2004 Pontiac GTO - Consumer Reviews

Base 5.7L V8 4-speed Automatic - (237 reviews )
Garbage
By sixatbat1 on 11/04/13 12:32 PM (PST)

2004 Pontiac GTO 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

Bought used with 65,000 miles. 6 speed manual. It was a great performer and very fun to drive, but had a plethora of problems. After I got rid of my Ford Ranger 4x4 (daily driver) this became my daily. Whenever I would accelerate and bring the car to about 4300 rpm, all electronics would cut off and the headlights would get brighter, sometimes causing the bulbs to blow. Had an airbag light go on for no reason and it seemed to fix itself. Rode like crap, handling was mediocre, and build quality was less than spectacular. But it sure sounded good. I blew mustangs away all the time. It can also lay down rubber like nobody's business too. And fuel milage was surprisingly good. Almost 30 MPG hwy.

Bought used with 7,000 miles
By kev924 on 04/25/13 12:57 PM (PDT)

2004 Pontiac GTO 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

I bought the car used in August of 2012 with 7,000 miles. It was the best bang (horsepower) for the buck I found while car shopping. I use the car as my daily driver. Plenty of power for everyday driving. Passing people is a breeze. No mechanical problems to date.

2004 bought used
By gm_dave on 02/10/13 17:38 PM (PST)

2004 Pontiac GTO 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased a one owner clean carfax GTO in December, 2012. The car developed some strange problems including the rocker panels filling with water (removing drain plugs solved the problem), which caused the interior floor to flood after it rained. The horn also went off randomly by itself and the air bag fault alarm was triggered by the airbag sensor located under the passenger seat. I had all of the aforementioned issues resolved and the car has been great since.

The best car I'll ever own!
By jere on 08/09/10 12:35 PM (PDT)

2004 Pontiac GTO 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

I've only owned my 04 GTO for a little over a week now, but have loved them ever since they re-released them. In this short time, I've come to the solemn reality that this is the best car I'll ever own! Everything about the way the car drives, handles, accelerates, brakes, was designed to perfection. Everyday I make a boring drive to a boring job, but I'm smiling ear-to-ear both to and from! My GTO is black, with black windows and black rims- very sleek. Anytime I'm just cruising around, I constantly see people turning their heads to watch me drive by and listen to the wonderful low rumble. I haven't pinpointed it yet- but there is just something about this car that is just menacing.

Car of my Dreams
By spitfirefl on 07/13/10 08:08 AM (PDT)

2004 Pontiac GTO 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

I am the original owner of my GTO and it fits me perfectly, It should have had two hood scoops, but it actually keeps me "under the radar". Great to drive, extremely reliable. They'll have to pry it out of dead hands. Best car I have ever owned. If i get a new car, I will still have my GTO.

Look Twice...
By grave555 on 05/09/10 16:15 PM (PDT)

2004 Pontiac GTO 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

I've owned and driven a truck for eight years. After finally getting a chance to get my long awaited sports car, I bought the Pontiac GTO. My 2004 model drives and feels like a European business coupe, but the pedal feels like good ol' American muscle. The new GTO is a unassuming beast, only recognized when you hear it roar.

Cheap Piece of Junk
By John on 04/25/10 20:23 PM (PDT)

2004 Pontiac GTO 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

The nose of this car is cheap plastic. It pulls off whenever the rear of the nose comes in contact with anything on the ground. The interior is also a very cheap plastic along with the siding under the car. Overall poor build quality. This car is not as fast as it should be with this kind of engine in it and the poor gas mileage it gets. It is heavier than most SUVs so power to weight ratio is terrible!

Love mine.
By Jason on 04/16/10 10:54 AM (PDT)

2004 Pontiac GTO 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

I have loved mine since I have purchased it. Wish it had the 05-06 Ram Air hood and dual exhaust but other than that I love it. I have replaced the box air filter with a K & N cold air intake. Removed the stock exhaust and replaced it with a Corsa exhaust and replaced the stock headers with a set of Edelbrock and love it. Are there cars out there faster? Sure, but there are not to many and a lot of those have some form of power adder. If you purchase one be prepared to have Mustangs, Charger's, and Challengers want to see what you got. You can show them or do what I do, let 'em go, because they are not even worth the gas.

Good car!
By beef on 03/29/10 05:17 AM (PDT)

2004 Pontiac GTO 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

So far so good; I usually get 20-21 mpg in mixed driving. Handles good; great acceleration; decent braking; plenty of room

Loving my Goat
By GTOTomP on 03/12/10 20:20 PM (PST)

2004 Pontiac GTO 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my GTO a few months ago and I love it. I have been a hardcore Camaro guy for some years now and I am happy with my change. It runs great and the interior layout is perfect for my taste. For the enthusiast who enjoys working on their own car the GTO has plenty of room under the hood to work. Great car!!!