Love the red lighted dash lighting. CD player gets very hot. Great with winter starting.

not that bad
By not that bad on 03/09/07 20:52 PM (PST)

2000 Pontiac Montana 4dr Ext Minivan

Yes, this van and the other two from GM have had problems, but how many folks have heard of PREVENTATIVE maintenance? Our van has been very reliable, except for the intake gaskets that I had to replace. Otherwise, at 100k it still runs and rides pretty good. Love the room, and we use this as our truck at times as well. I do wish they had better resale. Mine is 100% mechanically, and still worth peanuts. Power sliding door needs to be reset from time to time, but other than normal care, it has been a good van

Montana
By tricanis on 12/25/06 12:50 PM (PST)

2000 Pontiac Montana MontanaVision 4dr Ext Minivan

A shame that GM cannot make a more reliable vehicle! This would have been a great vehicle had we not had to take it to the service department once every other month. On average for 7 years of ownership I spent $650 per year out of pocket in repair costs. I had over $ 4500 in receipts that I turned in when I got ride of the montana. Yes....We purchased a Odyssey.

good montana
By ron on 12/08/06 15:47 PM (PST)

2000 Pontiac Montana MontanaVision 4dr Ext Minivan

My montana has been very reliable since my original purchase,new.The most major problems were, replacing the steering box , and replacing the rear air shocks. It's been a good vehicle.

Pontiac Montana 2000
By gvbradt on 08/09/06 18:50 PM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Montana 4dr Minivan

After 6 six years, I really still love this van. I have 6 buckets seats so everyone has their own space and the seats are so comfortable. It still looks "new", not an outdated design. Great for piling in the kids and going somewhere and not having to worry about getting anything.