Used 1999 Pontiac Montana Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Pontiac Montana Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Montana model:
Satisfied Buyer
By Saundra Lockhart on 07/14/07 18:39 PM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Montana Minivan 4dr Ext Minivan

I bought my 99 Montana new as a demo. I bought the extended warranty bumper to bumper for 100,000 miles. I did have transmission problems at 95,000 miles but the repairs were covered under the warranty. That was the only major repair. Now it has 145,000 miles and I still drive it every day. Most of the miles are city driving, but I also make cross country trips every year. Now I am giving this Montana to my son who starts college this fall. I will buy a new car.

Watch your wallet
By marauder on 04/04/07 08:20 AM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Montana Minivan 4dr Ext Minivan

We have replaced the following since purchasing new in 1999: head gasket at 75K followed by 3.4L V6 engine at 125K. Intake manifold gasket failure is the likely culprit. Not through yet. Engine trouble light continues to display with replacement engine. CD player quit working at 30K. Pontiac Customer Service offered no goodwill assistance. Total cost of major repairs so far = $6K. Driving excitement = zero.

8 years ... $0 in repairs
By pjk on 09/04/06 17:44 PM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Montana Minivan 4dr Ext Minivan

Knock on wood. So far our "99" Pontiac Montana has been just about flawless and has not cost us one red cent in repairs so far. We bought it new and are very pleased with this Van. We had some minor problems that were fixed when taking it in for inspections at not cost to us. We had a minor leak in the rear hatch.. one of the seat switches was replaced which we really didn't know was bad and the sliding door was recalled to have it recalibrated the door has never failed. The van still looks like new and still has it's original exhaust. We get a easy 25 mpg on the road. We will be buying a new vehicle next year... we will most likely buy another GM v

Don"t buy it!!! Unreliable
By hflood on 07/01/06 17:28 PM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Montana Minivan 4dr Minivan

I have owned this car since 2002 and it has had muliple problems. Last year the engine went out at only 70,000 miles. It has been sitting for a year now. TOTAL LEMON!!!

A GEM
By Stoney on 01/19/06 17:09 PM (PST)

1999 Pontiac Montana Minivan 4dr Ext Minivan

Bought my montana new in 1999. Wow what a Gem. I've had no major mechanical issues at all other than doing schedule maintance and normal wear. As of today I have 166,000 miles on it and still no signs of major trouble. I will be looking to buy a used (2004) in the near future. I guess regular maintance and care pays off as with anything else.

Recent Purchase and Happy...
By Yvonne on 11/07/05 22:45 PM (PST)

1999 Pontiac Montana Minivan 4dr Minivan

We have found this van to have everything we were looking for. The front and rear heat and air adjustments are great. We are very happy with the comfort of all the adjustments over all.

Repairs plus Repairs
By Kevin M. on 09/01/05 22:56 PM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Montana Minivan 4dr Ext Minivan

Just lost the tranny the other day with only 62,000 miles and most of the miles on the vehicle are highway miles. The heating system has been a disappointment from day one. Power Window and Door Locks have been more problems that what they are worth. Over $800 were spent on trying to diagnose why the service engine light was on, only to have it come on again and have the dealer say a valve is going out in the transmission, but it won't hurt to drive it - right? The van was religiously serviced but apparently the American quality just isn't there. I have a problem when you pay over $25,000 for a new vehichle and it has major system failures only after 62,000 miles.

oh that intake manifold leak
By atpIOWA on 08/12/05 18:50 PM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Montana Minivan 4dr Ext Minivan

First 70,000 miles were heaven, the most favorite vehicle we have owned. Great to drive, wonderfully comfortable on long trips with kids and dogs, dependable. Did have one event with the brakes not working one night but nobody ever found anything wrong, we may have boiled the fluid by having the parking brake on, which is easy to do on this van. First major problems were the seat belt-airbag interlock going (very expensive), then the manifold leak that caused loss of heat in the winter-$500, now the wiring harness is corroded and they want to replace it and the airbag! My wife, an original Mini driver, still loves driving it, but with the kids almost grown, it may be time to move it on.

nice van - poor quality
By Randy P on 03/24/05 13:03 PM (PST)

1999 Pontiac Montana Minivan 4dr Ext Minivan

I have owned the Montana for about 4 years. I purchased it used with 40K miles. I like the ride, the comfort and the features. I do not like the poor quality and the continual repairs. Engine gasket leak, fuel gauge went out requiring replacement of whole fuel system at hundreds of dollars. Even a simple brake job is expensive because the rotors have to be replaced the first time because they were built with no room to turn them even once. Electrical problems with water leakage into lights caused the whole system to act up costing hundreds to diagnose and fix.... etc etc etc.

what I think of my Pontiac Montana
By Harold Bryant on 03/07/05 12:44 PM (PST)

1999 Pontiac Montana Minivan 4dr Minivan

I bought the vehicle new. It has 51000 miles on it. Tires are about a year old. I'm 76 years old and am wanting a new one like it. It has an extended warranty good until august of this year.