Used 2000 Pontiac Montana Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Pontiac Montana - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Montana model:

Best vehicle I've had so far!
By vipergtsdrivr

2000 Pontiac Montana 4dr Minivan

I've had a short version of Montana for 5 years now. The van has 380,000km on it and it still runs. I only had to deal with minor problems. Just do your regular maintenance on this car and it will serve you well. So far this van has lived in Toronto, Edmonton and Vancouver. I'm upgrading to 2003 Pontiac Montana Thunder as it has many improvements over the previous models. AWD and independent suspension are just two of the many features. If you are looking for a good, reliable and enjoyable vehicle to own, look no further; there simply is no better option given their cost.

Favorite Features

- Amazing Fuel consumption (900km+ on a single tank from Edmonton, AB to Salmo, BC) - A lot of interior space - great for camping, no need to set up a tent (use a blow up mattress in the back) - Will start at -40 to +40 - this has been tested on many occasions - Very pleasant and usable cockpit design - This van has taken the same routes as my friends did in their 4x4's without any problems - Amazing vehicle for anyone who has kids

Suggested Improvements

- Make sure that you have good BALANCED wheels/tires that will not kill your front linkage/suspension/etc - Windshield wiper gear is notorious for stripping if you keep using the wipers in cold temperatures (when they are frozen to the windshield) - These vans feel the best when paired with wider/bigger tires. 225x70 feels great.

just okay
By gmcman97

2000 Pontiac Montana MontanaVision 4dr Ext Minivan

had a lot of problems for the first 3 years some were fixed before warranty ran out had to threaten to sue for after warranty problems but settled out of court for extended warranty (7 yrs. 84,000 miles) have not had anything serious go wrong since it became completely out of warranty the usual tire wear, battery, water pump, alternator etc.

Favorite Features

seating set up captain chairs in front comfortable second row seats third row seats (2) removed to fit motorized wheel chair

Suggested Improvements

much needed better quality control one I had was indeed a lemon stronger V6 engine & transmission much needed better suspension better fuel economy

So far so good
By larryrbenson

2000 Pontiac Montana 4dr Ext Minivan

I picked this minivan up at an auction a week ago and so far I need to get some front end work done (shocks or struts, it drives well but with the FWD and weight in the front it rides hard and you can feel most the bumps). There are a few issues, Gas Gauge is not working properly, Passenger side sliding door motor does not work, you can hear it click but never engages. Other than that.. It's roomy, engine and transmission still feel very strong and smooth at 187K miles and overall I am very happy with the purchase. I'll update this once I get my front end looked at and find out what the cost of getting the ride a bit smoother is and if any new bugs pop up but so far, good buy!

It is what it is
By enduran

2000 Pontiac Montana 4dr Minivan

Has been a decent vehicle for our family. My Grandmother owned one that was plowed into a tree at about 30+ mph and I liked how the vehicle withstood the crash so we bought one. My wife loves it and I have had to make quite a few repairs lately because she doesn't want to let it go. If your Montana is overheating, without getting oil in your antifreeze, and antifeeze is being pushed out of your holding tank it's the head gasket. I learned that the hard/expensive way. Currently has 151,000 miles hope it gives me plenty more.

Favorite Features

engine is a strong performer, like the auto rear windows

Suggested Improvements

Electrical connectors are complete garbage. Tranny runs too hot

Waiting for the hammer to drop
By Chris

2000 Pontiac Montana 4dr Ext Minivan

This was the worst vehicle I owned in well over 28 years, we (husband and I owned 5 GM in those years). We bought this as a buy back in 03, bought the platinum warranty, thank God. The problems started within a month, ignition wiring, spark plugs seized in place and cracked, fuel problems, torque converter problems, head gasket problems, rusted through and through on the roof with a big gaping hole in 04, window stopped working, ac clutch assy, flush injectors, valve body and pressure solenoid in transmission, throttle body, electrical problems that prevented starts or constant running, reconditioned heads, intake and plenum, t-stat, drive seal for the coolant leak in engine. 1st year

Favorite Features

comfortable, quiet ride

Suggested Improvements

electrical to be redone and rethought of, transmission problems to be fixed, and the engine coolant thing Come on!