2000 Pontiac Montana Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Montana model:
Best vehicle I've had so far!
By vipergtsdrivr on 08/13/12 09:59 AM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Montana Minivan 4dr Minivan

I've had a short version of Montana for 5 years now. The van has 380,000km on it and it still runs. I only had to deal with minor problems. Just do your regular maintenance on this car and it will serve you well. So far this van has lived in Toronto, Edmonton and Vancouver. I'm upgrading to 2003 Pontiac Montana Thunder as it has many improvements over the previous models. AWD and independent suspension are just two of the many features. If you are looking for a good, reliable and enjoyable vehicle to own, look no further; there simply is no better option given their cost.

just okay
By gmcman97 on 03/05/12 12:52 PM (PST)

2000 Pontiac Montana Minivan MontanaVision 4dr Ext Minivan

had a lot of problems for the first 3 years some were fixed before warranty ran out had to threaten to sue for after warranty problems but settled out of court for extended warranty (7 yrs. 84,000 miles) have not had anything serious go wrong since it became completely out of warranty the usual tire wear, battery, water pump, alternator etc.

So far so good
By larryrbenson on 11/16/11 12:28 PM (PST)

2000 Pontiac Montana Minivan 4dr Ext Minivan

I picked this minivan up at an auction a week ago and so far I need to get some front end work done (shocks or struts, it drives well but with the FWD and weight in the front it rides hard and you can feel most the bumps). There are a few issues, Gas Gauge is not working properly, Passenger side sliding door motor does not work, you can hear it click but never engages. Other than that.. It's roomy, engine and transmission still feel very strong and smooth at 187K miles and overall I am very happy with the purchase. I'll update this once I get my front end looked at and find out what the cost of getting the ride a bit smoother is and if any new bugs pop up but so far, good buy!

It is what it is
By enduran on 10/29/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Montana Minivan 4dr Minivan

Has been a decent vehicle for our family. My Grandmother owned one that was plowed into a tree at about 30+ mph and I liked how the vehicle withstood the crash so we bought one. My wife loves it and I have had to make quite a few repairs lately because she doesn't want to let it go. If your Montana is overheating, without getting oil in your antifreeze, and antifeeze is being pushed out of your holding tank it's the head gasket. I learned that the hard/expensive way. Currently has 151,000 miles hope it gives me plenty more.

Waiting for the hammer to drop
By Chris on 08/09/10 16:53 PM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Montana Minivan 4dr Ext Minivan

This was the worst vehicle I owned in well over 28 years, we (husband and I owned 5 GM in those years). We bought this as a buy back in 03, bought the platinum warranty, thank God. The problems started within a month, ignition wiring, spark plugs seized in place and cracked, fuel problems, torque converter problems, head gasket problems, rusted through and through on the roof with a big gaping hole in 04, window stopped working, ac clutch assy, flush injectors, valve body and pressure solenoid in transmission, throttle body, electrical problems that prevented starts or constant running, reconditioned heads, intake and plenum, t-stat, drive seal for the coolant leak in engine. 1st year

Best car I have ever owned.
By Twins Plus One Mom on 05/16/10 15:49 PM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Montana Minivan 4dr Ext Minivan

I love my Montana. I only wish that there were better cup holders in the front. This van has NEVER broken down in the 11 years I have owned it. I did have an issue with after market S-belt tensioners. One of the two is not right. I went through 3 belts and tensioners before my current machanic found the issue. We drove two cross country trips, and had a great time. I love the power sliding door! The rear cargo space. The sound system is still bursting ear drums. I wish I weren't so envriomently involved. I need to get better EPA ratings. I am going to try to sell it in the next 3 to 6 months. I already have 3 people that want it. Love it. Love it.. LOVE THIS VAN. My kids are sad to say bye.

Wouldn't Do It Again (continued)
By Father of 5 on 04/15/10 03:08 AM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Montana Minivan 4dr Minivan

I made the decision to never buy a GM vehicle again in 2005. In that same year, my other vehicle was hit and we used the insurance money to buy a used 1992 Acura Vigor. That vehicle now has 250K miles on it and is just now starting to wear out. In the five years I’ve owned it, I’ve put 130K miles on it and never had to do anything but routine maintenance. In my view, it’s too bad that bankruptcy didn’t end in GM’s total elimination from the market. I’ve driven their cars for 25+ years, waiting for them to improve the quality of their product to something acceptable and it hasn’t happened. The cars they made back then had nothing but electrical problems and the same is still true

Wouldn't Do It Again (continued)
By Father of 5 on 04/15/10 03:04 AM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Montana Minivan 4dr Minivan

12. Rear taillight assembly/wiring replaced due to shorts 13. Rear wiper motor failed 14. Rear hatch dampers replaced 15. Rear hatch strap broke almost immediately 16. Rear automatic windows will not open 17. Radio display has not worked for years 18. Gas gauge reads only either full or empty – and incorrectly at that 19. Driver and passenger side power windows will roll down but not back up. GM wants $1,000 each for replacement motors (insane). I found them on the internet for $125 each as part of a window regulator kit. 20. AC fan hardly works. 21. Transmission has intermittently shifted hard for 5 years, but has not failed. 22. Gas tank cover door broken and will not close

Wouldn't do It Again
By Father of 5 on 04/15/10 02:59 AM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Montana Minivan 4dr Minivan

Well, for those of you who care, here is a rare opportunity to get some more feedback on this vehicle roughly 5 years after the original post. My Montana is now 10 years old and now has 176K miles on it. I think the repair track record (in addition to the normal stuff) speaks for itself: 1. Head gasket ~ $1,500 2. Failed water pump 3. Engine will intermittently rev high and only returns to normal after the engine is shut off and restarted. 4. Driver side sliding door literally fell off – failed weld on the main bearing assembly 5. Interior ceiling trim around driver side sliding door fell off. (Held on by double-sided sticky tape) 6. Passenger side sliding door motor failed closed

Great Van
By freebiefan on 01/29/10 14:15 PM (PST)

2000 Pontiac Montana Minivan 4dr Ext Minivan

I bought this van with over 200K miles on it. Ran extremely well when I bought it and lasted for almost 2 years w/o any problems. The 3.4 is the best anyone can ask for. I sold this at 260,000 miles. Still ran like a top. Fastest car I've owned surprised everyone when I would step on it! Wow what a mini van!