Used 2005 Pontiac GTO Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Pontiac Gto - Consumer Reviews

Base 6.0L V8 4-speed Automatic - (159 reviews )

Most Helpful|
Fast, Comfortable, Reliable.
By ultraworld

2005 Pontiac GTO 2dr Coupe (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned my '05 GTO since new, It has a 6 spd man trans & 30k miles on it. I have changed the exhaust system, added a CAI and stereo. The car has not cost me a dime other than gas & oil changes. It has never been to the dealer for a repair, not once. I have had a bit of trouble making back tires last, it's so much fun to drive. On the highway, it's a pleasure to drive. It's very smooth and quiet, it gets 24mpg on the highway and about 15mpg in the city. I average about 17mpg in mostly city driving. These are the most comfortable seats I have ever sat in, they are both 8 way power adj. w/man lumbar adj. There's a lot of rear seat room too, but it's difficult to get in/out of.

Favorite Features

The power, interior comfort, reliability, styling.

Suggested Improvements

Easier rear seat ingress/egress.

2005 GTO Sport Appearance Package (SAP)
By chuckdi

2005 Pontiac GTO 2dr Coupe (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I bought an 05 GTO with 18K miles with the sport appearance package or SAP which includes quad exhausts, cool side skirts, SAP front bumper and grills. Paint is Cyclone Gray. Added a JHP color matched gage pod for volts and engine oil pressure, chrome tail lights with red LED's, chrome aluminum wheels, GM Performance high flow oil pump, headers and 160 degree therm. Use ALT friction modifier to engine oil (6 oz.) and 1 oz. to power steering. ALT claims 48% reduction in friction. ALT is Advanced Lubrication Technology. Removed rear spoiler and painted trunk lid. At 54K miles, replaced rotors and pads and replaced auto trans fluid and differential fluid with GM friction modifier.

Favorite Features

Solid body construction from the Aussies. Bullet proof Corvette drive train.

Suggested Improvements

GM suspension uses rubber bushings instead of poly bushings. Pedder bushings and springs offers superior road handling comparable to the BMW M3. The Banchee hood from PFYC offers a true ram air fiber glass hood with much needed heat extractors. Bought 3 GTO's and 3 Corvette's in the past. New 05 GTO, used 04 GTO (6K miles), and used 05 GTO SAP, 05 used Corvette coupe, used 04 Corvette convertible, and used 011 Corvette coupe which I traded in for the 05 GTO SAP which I owned two years previously. Since I am a one car family, the GTO is more practical than a Corvette.

First step to building wealth
By gtodude

2005 Pontiac GTO 2dr Coupe (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

05' GTO M6 I originally bought this car because I got tired of "fix-her-up" lemons and Ricky racers. What I didn't expect is to fall in love with it at first site. I'm a gear head at heart and at time I forget to do work the car needs because I don't like to work on it. Not that its hard work or difficult,I just rather be driving. No car has made me feel this way up to now. But I assure you,soon enough I will do plenty of engine mods. For the money I really feel when it comes to used american muscle/sports cars that do everything "well". You really can't find a better car in market,I'm sure of it.

Favorite Features

Power and Interior first and foremorst. The stock engine makes MORE then enough power to satisfy what I need and will need for some time. The interior is in way timeless and although the car is now pushing 10 years old. the interior would rival some new cars today. Handling is predictable as it doesn't point you to Tree's like Mustangs tend to do.

Suggested Improvements

Outside of minor things the first thing this car can use now is suspension and drivetrain upgrades. It is said the the engine will go LONG after the suspension and drivetrain will. Once you do the suspension and drivetrain (which is not cheap believe me) you'll have an almost perfect car. As a single guy,it does everything I need it to do and then some.

amazing
By paul_johnson_gto

2005 Pontiac GTO 2dr Coupe (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

my car is the best car i have ever bought. i love my car. i would never trade it for another car. this car is smooth looking and gtes up and goes. it a great car for the price.

Favorite Features

i like the way the body looks and the way the interior looks. i love how the car handles and performs. it a great car.

Suggested Improvements

traction control.

Blue GTO
By torridgto

2005 Pontiac GTO 2dr Coupe (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

This car is a screamer, I put a k/n CAI, and a borla exhaust in my car. Now it sounds great, it sounded good when i first got it, and could lay down some rubber but now i could burn the tires right off if i wanted too (not like i couldn't when it was stock). last year i went on a trip to Colorado and the ride just never gets old its such a comfortable ride i Just love this car. Everybody should have one!!

Favorite Features

400hp LS2 engine, beefy exhaust note, takes great to mods, handles great, comfortable ride, nice tires, sweet sound system, 6 disc cd changer, and not everybody has one.

Suggested Improvements

CAI, and Borla catback exhaust adds 37 hp