2008 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP - Consumer Reviews

GXP 5.3L V8 4-speed Automatic - (32 reviews )
I'm done
By neveragain on 12/22/09 19:35 PM (PST)

2008 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Well, I love the interior and the sound of a V8 and that’s the extent of my love affair with this car. I have been towed to the dealership twice. Steering issues at the shop three times. Two additional home steering repairs. Serpentine belt tensioner rod broke… towed again! Multiple broken rims and blown tires… low profile and Michigan bad combo. Average MPG 21. Not great, since I drive 90 miles round trip to work daily, of which about 70 is hwy. I am actually paranoid when driving it now waiting for the next break down. I owe $11g on this beautiful heap and gotta get rid of it! Thanks Motor City!

Best Car Ever Made
By Janice on 12/09/09 12:11 PM (PST)

2008 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

The 2008 Grand Prix GXP is a blast to drive.this is my 4th Pontiac and are the more reliable cars on the road. Had a 98 Grand Am with over 250,000 on it when I sold it and it was still running a of 2 years ago (lost track of it). I love the power when you step on the accelerator you can feel the g's pulling you back in your seat.S for winter driving I had no problems in the 2009 winter here in the North Idaho. Put 4 studded tires on and went everywhere in 12" of snow and ice. The exterior could use a little more chrome here and there.

gas guzzler
By jon on 12/06/09 16:22 PM (PST)

2008 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this car for my wife with 30000 miles on it. It has been in the shop several times. Issues with not starting, rack and pinion leak, and trans slipping with 34000 miles. I also found out it was a Hertz rental. So it definitely has been beat on. mileage is not good, city is 14.5 no highway trips yet but definitely a thirsty engine.

GREAT CAR
By Alan on 10/01/09 11:49 AM (PDT)

2008 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

The best car I've owned in my 63 years of living. I'am 6'3" tall and have all the room I need. My 100lb German Shepard comes with me on errands and seats clean up easily. Again, great car!!!

love it, but material quality stinks!!!!
By thomas_cory2000 on 09/16/09 11:32 AM (PDT)

2008 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

The gas mileage sticker claimed 15/25. Well I get about that city but, highway I get usually 33mpg going 55mgh - gets 27 mpg going 65 mph (as long as I stay out of it). Brakes are amazing, handling is also amazing for a 4 door family car that weights 4,600lbs. My main complaint is the quality of the materials. I take very good care of my car and baby it! The leather on the seats is starting to wear more then my 5 year old Cadillac I had prior, the paint job stinks, it's starting to chip and wear in places it shouldn't for a 2 year old car and the interior is all plastic?? Shouldn't this problem with a $30,000 car.

Last year 2008 GP GXP goes out Winner!
By 69Judge on 09/13/09 14:31 PM (PDT)

2008 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

These GP GXP's are a terrific value right now. Very stylish inside and out. It is a blast to drive the V8 is strong and produces a great exhaust tone on the road, it handles the road with ease all instrumentation is easy to read and driver friendly. Everyone loves te suede leather bucket seats they are really comfortable. I have plenty of head/leg room. The 18 inch rims really make the car stand out in the parking lot. The GXP makes driving fun again, sporty with V8 power to match and all the extra options you'd expect from a luxury car. The 05-08 GXP's(14,800) are one of the automotive industry's best kept secrets!! I'm very, very happy with mine.

Lots of Problems - ready for a new car
By tsfergus on 05/21/09 06:22 AM (PDT)

2008 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Was fun to drive in the summer, but living in Michigan - it is single- handedly the worst vehicle I have ever driven on snow and ice. It was so bad that it could no longer be used on the freeway during the winter. Also, for over a year now, there is a constant squeaking noise coming from the front tire. Three times to the dealership, new brakes and they still can't find out what's wrong. Have also had a electronic system failure warning pop up on the dash display twice. Not very comforting when you drive on the freeway everyday. Overall, too many problem for a new car.

Sleeper GXP
By wzntme78 on 04/17/09 23:40 PM (PDT)

2008 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased this car with about 12,000 on it, as a former program car. The car right of the bat sold itself as far as performance and comfort went. I fell in love with the rumble of the exhaust..And punch the pedal and you can feel the pull. As for torque steer, we are talking about an big torgue high hp V-8 in a car...Not some little handa with 200 hp and no real torque, so of course you will have this at times. Just hold on and make sure you are aimed in a direction other than whats desired! Torque steer can also be found in any Cadillac fwd with the northstar!

An Honest Review
By stelo27 on 12/03/08 08:27 AM (PST)

2008 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I had a 2006 Grand Prix GT V6 Supercharged and fell in love with it. I have always been a big Mazda fan growing up but had to switch to Pontiac after trading in my Mazda 6S for the 06 Grand Prix GT. I had it for 8 months and then sadly wrecked it. So i turned around and jumped right back into a 2008 Grand Prix, but the GXP this time. I love it. There is room for improvement, which i believe they have accomplished it in the new G8, But people, this is an awsome car. Especially for the price. I got mine slightly used with 9k miles on it, it MSRP for $29800, but being that its the last year for the Grand Prix and with the G8 now available, I got my GP GXP for $19000 and you can't beat that.

Perfect Blend
By Dave on 06/30/08 11:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

After reading the Edmunds Editor review I have to conclude that he or she did not even drive the car. First of all the GXP V8 weighs less than the old 3.8 supercharged GTP and I have seen 0 - 60 in less than 6 seconds. This car is a great blend of performance, fun, comfort and if driven correctly on the highway can get super mileage. I have been averaging 29 mpg on the highway and can still punch it out from a red light and leave a nice cloud of smoke in the rear view mirror. True to the G8 is a great performance car, but try driving it in the snow. At least the GXP gives you the V8 push and still offers descent year round driving capabilities. Next time have your editor drive one.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.